Creating a PBEM scenario

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin, IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian

Panta_slith

Creating a PBEM scenario

Post by Panta_slith »

In view of the present problems found to play certain PBEM scenarios, I wonder if it is possible to create head-to-head scenarios that work for two players. Actually I would like to know why head-to-head scenarios are more suitable for PBEM, since when creating a battle from scratch you are not asked if it is to be played by two humans or in solo against the AI.
Panta Astiazarán
CapnDarwin

RE: Creating a PBEM scenario

Post by CapnDarwin »

In the case of the scenarios done for the game Steve (Mad Russian) has adjusted start locations, VP locations and such to make the battle more challenging from the "play this side" side. In most cases a head to head setup has deeper starting zones and less VP "bread crumbs" for the AI. I'm sure MR can comment more.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Panta_slith

Post by Panta_slith »

The first thing it came to my mind reading about H2H was precisely scenario balance, but my badly presented question really was if H2H battles have something "special" in terms of programming that make PBEM more stable.
As per balance, an easy and relatively fast way to do it would be to take an already made military decision-making scenario and translate it to FPC. You can find quite a few in Armor Magazine, for instance.
Panta Astiazarán
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

H2H scenarios have less controls on them. I'm not concerned with how the AI moves across the map. I'm not so concerned with the timing of reinforcements. I don't have to set up forces for one side or the other.

There are more balanced scoring opportunities for each side.

At least that's how I view the difference between a H2H scenario and one that the AI will have a side in.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”