managing resource transport

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

dale1066

managing resource transport

Post by dale1066 »

I'm having trouble managing the Resource transport UI. Simple problem of getting the Oz resouces to canada & all the cdn to the UK (seems more efficient plus can use French cps in pacific so they have good chance of being FF or at least out of Vichy way )

But how ever I seem to set the default and override settings for the aussie and cdn resources the computed set always seems to use toronto and montreal for the cdn resources. The old CWIf from 2002 had the same problem but the workaround was that you could force
the route to avoid certain places (so by blocking off all the cdn res's access to said factories they would go to the uk.) Is that functionality still there if so where?

We're here for a good time not a long time!
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: managing resource transport

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: dale1066

I'm having trouble managing the Resource transport UI. Simple problem of getting the Oz resouces to canada & all the cdn to the UK (seems more efficient plus can use French cps in pacific so they have good chance of being FF or at least out of Vichy way )

But how ever I seem to set the default and override settings for the aussie and cdn resources the computed set always seems to use toronto and montreal for the cdn resources. The old CWIf from 2002 had the same problem but the workaround was that you could force
the route to avoid certain places (so by blocking off all the cdn res's access to said factories they would go to the uk.) Is that functionality still there if so where?

This was reported by someone else and he sent me a saved game to recreate the situation.

[The CWIF Avoid Sea Areas mechanism is not part of MWIF.]

---

What are the convoys in the Atlantic doing? If you click (left? right?) those sea areas in the Production Planning form's insert Global Map, it will filter the list the resources to those going through the sea area. Perhaps the convoys are being used by other resources so the Canadian Resources get sent to in-country factories. Which then gives the Australian resources no viable destination in Canada. Just a guess. I haven't looked at the saved game.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

Well there appears to be unused convoys available, I'll keep digging at it as I'm sure there are higher priority issues
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

Still playing with the resource prod for the allies in my first cw naval for a global war scenario, and the prod manager seems to have got well confused claiming that the aus resource can get to warsaw. see attached pics.

I have a save if required but suspect a recompute and/or save/resore will fix

Attachments
auswarsaw.jpg
auswarsaw.jpg (211.5 KiB) Viewed 459 times
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

herws situation in poland

Attachments
poland.jpg
poland.jpg (153.53 KiB) Viewed 459 times
dale1066

Post by dale1066 »

and the route plan

Attachments
route.jpg
route.jpg (196.71 KiB) Viewed 459 times
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

When the game first starts Warzaw is a legitimate destination for the prod planning. By the end of the turn this should change and this destination disappear.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: dale1066

and the route plan

Yeah, that's not good.

My guess (as Lars mentioned) is that Warsaw was viable at one point. Then the route to Toronto was developed - probably as a Default or Override. Then the Toronto route failed - perhaps because the factory was used by another resource. So the program went back to showing the Warsaw destination.

But still, that's not good.
Steve

alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I've had similar trouble getting the Australian resources to Canada. I gave up and sent them through Panama. Which takes more CPs of course.

Then I've run into trouble with the routing all over the place.

Is there a way to shut off the computer routing of resources and we could set the routes manually? I'm having no end of trouble keeping the French and British factories at full production. 3 turns into the game and still haven't had a single turn where all the resources went where they were intended to go.
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: alex_van_d

I've had similar trouble getting the Australian resources to Canada. I gave up and sent them through Panama. Which takes more CPs of course.

Then I've run into trouble with the routing all over the place.

Is there a way to shut off the computer routing of resources and we could set the routes manually? I'm having no end of trouble keeping the French and British factories at full production. 3 turns into the game and still haven't had a single turn where all the resources went where they were intended to go.
Check for unused convoys. If there are insufficient convoys in a sea area, then the program can't execute your settings.

You can check what resources are going through a sea area by clicking (left? right?) on the sea area in the Production Planning form's global map while using the Route Layout. You might find unexpected resources are using the convoys you want used for other resources.

