Weather settings...

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Der Kuenstler

Weather settings...

Post by Der Kuenstler »

New player here - Do you guys play scenarios with non-random weather on or off? I was just asking because the random weather would effect the scenario balance I would think - I just lost "Road to Smolensk" but I had a couple of "mud" turns with non-random weather off.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
SigUp

RE: Weather settings...

Post by SigUp »

Short scenarios with random weather off. Otherwise it would mess up too much with too little time to do corrections.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

That's what I suspected - thanks!
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

ORIGINAL: Der Kuenstler
I was just asking because the random weather would effect the scenario balance I would think.

You mean weather might actually have an effect on military operations? That doesn't sound right...

Personally, I always use random weather. I feel it's more realistic not being able to predict what the weather does.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I like realism too - so there wouldn't typically be any knee deep mud swallowing vehicles during the ten weeks of June to August...(Road to Smolensk)

And in some games I've played (like Hearts of Iron III) the weather does very little to change anything.

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Der Kuenstler

I like realism too - so there wouldn't typically be any knee deep mud swallowing vehicles during the ten weeks of June to August...(Road to Smolensk)

And in some games I've played (like Hearts of Iron III) the weather does very little to change anything.

well historically one reason that AGS failed to manage large scale encirclements in the border battles was indeed due to torrential rain at the end of June reducing the roads to mud baths.

Weather was one of the many things that HOI3 did badly - in many ways the cruder more deterministic weather system in HOI2 was far better - at least it impacted on operations.

In general, I think historic weather is fine for the 10 week scenarios, some bad luck could completely derail the game. For the campaign, I'd agree, it should be played with random weather to simulate uncertainty.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

Yes - random for sure in the big campaigns.

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

I always use Random Weather. The Germans and Soviets had weather problems even during the Summer. I've read numerous accounts where the Germans had their offensive stalled due to Summer thunderstorms and prolonged rainy periods even before typical rainy or "Rasputitsa" weather started. Also even when it wasn't rainy in some sections, the Germans still had their vehicles stuck in the mud/sand due to poor quality of the roads.
SigUp

Post by SigUp »

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

I always use Random Weather. The Germans and Soviets had weather problems even during the Summer. I've read numerous accounts where the Germans had their offensive stalled due to Summer thunderstorms and prolonged rainy periods even before typical rainy or "Rasputitsa" weather started. Also even when it wasn't rainy in some sections, the Germans still had their vehicles stuck in the mud/sand due to poor quality of the roads.
That may be right, but in this regard WITE's mud-model is not really helpful in that it has only one type of muddy terrain and big blocks of weather zones. Especially for shorter scenarios it is a killer if for example the area of AGC is suddenly entirely drenched in mud for a turn.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: SigUp

Short scenarios with random weather off. Otherwise it would mess up too much with too little time to do corrections.

Just learned this painfully on Typhoon. Having a random mud turn in place of your second clear turn completely blows what otherwise was a great offensive.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: Commanderski

I always use random on GCs where it ebbs and flows and impacts the game in different ways over time. In a short scenario (particularly a '41 German offensive short scenario) it can simply mean game over - whereas an extra clear turn doesn't necessarily mean the same for the Soviet.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”