Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Pandora: First Contact is a science-fiction turn-based strategy game of epic scale. The player leads his chosen human faction over multiple centuries on a newly discovered earth-like planet into an unknown future. Pandora features research, diplomacy, economy, warfare and endless replayability with the exploration of exciting and randomly-generated worlds.

Moderator: MOD_Proxy Studios

lparkh

Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Post by lparkh »

Been playing for about an hour:
Pros:
-- clean graphical style
-- runs fast
-- never having played AC I am enjoying the different faction natures. Encourages me to roleplay which I never do in these kind of civ games normally. I am trying to be an eco guy whereas normally I am world conquering warmonger :-)
-- tool tips are handy
Cons:
-- manual -just describes factions. No civopedia beyond that. Don't understand a game with out more details beyond tool tips. For example I am getting pollution but can't find out how it is generated nor how I know how much I have
--diplomatic behavior -- seems rather erratic. For example, I was asked for tribute, gave it, and next turn was attacked :-(
FroBodine

RE: Obligatory First Impressions Thread

Post by FroBodine »

I think this is the biggest complaint so far, both here and on the Slitherine forum.

I hope the developers listen and give us a proper manual. I want this, but I don't think I will purchase this without proper instruction on how to play.
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

OK I have a bit of a correction:
Ok I just figured out the compendium (civolopedia like button ) can bet tuned to different topics by picking the top 'button' (wasn't too obvious it was a button). So there is more info there (certainly more than in the manual). Still looks skimpy but shall see.
dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

ORIGINAL: lparkh

Been playing for about an hour:
Pros:
-- clean graphical style
-- runs fast
-- never having played AC I am enjoying the different faction natures. Encourages me to roleplay which I never do in these kind of civ games normally. I am trying to be an eco guy whereas normally I am world conquering warmonger :-)
-- tool tips are handy
Cons:
-- manual -just describes factions. No civopedia beyond that. Don't understand a game with out more details beyond tool tips. For example I am getting pollution but can't find out how it is generated nor how I know how much I have
--diplomatic behavior -- seems rather erratic. For example, I was asked for tribute, gave it, and next turn was attacked :-(

I agree with all your observations. It is a pretty game to look at, easy to get going. Once into the game a tutorial or manual would have been a nice addition. I keep looking at the help, but things like pollution are not found.

I hope they create some sort of manual which has been talked about on the Slitherine forums.

Looks good so far though and I would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of this CIV style game.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

+Great Unit workshop.
+City building system and global resources system.
+Good pacing and great combat.
+Operations.Civ should copy it.
+Random tech tree.

-Factions and planet are bland.
-Lore is written by a hippy.
-No events or surprises.
-Diplomacy A.I is erratic.
-No nerve staple,planetery council,espionage or social systems.

Overall a very good game mechanically but lacking a soul.Expansions should focus on that.
Solaristics

Post by Solaristics »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

+Great Unit workshop.
+City building system and global resources system.
+Good pacing and great combat.
+Operations.Civ should copy it.
+Random tech tree.

-Factions and planet are bland.
-No events or surprises.
-Diplomacy A.I is erratic.
-No nerve staple,planetery council,espionage or social systems.

Overall a very good game mechanically but lacking a soul.Expansions should focus on that.

You can never have too much nerve stapling.

Would you say hold off, or do the +'s outweigh the -'s enough to satisfy experienced gamers?
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

[:D]

Haven't got the game yet but that first impression amused me.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Yeah, to me that is a plus! I can't wait to read some hippie literature.
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

ORIGINAL: Wolfe

Yeah, to me that is a plus! I can't wait to read some hippie lite

Unfortunately it seems Peace & Love (AKA Turtleing) isn't the best option http://www.outofeight.info/2013/11/pand ... eview.html

Shame - we need more Hippy Wargamers - Peace, Love and Gratuitous Violence against those that don't like our version on Peace and Love [:)]
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
lparkh

Post by lparkh »

OK just made it through a good part of a game (4-5 hours). Latest pros and cons:
Pros:
-- challenge -- this is always important. Is the game challenging. yes! I got my butt kicked economically even playing as the tree huggers (eco faction). Somehow the AI is getting mega cities population wise and I am not. Obviously have a lot to learn about how to optomize (A MANUAL OR BETTER CIVOPEDIA WOULD HELP!). Though I built the good economic stuff :-(
-- diplomacy -- on the upside I was able to figure out how to keep other factions fairly friendly.
Cons:
-- diplomacy -- gets very tiresome being 'praised' after awhile. Also why do they keep giving me gifts ? I have this bad feeling it has to do with victory by "buying out other factions" but I can't find details on the victory conditions so have no idea if I am screwing myself or not by accepting these gifts. Cool idea though if gifts turn out to be dangerous :-)
-- cities -- not sure about this one but am I going to have to spam cities to win or can I play for "deep"cities? There is no indication there is anything bad about having more cities. Personally I don't want a zilion to manage so hope there are "deep" solutions.

Overall I was pleased to be losing and please to be being beaten
Velihopea

Post by Velihopea »

After 3 hours or so:
++ Specialization of cities! Global resources is a damn good idea!
+ Graphics are quite nice
+ Gameplay is very smooth
+ UI is intuitive
+ Natives represent a nice opponent at the beginning of the game
+ AI kicked my butt in the first try

- not yet anything apparent, a bit war focused game

Overall score at this point : 8,5

p.s. Why is this not in metacritic??
SephiRok

Post by SephiRok »

Glad you're enjoying it guys!
Rok Breulj
Designer and Programmer on Pandora: First Contact
Proxy Studios

[Twitter]
budd

Post by budd »

don't know if it's been brought up yet, but does the AI cheat?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
azpops

Post by azpops »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

don't know if it's been brought up yet, but does the AI cheat?

We asked that many times during the beta. The answer always was no, but it sure seemed like it to me.

The game is a great deal better than the original 1st beta version. The developers listened to what we had to say and used it to change the game. Yes there are still some quirks, but they intend to issue expansions for many of the issues being brought up so far.

Give it a little time.

Return to “Pandora Series”