Ostfront 2

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

Captain Cruft

RE: Ostfront 2

Post by Captain Cruft »

Here's what the strategic map looks like in-game now.

PPs are not produced anywhere but will be granted every turn on a randomised basis (Soviets get more).

Attachments
stratmap2.jpg
stratmap2.jpg (290.6 KiB) Viewed 93 times
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

Wow! Great work on the map. Looks like a ton of work went into it.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

It has and still is :-)
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

Well "hats off" for the effort. One thing seems a little odd is the amount of map east of the Leningrad-Moscow-Stalingrad 'datum'. Interesting but do you envision a specific purpose for that territory ?
History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Well the Soviets will be able to evacuate factories to the Urals, and it's only fair that the Germans have a theoretical chance to invade and/or bomb those areas. The Urals is also a more realistic entry point for "Siberian reinforcements" and Pacific Lend-Lease than points further west.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Wow, that's massive indeed. Almost leaves me speechless [:)]
Randomised PP's you say? is that totally randomized or are there some variables involved? Like a base PP production plus some added bonusses based on captured territory, captured towns and ports, destroyed enemy units and so on.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Each side will get a base amount of PPs per turn. Right now GE gets 0-5 PPs per turn and SO gets 0-8. The main thing PPs will be used for is creating units, and the Soviets will need to do a lot more of this. However neither side will be able to create HQs, these will start on map or arrive as reinforcements.

I may introduce bonus PPs for certain events, something like the DCCB system, but that is not something I have worked out yet. My aim is to get the basic game infrastructure up and running first and to have a full 4 year game playable on that basis.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Josh,

This is nothing like as big as Grymme's Fire in the East scenario. I also hope to keep the micro-management to a minimum, for example by abstracting partisans.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

This is what the date-based Research basically looks like.

What it means is that in approximately August 1944 the Jagdpanther will become available for production. At that time a message will be shown to the player. The actual date of arrival is randomised, and (when I've worked out how to do it) will be able to be accelerated using Action Cards, although not by more than a month or two.

Attachments
jagd.jpg
jagd.jpg (112.07 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

I have finished the Moscow area. Unfortunately I had to abbreviate several town names, but there was just no room to do otherwise.

Attachments
moscowfinished.jpg
moscowfinished.jpg (203.94 KiB) Viewed 85 times
ANTONIOr

Post by ANTONIOr »

wow captain [X(]

thank you for your effort ,it s gonna be a serious "wargame" , as such those in war academies [:D]

can t wait ...[:)]

Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

The Berlin area (without hex outlines).

Attachments
berlin.jpg
berlin.jpg (139.32 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

ORIGINAL: ANTONIOr

wow captain [X(]

thank you for your effort ,it s gonna be a serious "wargame" , as such those in war academies [:D]

can t wait ...[:)]

Thank you.

I can't wait either, but it will be a long time before I have something playable. Work and domesticity intervene constantly ;-)
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with putting the towns on. However, alongside this I am developing the movecosts matrix, as below. This is based on 4 day turns.

Attachments
movematrix.jpg
movematrix.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Finally all the Towns are on the map. Not a task I would ever want to repeat but it's done.

I now just need to give the whole map a careful check over for things like missing bridges and superfluous river hex-sides, then I can package it up for the Scenariobank.
Jeffrey H.

Post by Jeffrey H. »

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

I am finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with putting the towns on. However, alongside this I am developing the movecosts matrix, as below. This is based on 4 day turns.

I did some searching for systained march rates and found this old WWII era Time magazine article...

"...The Germans announced last week that infantry forces had for 16 days advanced at the rate of 22 miles a day. This was extraordinary speed.

The U.S. Army considers 14 miles a day good speed, 16 miles exceptional. There have been few more spectacular marches. During the siege of Gergovia, Caesar's men marched 50 miles in one day, fought a battle, marched back next day; but that one was an overnight stunt. Napoleon's crack Imperial Guard marched 33 miles a day for 13 days in the campaign against Prussia, 1806. World's record for sustained marching belongs to Alexander, who after the Battle..."

So lets say 14 miles/day with 4 day turns would net out at 56 miles. So with 10 odd mile hexes, it's looking like infantry can move around 5 to 6 hexes. IS that about what you were aiming for ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

It's not really as scientific as that. Basically the maximum speed possible is 50 miles per day (20 hexes per turn), as reflected in the WHL-F rate in Clear (which should read as 5 not 6). Everything else is then scaled down relative to that.

Thanks for those numbers though, they will certainly help with setting the INF rates.

Everything is subject to change and it will be ages before I get to testing this stuff out. The production system has to go on first. I just wanted to get the Movement Group names attached to the LandscapeTypes before releasing the map.
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

OK the map is now up on the Scenariobank.

http://advancedtactics.org/scenario.php?nr=195
LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy »

Download map.

That's an amazing map, beautiful graphics.[&o]
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

Thanks [:)]

Most of the graphics are just the standard Alt.Gfx stuff. I just modified the rail and rivers to differentiate between the different types.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”