Convoys Clarification

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dr. Foo

Convoys Clarification

Post by Dr. Foo »

1. If I am not using the optional rules limiting oversea supply are my units overseas in supply regardless of enemy naval units in the zone?

2. If the above is true, then do I only use convoys to move resources?

3. The number on the top left of the convoy (the convoy point) is that equal to the number of resources being transported? Such as, is a 5 convoy is transporting 5 resources? Or does the number of hexes with a resource icon play a role, say there are two resources and I have five convoys am I transporting 5, 2, or just one resource with 5 convoy points?

4. If there is only one resource in the zone am I wasting convoys if I put more than one in the zone? I assume you would want some redundancy in case one is sunk but would it be a waste to place say, 8 points in a zone with one resource.

Thanks for looking and any feedback is greatly appreciated. [&o]

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
warspite1

RE: Convoys Clarification

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

1. If I am not using the optional rules limiting oversea supply are my units overseas in supply regardless of enemy naval units in the zone?

2. If the above is true, then do I only use convoys to move resources?

3. The number on the top left of the convoy (the convoy point) is that equal to the number of resources being transported? Such as, is a 5 convoy is transporting 5 resources? Or does the number of hexes with a resource icon play a role, say there are two resources and I have five convoys am I transporting 5, 2, or just one resource with 5 convoy points?

4. If there is only one resource in the zone am I wasting convoys if I put more than one in the zone? I assume you would want some redundancy in case one is sunk but would it be a waste to place say, 8 points in a zone with one resource.

Thanks for looking and any feedback is greatly appreciated. [&o]

warspite1

1. 2.4.2 Tracing Supply.

You cannot trace a supply path into a sea area that contains an enemy CV, SCS or aircraſt unit with an air-to-sea factor unless it also contains a surface naval unit or aircraſt unit with an air to-sea factor, controlled by any major power or
minor country at war with that enemy unit.

2. Yes (unless playing the limited overseas supply)

3. You can transport one resource per convoy point. So if you have a chain of convoys from the source to the destination and each sea box has 5 convoy points, you are only transporting 2 resources if that is all that is contained in the source. Remember you can "pick-up" resources along the way if the convoy path goes past more resource sources, up to the maximum (in this case) of 5.

4. The convoy points are limited and precious (esp for CW and Japan) in a "hotspot" I would tend to keep any surplus in a nearby port rather than at sea where they risk getting sunk.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
henri51

Post by henri51 »

Then I presume that if you have a line of convoys of different levels (say they are all 5 and one is level 1), then the number of resources you can transport is equal to the smallest convoy in the line (one resource in this case)? If true this would imply that one should have the number of convoys in different sea zones as equal as possible, while taking into account possible redundancy (i.e. if there is only one convoy in a zone and it is destroyed, the supply line is cut).
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: henri51

Then I presume that if you have a line of convoys of different levels (say they are all 5 and one is level 1), then the number of resources you can transport is equal to the smallest convoy in the line (one resource in this case)? If true this would imply that one should have the number of convoys in different sea zones as equal as possible, while taking into account possible redundancy (i.e. if there is only one convoy in a zone and it is destroyed, the supply line is cut).
warspite1

Correct - in this case you have one resource being received at the destination.

Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Good information. Thank you warspite1.
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

One other point that I could not tell if you understood from the posts: you can right click, choose naval units, and either split or merge convoys. You are not forced to keep the starting denominations.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

One other point that I could not tell if you understood from the posts: you can right click, choose naval units, and either split or merge convoys. You are not forced to keep the starting denominations.

Yes, I do know that CP can be split. What I'm having trouble with is making the determination of how many points are too many or too low to assign to each leg of the pipeline.
Edfactor

Post by Edfactor »

That depends on exactly where that 1 CP sea zone is located of course.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Edfactor

That depends on exactly where that 1 CP sea zone is located of course.
warspite1

Why is that?

Orm

Post by Orm »

Yes, I do know that CP can be split. What I'm having trouble with is making the determination of how many points are too many or too low to assign to each leg of the pipeline.
This is a CW convoy pipeline that I made that has no extra CP out at sea. Each point is used to transport a resource or oil.

