Maps + Wall - Putting up Experience ?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Furbet

Maps + Wall - Putting up Experience ?

Post by Furbet »

Hi,

I now have the map pack and they are currently flattening - all those folds.

I have a wall (not big enough - but who needs the pacific anyway ?)

My question is has anybody tried to put them on a wall yet ? - it's very glossy paper, what glue/paste did you use ? - did it work out well ?

How did you convince 'the better half' it would be a good idea ?

Any problems to look out for ?

Thanks

Missouri_Rebel

RE: Maps + Wall - Putting up Experience ?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Subeto

Yes. That better half.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I would just get some thin steel sheets, attach using nails/screws, and use magnets to keep the maps up. That way if someone asks "When is that eyesore going to come down?" You can say "Right away maam!" [:D]
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

I would just get some thin steel sheets, attach using nails/screws, and use magnets to keep the maps up. That way if someone asks "When is that eyesore going to come down?" You can say "Right away maam!" [:D]

In that way you can also put magnets under your counters and actually use them.

I have the same situation, but if I am going to do this I will hire a professional to this well. The maps are just too beautifull to let an amature ruin them.
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

Think my other half would rather see the maps than steel sheets on the walls :) how many tabletennis tables do they cover? I have them and a room that can take two and a half TT tables fitted together is that big enough ? from looking at them as they arrived today I suspect not :)
We're here for a good time not a long time!
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

TT are 9X5 feet. Assuming put togeather lengthwise you will have about 9X12 area to fit the maps on [:(] So you would need about 5 TT in order to use the maps [X(]. Obviously the optimum option is to just move to a bigger house [:D]
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

TT are 9X5 feet. Assuming put togeather lengthwise you will have about 9X12 area to fit the maps on [:(] So you would need about 5 TT in order to use the maps [X(]. Obviously the optimum option is to just move to a bigger house [:D]
I am pretty sure you will only need 8 feet of vertical wall if you are willing to lose a few meaningless hexrows at the tip of South America. You should be able to keep the southernmost port in the game.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Yes. That better half.

OMG! That had me laugh so much I almost p**d my pants?????

My better half would never ever let me put that kind of map in my Office aka man cave, absolutely not! Just so I could put a new bookcase with all my RPG figurines (134 of them) of elves, dragons, warriors, mages, catapults, ogres etc......I had to buy her a new 2013 Mercedes C 300 class with all those options and had to have it custom made in Deutschland and shipped to Canada...............This time she would want either a $million diamond or a brand New 2014 Bentley Flying Spur just to get permission to put those maps up.........actually I would love to have that Bentley...............but that is another story???
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

Are there going to be map variations offered in the future such as start lines for various scenarios, historical references, etc for the Wall Map? Will this edition Map Pack be a one & only issue? (This map is so superb that Im collecting it even if its never used.) [:D]
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

Are there going to be map variations offered in the future such as start lines for various scenarios, historical references, etc for the Wall Map? Will this edition Map Pack be a one & only issue? (This map is so superb that Im collecting it even if its never used.) [:D]
I do not foresee any future variations.
Steve

boshar

Post by boshar »

Still thinking about which part of the map I'm going to sacrifice. I'm considering to use the F1 maps as starting point (Eastern Canada, US). I wil run out of wall when I reach the E1 maps but that way I 'only' mis the Western US and have most of the Pacific Theatre intact.

The maps wil only be used for planning world domination in WiF and real world scenarios [:D] the West Coast can safely sleep as I will be unaware of its existence.
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Hi,

My question is has anybody tried to put them on a wall yet ? - it's very glossy paper, what glue/paste did you use ? - did it work out well ?

Thanks

Call me crazy, but I am going to mount it on a table top, covered with a thin thin layer of glass.. that way we can always play it when I buy the counters, and it will double as a game room table.. this is down the road of course..
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I thought of this too but my regular size WiF game is on a 4' X 8' table and it is a bit awkward to reach the middle of the map without upsetting unit stacks near the edges with your shirt sleeves or other parts of your clothing. It would be extremely difficult reaching more than double this distance.

Paul
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I thought of this too but my regular size WiF game is on a 4' X 8' table and it is a bit awkward to reach the middle of the map without upsetting unit stacks near the edges with your shirt sleeves or other parts of your clothing. It would be extremely difficult reaching more than double this distance.

Agreed.

I have seen the magnetized version on the wall...looks like it could work
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Agreed.

I have seen the magnetized version on the wall...looks like it could work
Rather than one large table, splitting the map so segments are on different tables, with an aisle in between, might be a solution.
Steve

AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: boshar

Still thinking about which part of the map I'm going to sacrifice. I'm considering to use the F1 maps as starting point (Eastern Canada, US). I wil run out of wall when I reach the E1 maps but that way I 'only' mis the Western US and have most of the Pacific Theatre intact.

The maps wil only be used for planning world domination in WiF and real world scenarios [:D] the West Coast can safely sleep as I will be unaware of its existence.

When you are finished, Centuur and I probably would like to admire your work. You're probably only one hex away?
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

Hi,

Thanks

Call me crazy, but I am going to mount it on a table top, covered with a thin thin layer of glass.. that way we can always play it when I buy the counters, and it will double as a game room table.. this is down the road of course..

I did this with plexiglass. I then used some wood for risers, and bought plastic covers for office style lights and laid them over the wood risers. I used them when I wasn't playing as a shield for the counters and to mitigate four legged interventions.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

ORIGINAL: boshar

When you are finished, Centuur and I probably would like to admire your work. You're probably only one hex away?

Yes, I would like to see it...
Peter
Ubercat

Post by Ubercat »

Mount the map on a rotating metal cylinder with a circumference exactly equal to the width of the map (21'?). Also, have a recess in the floor that the cylinder can lower into. It should be easy to adjust the "world" so that any region you need to work with can be adjusted to your chest height. Or lower than that if you want to sit in a chair and play. Yes, you need a professional to do it! Professional what, I'm not sure. Engineer?

Oh, and of course you'll still need magnets for all the counters.
"I’m not convinced that faith can move mountains, but I’ve seen what it can do to skyscrapers." -William H. Gascoyne
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I have played World in Flames on a wall. (we just used the maps from the box, unmodified counters, and a whole lot of poster putty, worked OK, but this was in 5th edition with a lower counter density than Super Deluxe, and a lot of the world still at "Asian" scale rather than the all-European scale on the MWiF maps.

one thing you need is to have the main areas of land conflict (northern Europe, China) at eye level or just below. the result of this is that a full map of Africa won't fit on the wall, directly below Europe. there are a few other such implications around the world.

so to realistically do it, you have to figure out what to do with all the mapped areas that are unlikely to see any counters at all, and when they are, will only be units in transit, well behind any combat front line.

which will lead you to using some sort of "off-map" boxes or pools or something, as on the edges of the World in Flames paper maps. It wouldn't be all that hard to home-brew up a solution for these realities.

I would get some experience playing the game well before one mounts the map of South America on a wall.

Return to “World in Flames”