World in Flames v1.03 Update now Available!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Andrew Loveridge

World in Flames v1.03 Update now Available!

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Change History:

v1.0.3 - November 18, 2013

Second Post-Release Update
    Windows Advisory[/b] [ul] • Languages with double byte characters (e.g., Chinese and Japanese) cannot be used to play World in Flames at this time. To change your system’s language to English: go to Control panel-> Regional and language -> select tap: system management -> change the non-Unicode language to English (US). Then restart the computer.
Bug Fixes
    • For NetPlay, fixed a problem with starting a new NetPlay game. This bug was introduced in version 1.0.2. These modifications return the program’s behavior for starting a NetPlay game to what had been before version 1.0.2. • Added a check for a colon (‘:’) in a filename. A colon indicates that the characters in front of the colon are for a disk drive or equivalent. The equivalent may include an IP address in the form ww.xx.yy.zz, which obviously has a lot of periods, which are now ignored when checking for more than 1 period. • For NetPlay, changed the messages for when the program is unable to connect to the NetPlay forum server or the NetPlay Game-in-Progress server so the messages are less cryptic. • For NetPlay, added a check to avoid a fatal crash when moving the mouse on the detailed map after terminating a NetPlay game to restore another NetPlay game. A change in version 1.0.2 prevents restoring a NetPlay game from within a NetPlay game, so this check is probably unnecessary, but this redundancy doesn’t hurt anything. • Added a check to avoid a fatal crash when terminating a NetPlay game that had problems in the Air-to-air combat sub-phase. • Added a check to avoid a rare, but fatal, crash when using the Reorganize form. • Added a check to avoid a rare, but fatal, crash when calculating supply. • Added a check to avoid a very rare, but fatal, problem when moving HQ units. • Added a check to avoid a fatal error when a player clicks on a blank cell in the Flyouts. • Added a conditional statement to trap problems initializing a media player for sound effects. The program now generates a warning message when that problem occurs.
Cosmetic
    • Corrected a couple of typos in the Blucher unit write-up.
[/ul]
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/
Kathi51!

RE: World in Flames v1.03 Update now Available!

Post by Kathi51! »

Dear All,

having just succumbed to temptation and ordered, I would be most grateful for advice concerning PC hardware issues:

As I have in my life not possessed a pc and would imagine the official hard ware requirements to be somewhat generic, the question is:

Has anybody out there ideas, recommendations ... towards the hardware optimal for game play?

As I will go shopping anyway, I might as well get it right.

Anything special I might want to think of?

Very much looking forward to feedback...
Der Tod des Vergil
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Kathi51!

Dear All,

having just succumbed to temptation and ordered, I would be most grateful for advice concerning PC hardware issues:

As I have in my life not possessed a pc and would imagine the official hard ware requirements to be somewhat generic, the question is:

Has anybody out there ideas, recommendations ... towards the hardware optimal for game play?

As I will go shopping anyway, I might as well get it right.

Anything special I might want to think of?

Very much looking forward to feedback...
Wow!

What is your budget? Do you intend to use the computer for other activities? How much space do you have available for the computer system? Do you want the computer to be portable?

Visualize how you would like the computer to fit into your life. What time of day you will access it. How critical will is it that you don't have any problems with it?

There are a lot of choices. Did you have a store in mind for where you will shop? That may limit the selection & people's advice.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Kathi51!

Post by Kathi51! »

Hi there!

Thanks for the lightning speed response:

Budget- What it takes...

Other activities- nope - a wif machine! I'm a MAC guy otherwise.

Space - a very large desk/ 3 - 4 22+ inch monitors would not present a problem. From board WIF experience I would imagine 2 x 22 maybe larger + 1 smaller should work out?

As far as the other points are concerned: I would be looking for an " as stable as possible " system and hope to spend a much time as possible wiffing.

General PC support and hardware availabillity should not be the issue.

So it´s me more or less looking for the "in game perspective"for configuration.

Thanks in advance and best regards

Der Tod des Vergil
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Budget- What it takes...

You are a blessed person. I wish I could be so lucky. :o)
Shannon V. OKeets

Hi there!

Budget- What it takes...

Space - a very large desk/ 3 - 4 22+ inch monitors would not present a problem. From board WIF experience I would imagine 2 x 22 maybe larger + 1 smaller should work out?

As far as the other points are concerned: I would be looking for an " as stable as possible " system and hope to spend a much time as possible wiffing.

Okay, I'll take a crack at this. This is what I would buy.