Attachments
041SetupCWglobalmap.jpg
041SetupCWglobalmap.jpg (460.3 KiB) Viewed 414 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

This is a CW convoy pipeline that I made that has no extra CP out at sea. Each point is used to transport a resource or oil.

warspite1

Orm what are the 2 CP from S.China to the Cape Basin transporting? Is it the oil from NEI? What about the Burma, Indian resources? The 5 in Gulf of Guinea - are these picking up the South African and Northern Rhodesian? If so, to which port do they go from?

Orm

Post by Orm »

Yes, the three "extra" CP in Gulf of the Guinea pick up the three CW resources in the south part of Africa. The minor ports I use is Benguella in Angola (Portugal) or Boma in Belgian Congo.

The 2 CP in S China Sea transport the oil to Singapore. Or to India with help from the CP in Bay of Bengal. This depends on whether I will transport the two resources from Malaya to India or not.

I transport two resources from India to UK.

The Burma oil is used for reorganization or saved in Burma.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes, the three "extra" CP in Gulf of the Guinea pick up the three CW resources in the south part of Africa. The minor ports I use is Benguella in Angola (Portugal) or Boma in Belgian Congo.

The 2 CP in S China Sea transport the oil to Singapore. Or to India with help from the CP in Bay of Bengal. This depends on whether I will transport the two resources from Malaya to India or not.

warspite1

Thank-you.

Ahhh! so if you save oil in Burma the only restriction on its use (for reorganisation) is that the unit(s) needs to trace a railway supply path (length not a factor)? So would be useful for an Eastern/Pacific Fleet?

Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Wow, I hope that one day I'll have a firm grasp on this, but right now I just wish there was an auto-convoy option or some simplified convoy rules for newbies. I'll get it, these installations really help. [&o]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I have a French Convoy point showing as disorganised. Can it still transport Oil?

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Thank-you.

Ahhh! so if you save oil in Burma the only restriction on its use (for reorganisation) is that the unit(s) needs to trace a railway supply path (length not a factor)? So would be useful for an Eastern/Pacific Fleet?
No. It is even better than that. The Burma oil can be used to reorganize all over the world.

Cut from RAC: 13.5.1 Oil
You do not have to transport the oil anywhere. But you must be able to trace a path from the unit to the oil
resource. This path is exactly like a basic supply path (including via overseas) (see 2.4.2) except that it can be of
any length. [Clarification. Only oil in friendly territory may be used. This means that oil in Persia and Venezuela
can not be used if it resides in neutral territory - Jan. 30, 1997.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I have a French Convoy point showing as disorganised. Can it still transport Oil?
A CP at sea should not be disorganized. But it should still be able to transport oil.

But I can't think of any reason it should be disorganized.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

warspite1

Thank-you.

No. It is even better than that. The Burma oil can be used to reorganize all over the world.

Cut from RAC: 13.5.1 Oil
You do not have to transport the oil anywhere. But you must be able to trace a path from the unit to the oil
resource. This path is exactly like a basic supply path (including via overseas) (see 2.4.2) except that it can be of
any length. [Clarification. Only oil in friendly territory may be used. This means that oil in Persia and Venezuela
can not be used if it resides in neutral territory - Jan. 30, 1997.
warspite1

Right - sorry I got my railway and basic mixed up. One more question on this please - if I have two fleets e.g. Med and Pacific and saved oil in Burma + Cairo. Both fleets can trace a basic supply path to both oil cities.

However, only my Eastern Fleet needs reorganising. Can I ensure that the Burma oil is used for that purpose and NOT the Cairo oil - or is there no control over this aspect?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

A CP at sea should not be disorganized. But it should still be able to transport oil.

warspite1

There you go. I have been transporting oil from Canada to Bordeaux for ages now, and the saved oil shows in Bordeaux - but I have been able to use none of it [&:]

Attachments
Frong.jpg
Frong.jpg (247.52 KiB) Viewed 411 times

Orm

Post by Orm »

warspite1

There you go. I have been transporting oil from Canada to Bordeaux for ages now, and the saved oil shows in Bordeaux - but I have been able to use none of it [&:]

Have you traded the oil to France?

Edit: I now can think of one reason the CP should be disorganized but it should not affect the transport capacity. [:)]

Return to “WIF School”