For instance, the South American oil often gets sent to Great Britain. You can send it to Canada to be saved there, which uses fewer convoys. Sometimes you will want to set the Default for a resource to Idle, just so the program doesn't decide to ship it overseas and use up convoys you need for other purposes.
Steve

Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

I've been having trouble getting any Minor Country TR oil resource to be saved (particularly Venezuela to Canada). Likewise, I'm still fighting with the program when it comes to assigning Defaults for production location. I've been working a Global War setup, and I suspect there might be an issue with having Idle factories here . . . If you do have 3 CP in the Carribbean, but no way to get the Oil from Venezuela to an idle factory, for example, perhaps it's trying to save those CPs for that move instead of letting you save the Oil in Canada?

If it's necessary, I can try to do a full analysis of what I'm trying to do (using a fresh game), with step-by-step info on what I'm attempting. It does feel to me as if the routing is still a little buggy. Let me know if you need this work-up, Steve, and I'll put a few hours into that tomorrow instead of working on the Restore issues.

-Aaron
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

I've been having trouble getting any Minor Country TR oil resource to be saved (particularly Venezuela to Canada). Likewise, I'm still fighting with the program when it comes to assigning Defaults for production location. I've been working a Global War setup, and I suspect there might be an issue with having Idle factories here . . . If you do have 3 CP in the Carribbean, but no way to get the Oil from Venezuela to an idle factory, for example, perhaps it's trying to save those CPs for that move instead of letting you save the Oil in Canada?

If it's necessary, I can try to do a full analysis of what I'm trying to do (using a fresh game), with step-by-step info on what I'm attempting. It does feel to me as if the routing is still a little buggy. Let me know if you need this work-up, Steve, and I'll put a few hours into that tomorrow instead of working on the Restore issues.

-Aaron
Check what the convoys in the Caribbean are doing. Are there idle convoys there? Or are they being used by the US?

Resources received in trade agreements can't be sent to another major power. So if you are trying to send the US received oil (in trade agreements) to Canada, the rules don't permit that.
Steve

Red Prince

Post by Red Prince »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

-Aaron
Check what the convoys in the Caribbean are doing. Are there idle convoys there? Or are they being used by the US?

Resources received in trade agreements can't be sent to another major power. So if you are trying to send the US received oil (in trade agreements) to Canada, the rules don't permit that.
No, these are the 3 from Venezuela that I'm trying to save in Toronto, Montreal, etc . . . after the UK has DOWed Poland. USA is still neutral, but should be able to use their rails to get that oil from Florida to Canada (unless the rules have changed). This used to work in beta. The CPS are idle.

Same thing has been happening with the oil from Iraq and Persia. France isn't even able to save its oil in Syria, for example, even though there are no CPs needed to get it there. None of the rules are at issue in this, as far as I can tell, and it's not limited to a single power. I'll run a test of it in the morning.
Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH
robertl123456

Post by robertl123456 »

On a similar topic. It is not possible to reroute all the Canadian RPs to England. The pics are from CW set-up and as
you can see its a chain of 6 Convoys from Canada to England (only convoys deployed). Yet I can not make the Canadian
factories not produce directly (by making them Idle) or indirectly by shipping all resources to factories in England.
The reason is of course that I want to use the Aussie RP in Canada.

Attachments
CWconvoys.jpg
CWconvoys.jpg (285.6 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Jaimainsoyyo

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

Hi . It´s possible to send all canadian resources to UK and at the same time australian resources to Canada. Take a look on this.

Attachments
resourcesCW.jpg
resourcesCW.jpg (384.06 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Jaimainsoyyo

Post by Jaimainsoyyo »

However , It seems that something is wrong when the program managed the resources and convoys [:@] .If you compare default convoy rutes and computed convoy rutes there is one discrepance in the list, British Guyana use default rute which last sea zone is Feroes , exhausting all convoys in that zone , however computed rute takes another rute to UK factory by Bay of Biscay where I haven´t enough convoys to deliver this resource to UK. Even more, if you take a look at unused convoys [X(]one misterious convoy in Feroes misteriously is unused amd that is impossible because I have exhausted all my convoys in both sea areas ( Biscay and Feroes) [:-].

