Always ctd after setup

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Krupinski

Always ctd after setup

Post by Krupinski »

I tried it several times, but i always get this error. I bought the game at release and had no probs. But i canceled playing it after the latest patch. what a pity!

Win7, latest drivers..

Rosseau

RE: Always ctd after setup

Post by Rosseau »

Go to the bottom of this thread for a hotfix:

tm.asp?m=3275689

Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

I applied the fix at the day it was released. It has nothing to do with that. But thanx.

It's a shame that i cant get it running!
happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

Can you switch your PC to english and post the error message? I think it is similar to the same problem I am having. I cannot get Matrix to issue a refund. It has been a week and we have tried everything to get it working. Does your explorer.exe crash as well?
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

@hafer,

What scenario are you playing when you get this message?
happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

I had a similar message on scenario 3 (general something) when playing as the Russians. The scenario will not load. As the germans, the scenarios works perfectly?
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Hmmm ... just tried it and had no issues with either side. Did you install the hotfix? What system options do you have selected for your video settings?

I'm running Windows 7 and since installing the hotfix everything seems to be running just fine.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

ORIGINAL: Panman

@hafer,

What scenario are you playing when you get this message?

"Nutcracker" was the last one where it happened..
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

ORIGINAL: happyloaf

Can you switch your PC to english and post the error message? I think it is similar to the same problem I am having. I cannot get Matrix to issue a refund. It has been a week and we have tried everything to get it working. Does your explorer.exe crash as well?

Well, most of the message is in english. Only in the first line it said "there is not enough memory to continue program."
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Hmmm ... just tried both sides and no issues starting the scenario. What system options do you have selected for your video settings?
happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

I was at 1080p w/ the board game map. Highest settings. My video card is an HD7970 on an I3-2120 w/ 8 gig ram. So hopefully it isn't a video card problem. I found the game to buggy to be playable since I could hardly load it/run it/go 1 turn w/o it crashing.
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Have you checked your video drivers and have you applied the hot fix? I'm running with virtually the same specs and settings and after applying the hotfix haven't had an issue with the crashing.

Where do you have the game installed? Have you tried running it with administrator privileges?
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

1920x1200, GTX580, newest drivers. 16gb RAM, 2600k - everything up2date

I never had probs with conflict of heroes, only since the latest update...
Talon_XBMCX

Post by Talon_XBMCX »

Odd ... we all have similar specs and I'm able to run it fine. I hate issues like these ... so hard to track down.

Only other thing I can think of is to take all video settings back to basic and keep adding detail settings until you hit the breaking point ... and that only applies if you are running out of the video memory. Unless the installs/patches corrupted in some way.

Maybe try an XNA repair?

happyloaf

Post by happyloaf »

For me it is even a loading the game thing. I have tried repairing XNA and that sometimes gets the game to run when I install it but not always. Sometimes when I install it will load and some scenarios crash other times it won't load at all.

I have the latest beta AMD video drivers as well. I applied the hotfix and still have the issue.

I did notice that the Ghost Panzer expansion when I click on it takes 1-2 min to respond. Even if I redownload it it still takes the install 1-2 min to load it also makes hexgame.exe not respond when right clicking (like trying to get it to run in admin mode).
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

That looks like an out-of-memory error and probably one that pertains to allocating on your video card. I would recommend trying to run the program with lower settings -- such as with low-resolution models, or by turning down some of the settings in the Preferences menu. Make sure there are no other applications running when you start the game, especially anything that could be allocating video memory. If you have dual monitors, trying turning this off before you play. Finally, try running the game at a lower resolution by lowering your desktop resolution.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

That looks like an out-of-memory error and probably one that pertains to allocating on your video card. I would recommend trying to run the program with lower settings -- such as with low-resolution models, or by turning down some of the settings in the Preferences menu. Make sure there are no other applications running when you start the game, especially anything that could be allocating video memory. If you have dual monitors, trying turning this off before you play. Finally, try running the game at a lower resolution by lowering your desktop resolution.

Thanx Eric, but i'm running a GTX580 with 3 gigs - its not a hardware problem. And before the last patch it works with highest settings in every scenario.. strange?!
Gerry Edwards

Post by Gerry Edwards »

Hi Hafer,

It could still be a kinda of hardware problem. You may be experiencing a video memory leak. It is not uncommon and can go unnoticed for a very long time. I would recommend turning your video setting down and seeing if it still crashes at the same point. If it does the chances of a memory leak are significantly lower. I understand your belief that it isn't the hardware as i have been in your situation with a Geforce GTX 770 2gb card. Let us know how that goes so we can further assist you.

Cheers,
Gerry
Those who came before pave the path of tomorrow.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

The only thing that really changed from the original release to the patched version / SOS version is that we added new map features and more units which may might cause the game to make more use of video memory. Your GTX580 should be enough to run the game even with these changes, but if you've got some other application running that allocates video memory, or if you're running in dual-monitor mode, then there might be some problem with video memory.
Krupinski

Post by Krupinski »

I did a reinstall and got the same crash.

I completely lowered the graphic settings (which is a joke - gtx580) and got the same crash.

It only happend with only a few scenarios....

Return to “Tech Support”