1 - fast CPU (I don't know exactly what is considered fast these days) but you don't need super fast. Bells, but no whistles?
2 - 8 GB main memory. You can get by with less.
3 - 0.5 TB to 1 TB disk space. You don't really need that much but disk memory is cheap.
4 - internet connection
5 - two 27" monitors + one 17". Or you could go with two 30" Dell U3014 which is what I just bought a month ago. I don't think you would need a third monitor then. The 3 monitors would cost less.
6 - graphics card(s) that support those 3 or 4 monitors. DVI connections. You do not need anything special in a graphics card. Support for the DVI connections to the monitors is all. I just bought a replace card when I got the 30 " monitors and there are dozens of cards to choose from, even by just one manufacturer. Most of them are for high speed and/or 3D graphics. You don't need any of that for MWIF. I bought an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650.
7 - I really like the wireless keyboard and mouse by Logitech I've been using for the past 3 years.
8 - Some kind of power strip to protect against power surges.

Not much in the way of software. You can, and would prefer to, use your MAC for correspondence I would guess.
Steve

Kathi51!

Post by Kathi51! »

Perfect.

Many Thanks!
Der Tod des Vergil
Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

Neither the updater nor the ftp site is working.
Jim Cobb
Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I am getting my disk today, then the game is going onto my computer. Do I have to separately download updates 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 or just 1.03? Thanks.

I'm barely computer literate, only a casual user of computers, if the question above is a bit dopey.

Anthony DeChristopher
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Gendarme

I am getting my disk today, then the game is going onto my computer. Do I have to separately download updates 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 or just 1.03? Thanks.

I'm barely computer literate, only a casual user of computers, if the question above is a bit dopey.

Anthony DeChristopher

Install using the disk. Start the program, then click on the update button. The Updater will do the rest for you.
Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Thanks Axe
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

The updates are comprehensive, so you only need the latest one. The easiest way to update is to click on the "Check for Update" link in the menu that appears when you double-click on your World in Flames desktop shortcut. The backup if that doesn't work for you for whatever reason, is to go here: http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/ and click on the latest update link to download it, then run the included .exe installer to install the update.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ecca74

Post by Ecca74 »

The Updater doesn't work, and the ftp is down also :(
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Hi there!

Budget- What it takes...

Okay, I'll take a crack at this. This is what I would buy.

1 - fast CPU (I don't know exactly what is considered fast these days) but you don't need super fast. Bells, but no whistles?
2 - 8 GB main memory. You can get by with less.
3 - 0.5 TB to 1 TB disk space. You don't really need that much but disk memory is cheap.
4 - internet connection
5 - two 27" monitors + one 17". Or you could go with two 30" Dell U3014 which is what I just bought a month ago. I don't think you would need a third monitor then. The 3 monitors would cost less.
6 - graphics card(s) that support those 3 or 4 monitors. DVI connections. You do not need anything special in a graphics card. Support for the DVI connections to the monitors is all. I just bought a replace card when I got the 30 " monitors and there are dozens of cards to choose from, even by just one manufacturer. Most of them are for high speed and/or 3D graphics. You don't need any of that for MWIF. I bought an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650.
7 - I really like the wireless keyboard and mouse by Logitech I've been using for the past 3 years.
8 - Some kind of power strip to protect against power surges.

Not much in the way of software. You can, and would prefer to, use your MAC for correspondence I would guess.
Wow. Is that ever overkill for a MWIF machine. I use a virtual machine to run the game on my Linux laptop. You could easily do the same on your Mac for the price of a Windows 7 licence. I mean, those specs are good and somewhat future proof if all you plan to own is a PC, but in your case? Too much. Then again, triple monitor would make playing MWIF a joy, so if money isn't an issue, go for it!
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
Shannon V. OKeets

Hey, my first question was about budget.[X(]

His goal seemed to be to separate MWIF from his other stuff (on the MAC). I can relate to that - I just can't realize it.[;)]
Steve

Moltke71

Post by Moltke71 »

ORIGINAL: Ecca74

The Updater doesn't work, and the ftp is down also :(

True dat. First healthcare.gov then the update server - oh, the humanity! [:D]
Jim Cobb
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Update 1.03 does not download here either.Error says to go to Matrigames site, so here I am...
Jones944

Post by Jones944 »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Hey, my first question was about budget.[X(]

His goal seemed to be to separate MWIF from his other stuff (on the MAC). I can relate to that - I just can't realize it.[;)]
Yes, I know. The machine you described is one that I would like to play the game on too! One should consider your specs to be the top end and mine (with a "free" windows license) to be the bottom end. I'd much rather have a system matching your specs than the 1280x800 laptop screen that I've got!
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"
sunlit uplands

Post by sunlit uplands »

Assembling PC components is pretty easy, so don't be afraid to "DIY". Here is what I would recommend for the performance-critical components:

$67 Intel G3220
$77 8GB 1600Mhz RAM G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL
$80 120GB SSD Kingston SV300S37A
$75 MSI B85-G41 Motherboard

For a monitor I would recommend the Monoprice 27" IPS 2560x1440, despite the $450 sticker shock. Those pixels really make a huge difference over typical 1080p displays.
Andrew Loveridge

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

It is working now for me, both through the updater and the download page.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

Are you still having issues?

Best Regards,
Andrew

Return to “World in Flames”