Attachments
discrepanc..ted_rute.jpg
discrepanc..ted_rute.jpg (376.27 KiB) Viewed 459 times
ParJ

Post by ParJ »

I've seen a lot of complaints about the resource routing at the foum. My experience is that there's at least a difference between what I've seen in the tutorials and videos (which are excellent!) and what I experience when trying to perform the same actions in the game. Setting default routes usually end up in nothing at all happening. I might be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Would setting each resource to idle completely bypass computer routing? So in essence one would have complete control and be able to assign very resource to a specific location. If not, would it be possible to add a toggle to turn computer routing off? I think that would help some players while the issues are sorted out. The working example in this thread only has defult routes (right?), no computed.

I read somewhere that the beta testers demanded that acquired oil would not be used automatically for production. This is not mentioned in the manuals, so could this have been a recent change that might have messed up a fully functioning routing prior to the game release? Just a thought.

I haven't played the game much, still waiting for on-line play for at least two players per side before it's worth any effort. But learning the user interfaces will take a while and eventually I'm sure this game will be well worth the close to 250 USD spent on the game, maps, shipping and customs fees.

With the number and types of bugs reported so far one wonders if the beta testers just played the game and reported bugs or if they were actually testing the game, actively trying to find bugs. The supply issue in China, needing to restore saved games, how could a tester miss that? But I'm sure anyone that has bought this game are happy to be involved in extented testing to impove the to be finished product. And I hope the finished product will include PBEM (for people planning to reach the age of 100 years) and AI opponent, and not offering this as an expansion.

Thanks Steve for a good game with an even more promising future!
Oto
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: oto02

I've seen a lot of complaints about the resource routing at the foum. My experience is that there's at least a difference between what I've seen in the tutorials and videos (which are excellent!) and what I experience when trying to perform the same actions in the game. Setting default routes usually end up in nothing at all happening. I might be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what that might be.

Would setting each resource to idle completely bypass computer routing? So in essence one would have complete control and be able to assign very resource to a specific location. If not, would it be possible to add a toggle to turn computer routing off? I think that would help some players while the issues are sorted out. The working example in this thread only has defult routes (right?), no computed.

I read somewhere that the beta testers demanded that acquired oil would not be used automatically for production. This is not mentioned in the manuals, so could this have been a recent change that might have messed up a fully functioning routing prior to the game release? Just a thought.

I haven't played the game much, still waiting for on-line play for at least two players per side before it's worth any effort. But learning the user interfaces will take a while and eventually I'm sure this game will be well worth the close to 250 USD spent on the game, maps, shipping and customs fees.

With the number and types of bugs reported so far one wonders if the beta testers just played the game and reported bugs or if they were actually testing the game, actively trying to find bugs. The supply issue in China, needing to restore saved games, how could a tester miss that? But I'm sure anyone that has bought this game are happy to be involved in extented testing to impove the to be finished product. And I hope the finished product will include PBEM (for people planning to reach the age of 100 years) and AI opponent, and not offering this as an expansion.

Thanks Steve for a good game with an even more promising future!

It would be nice not to make those comments about beta testing. As a beta tester, I can't react on these kind of accusations from you, because I did sign an NDA. You shouldn't attack us, but attack Matrix, if you're not happy with how things are. [:-]
Now, if you wrote "I can't imagine beta tester not finding these bugs", than it would be different, wouldn't it...

Peter
Shannon V. OKeets

The bugs with resource routing should have been cleared up with version 1.0.7.0. Except for the Japanese BP to the US, where I mistakenly reversed two lines of code.
Steve

Return to “Tech Support”