New Screen & request to Hubert for modding

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Magpius

RE: New Screen

Post by Magpius »

Thanks W.
How many and what unit types?
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

Are these files Microsoft Paint *.bmp files?
welk

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: Agent S

Thanks W.
How many and what unit types?

I have no official precisions about but my opinion is that SC3 will come like Assault on Democracy : I downloaded the AoD demo and I use the units of this versions as "starting point" for my work (I think that Hubert will probablymaintainthe samenumber of units than in AoD: I noticed that the new incorporated units in AoC/AoD extensions are very interessant (armored train, single division, light /obsolete armors, etc)
welk

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Are these files Microsoft Paint *.bmp files?

As I know from Hubert, the general graph file system will be like the SC2 serie : independant easy moddable graphs (not a "tiled map" like Commander Erope at war, that is very difficult to mod). But he said also to me t hat the graph organization will be a little different for SC3 => so, perhaps the place and number of kind graphs in the files will not be exactly the same.

I don't know if graph will be bmp or png. Bmp is more esay to mod than png (png needs very oft to work with Gimpt and to work with "masks", but on the other hand, png allows to create graphs with some opacity (like Time of Fury), and that would be very intéressant (for Hex grid, national colors, counters units, etc)
welk

Post by welk »

The 3d units icons of the game will be replaced by these nato non intrusive icons, to have a "historical military map aspect"

The 2d icons will be the same as I showed in precedent posts

Attachments
Matrice.jpg
Matrice.jpg (121.12 KiB) Viewed 416 times
welk

Post by welk »

The final result on the map will probably be something like that

Some choices of level units (Army, corps, div, brigade, rgt) are not definitive : it will depends of the SC3 oob (I based my work on the SC2-Assault on Democracy OOB (Global confict units + new units of the AoD expansion

Some units will have single little nato symbol, some other large single symbol, some others double symbol, depending of the oob of SC3 (will see that when more infos will come)

It's just test work: ground hex for mountains, hills, forest, etc will have more various aspects

Hopethat this army collection will conduct Hubert to give us the same kind of units than AoD, or perhaps more...[:'(] (noticed that glider troops were missing, we have juste Airbornes, and also, "schnellseeboot" are missing too, and also cargos to supply Sub at sea, and also ASW Fight-bombers, and also and also [:D] )

If suggestions forgraphs , they are welcomes. I will probably not include shadow on Nato counters to keep a more clear map

Attachments
Situation.jpg
Situation.jpg (157.96 KiB) Viewed 416 times
welk

Post by welk »

Other possible look for the game :

inspîred from this model :
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Nice effect. Now about those color correlations. How about the background strength(5) matting be red for morale and readiness below 25%. Above 25 to less than 50. yellow or amber or ??? Greater than 50% to <75, blue, or blue-green, yellow green, etc. Above 75% , dark green and what about super morale & readiness > 100?
welk

Post by welk »

Interessant idea, I will see what may be when the game will be released. But on the other hand, it's perhaps dangerous to include to much different colors on screen, it may give a bad "patchwork effect" to the game (russian counters will be red, italians light greens, etc : I will have always lot of colours)
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

Yeah you're probably right about that "patchwork effect", hadn't thought about that. How about different shades or tones consistent with the national colors, slowly darkening or lightening as the values degrade?
welk

Post by welk »

Good idea, but it needs to be allowed by the graph file system. If you consider the organuzation graph files of SC Global conflict (and others in the SC serie), it will not be possible because there is only one national symbol graph for each country and it is not coupled with the status of unit powers.
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

You've got Hubert's ear, he's the coder, convince him in the premise.

IMO the more info we can get on the counters, no matter how subtle, the effect should be increased game play efficiency, less clicking and scrolling.

Now for aesthetics, it would be nice to see some form of unit ID on the counters related to a user "name change". In this manner the owning player could keep his army groups/task forces in some recognized visual organization refenced by a number or letter or both. Actually with the HQ support status, there may be a case for "functionality" as well, removing the "click" on the HQ to see the highlight attachment.
welk

Post by welk »

Well, If I had to have Hubert's any part, it is not the ear that I would choose but the coin purse [:D]
SeaMonkey

Post by SeaMonkey »

I hear that, but to get to that rather guarded object, we may have to proceed through the less intimidating route.[;)]
bbmike

Post by bbmike »

Are you the same Welk that created the Great War scenario for Imperialism 1? [X(]
winky51

Post by winky51 »

Wow these look great. I'd put 1 plane on the CVL counter so it's absolutely clear its a carrier.
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

counters look good add 1 CV plane to the CVL to distinguish from other ships
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
welk

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: bbmike

Are you the same Welk that created the Great War scenario for Imperialism 1? [X(]

Yes but I am not the designer of this imp scenario : I just rectified a mlistake in and updated it (i,itial creator had forgotten to compile and include the needed scen.file)
welk

Post by welk »

ORIGINAL: winky51

Wow these look great. I'd put 1 plane on the CVL counter so it's absolutely clear its a carrier.
ORIGINAL: StratComAl

counters look good add 1 CV plane to the CVL to distinguish from other ships

Will do that, thanks for tip
welk

Post by welk »

New possible look, more clear and more "minimalist" classic wargame

The most I can approach the map model will be for me the best

Attachments
NEWLOOK.jpg
NEWLOOK.jpg (95.58 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”