The Hidden Gem

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Talon_XBMCX

The Hidden Gem

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

I've always wanted to try this game, but after watching the you tube videos, it just never really grabbed me. I'm not a big demo person because I don't feel they give you the real depth of the game. They are usually enough to see if you like the mechanics, graphics, etc ... but unless they are full featured, I personally haven't had much luck with them. With this title being the Deal of the Week I decided to give it a go. Been looking for something different. So ... how soon does the new expansion come out ... I am ready to purchase now ... and yes I got Ghost Divisions too (felt guilty at getting the title at 50% off and used that to ease my conscience [:D]). I'm still getting my feet wet, but I can see this being one title I return to over and over again.

I usually don't like the idea of playing cards in a war game (just seems wrong to me) but it fits here. They have become part of my overall strategy and don't unbalance the scenarios. Played correctly, I can see where they could make or break a scenario ... almost like committing that reserve unit just at the right time.

The interface is not as intuitive as it could be. Having not played the board game, I think its just part of the normal learning curve. With a couple of play throughs of the tutorial scenarios, I was able to catch on without too much trouble.

The 3d graphics are nice though I find it difficult to see enemy units sometimes. The chit option does make that easier and with the option to flip back and forth with relative ease between the options, it quickly became a non-issue for me.

The scenario movies at the end are REALLY a nice feature. That was really a pleasant surprise. I really liked being able to watch the maneuvers and quickly found myself evaluating all the mistakes I made, how I should have done it, what I need to improve on ... that was really nice.

If you are on the fence about this title, I would have to recommend it. I hope the developers continue on with additional modules. I'd really like to see some Western Front, Pacific, or North African add-ons in the future. Rest assured, I will be purchasing them all on release day.
laska2k8

RE: The Hidden Gem

Post by laska2k8 »

ORIGINAL: Panman
... I'd really like to see some Western Front, Pacific, or North African add-ons in the future. Rest assured, I will be purchasing them all on release day.

+1
[:D]
"Sa vida pro sa Patria"
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

+2
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

In the same boat with ya. I even went out and grabbed the board game version. Hope they keep up the great work.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: comsolut

+2

+3 all the way.
KEYSTONE07950

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

+4

I enjoy the pc game very much.

I also enjoy the board game. To those who say that COH is a "lite" wargame, I answer that COH is less "detailed" than some other squad games - the "details" are built into the game components. I find the command & control aspects of COH to be superior to the more "detailed" systems. Just sayin', not a knock on ASL, ATS, & LnL (I like them all).[:)]

I support the right to arm bears!
Duck Doc

Post by Duck Doc »

+5
Charly G

Post by Charly G »

+6

I enjoy this game, but bugs need to be fixed asap.
dox44

Post by dox44 »

+7
wodin

Post by wodin »

Really wish I felt the same way. Maybe one day it will click for me.
KEYSTONE07950

Post by KEYSTONE07950 »

I believe that my enjoyment of the board game has contributed to my enjoyment of the pc version. I probably would not enjoy the pc version as much if I didn't already think that COH is the best platoon level (maneuver units being squads)board game out there.
I support the right to arm bears!

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”