AGEOD Civil War question

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

jcjordan

AGEOD Civil War question

Post by jcjordan »

This is a question on the original but may apply as well to CWII, I've not purchased this version yet as I've just started playing around w/ the old version even though I got it some months ago but it's forum isn't active.

Can you or how do you attach the divisions that appear in Alex VA in early/mid61 to the NE VA or do you get the army command benefit (even though the McDowell isn't the best) from them being in the same hex in a battle even though they're not attached? I don't see the "button" active to attach them even though the leaders may be active that turn. Is there some kind of costs involved that I'm missing? My only beef on the game is how much info is lacking in the manual but it's a good thing these forums are available [&o]
cmdrsam

RE: AGEOD Civil War question

Post by cmdrsam »

Cant form division until October 61. No Corp until March? 62 I think.
Toro12

Post by Toro12 »

Divisions can't be attached to an Army, only Corps. So, they're independent forces, for all practical purposes.
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

I was thinking that might've been the problem. Then that begs the question of why are they there in the first place??? Historically they were "attached/commanded" by McDowell (I assume the designers know about 1st Bull Run) but in the game they don't get any benefit from his command status & can't be attached to him at least until divisions/corp come fully into play yet the Confed AI doesn't seem fazed by this. It seems to form 2 large armies (NVA & Shenandoah) from the outset that I get no chance against due to command limitations that it's not under. I'm still learning the game but have a wait & see about CW2
loki100

Post by loki100 »

The AI gets a key bonus, in that it never pays the full command penalty malus. This is important as -35% has the additional impact of taking off 1 from the rate of fire - so not only do you fire less well, you fire less often.

An early war stack is a bit like the rules for games like Wars in America. Each unit/commander is separate, but you can gain additional CPs by including more than one officer in the same stack. I forget the exact rules, but it is so many 1 star generals and so on.

You can experiment by adding commanders to a stack till you see that the CP no longer improves.

Return to “Civil War II”