Please Instruct me

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

WIF_Killzone

Please Instruct me

Post by WIF_Killzone »

How do I see carrier planes on a carrier, I bring up various forms and no carrier planes are ever shown on a carrier? Driving me nuts!!
Numdydar

RE: Please Instruct me

Post by Numdydar »

These should be listed in the naval details screen if the planes are based on the CVs. If you see no planes listed with the CVs on that form, then the AC have not been assigned to the CVs and you need to rebased them to the CVs
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

Are you using the Carrier plane option??
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Not sure, winging it (no pun intended) but no carrier planes show on any carriers in Guad scenario
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Check your option choices and see if you are playing with them.
Paul
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Double click on any all sea hex and put the cursor over the port or hex with the carries, if there are planes on the carriers they will show up together.

I've got that much down, but I cannot rebase carrier planes. Nope, nothing happens, it's the rebase phase, the planes are available but I cannot get then loaded to a carrier. I've tired flying them to the port, moving then in Naval Details noting happens. The units are not out of supply or disorganized so I'm lost...I know who I am going to visit next week. [:D]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

I feel your pain, I see carriers out there with what appears to be no carrier planes, what idiot would set up a game with 4 carriers at sea with no planes on them, they have to be there, common guys im talking about turn one of Guad?? Load it, cycle me thru the phases/key strokes, im so frusrated
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

You need to check the optional rules to see if you are even using CV based planes. If not, the planes are assumes to be built into the CV's numbers. So you will NOT see ANY planes on the CVs. I suggest you RTFM [:)]
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

ok, I give, ill check it out, thanks!
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

How do I see carrier planes on a carrier, I bring up various forms and no carrier planes are ever shown on a carrier? Driving me nuts!!

Are you playing Guadalcanal fast start? If you are you are playing novice rules, when you see my AAR's I created a new game and used the carrier plane rule that is why you see planes on my carriers, I apoligize I should have indentified the AAR as a new game start. My bad

Bo
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

I went into view, optional rules, but it doesn't say which rules this game is using nor can I change the rules, im still frustrate, grrrrr.
bo

Post by bo »

Calm down take a lorazapan Killzone no more grrr's please [:D] Did you read my post about fast start above? To find the optional rules in effect why dont you do what I did, I went to the interface clicked on info and wallah optional rules in effect for the game your playing.

I know it really takes a little time to get to know the interface and such but after a few times it will be like water rolling off of a ducks back. I am almost afraid to say this but here goes "no you cannot change the optional rules in the game you are playing."

Attachments
optionalrules.jpg
optionalrules.jpg (188.99 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

On the left columnn, under "additional units" in Bo's screenshot, you should see "Carrier Planes." If the option is on, it will say (ON).

But even if you have carrier planes off, your carriers still have planes. They're "inherent" planes. They'll appear if your carriers get involved in a naval-air engagement, for example. It's probably best to play with the carrier plane option off for your first game.
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

thanks bo, but does this form show the rules chosen for this game or just all optional rule info?
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

thanks bo, but does this form show the rules chosen for this game or just all optional rule info?

For the game. On the list next to some rules is (ON) meaning for the current game that rule is on.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
bo

Post by bo »

They are all the optional rules but after each rule if you see the word "on" they are on for that option if nothing is there then that rule is "off."
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

Now I see, thanks!!! Funny I cant remember how to play without carriers planes, (i.e. planes in flames)--this helps tho, I think ill skip Guad scenario unless I can change the rules? is there a way to do that? No biggee if not.
bo

Post by bo »

Now I see, thanks!!! Funny I cant remember how to play without carriers planes, (i.e. planes in flames)--this helps tho, I think ill skip Guad scenario unless I can change the rules? is there a way to do that? No biggee if not.

You are way up on me about WIF you played it before, I never saw it to a year ago. You will be teaching me soon [;)]

Here is a suggestion for you consideration, Do new game and follow the instructions and put in the rules you would like to see, you are going to have to do it sooner or later I love the carrier plane and pilot rule, I think some people fear the setup tray but it really is easy.

One thing I might suggest if you use the carrier rule place one carrier at a time in the port you choose and then put whatever air wing you want on it provided they fit remember maxium 2 air units on one carrier and they have to fit and agree with their same numbers in the square box on the carrier and the plane.

Again one last reminder when you use fast start please after you open the game go to save and create a "save as" EG: Fast start test, fast start xxx and use that for the rest of the game leave the original fast start alone, because you could accidently overwrite it.

CAREFUL

Bo
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: bo

You are way up on me about WIF you played it before, I never saw it to a year ago. You will be teaching me soon [;)]

Here is a suggestion for you consideration, Do new game and follow the instructions and put in the rules you would like to see, you are going to have to do it sooner or later I love the carrier plane and pilot rule, I think some people fear the setup tray but it really is easy.

One thing I might suggest if you use the carrier rule place one carrier at a time in the port you choose and then put whatever air wing you want on it provided they fit remember maxium 2 air units on one carrier and they have to fit and agree with their same numbers in the square box on the carrier and the plane.

Again one last reminder when you use fast start please after you open the game go to save and create a "save as" EG: Fast start test, fast start xxx and use that for the rest of the game leave the original fast start alone, because you could accidently overwrite it.

CAREFUL

Bo
The next Official Update (due out soon) will include a new folder with the 4 Fast Start saved games as Read Only. So if you accidentally write over a Fast Start saved game in a scenario folder, you can restore the original by copying the one from the Fast Start folder into the scenario's folder.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
bo

Post by bo »

Great Steve that will stop a lot of grrr's.

Bo

Return to “WIF School”