What did you do today in World in Flames?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Ingtar

RE: What did you do today in World in Flames?

Post by Ingtar »

ORIGINAL: Mundy

I'll be waiting for my books to arrive before diving too deep.  WiF is definitely not something you casually plunge into.  I've never played the board game, though I had been interested in it for some time.

I'm a long time WITP-AE player, being with the system back to the Uncommon Valor days.  While huge, the basic concepts arent a whole lot different that UV.

This is something else entirely, so I'm treading softly.

Ed-

One does not simply plunge into WIF? I'm considering restarting the Global War I started this weekend to overcome lapses in memory from the long time since I had a place I could set up the game.

comsolut

RE: Finished Barbarossa

Post by comsolut »

ORIGINAL: Omnius

I played Barbarossa from Sunday through Tuesday morning with a convincing German win. Had some good weather die rolls so had a mild winter. Definitely made a lot of mistakes but that's what these early learning games are for.

Omnius

On turn 4 Barbarossa, learning the rules, figuring out the DRM for 1d10 has been slow.

Not going to be a German victory, as I am just starting to see the tactics necessary against the dispersed Russian setup.

Once the Russians form a solid line with 7 to 9 strength points per hex, the German advance slows, combined with poor weather rolls and a German victory is near impossible.

Finding the right mix of getting air forward or land impulses also takes some good judgment.

The game has a lot to offer, and tremendous variability makes for almost endless replay.
WIF_Killzone

Post by WIF_Killzone »

OH crap, Russian reinforcements, bad weather, out of supply, retreat! Run for your lives. Actually they have one HQ left, they will be mine!
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

Finding the right mix of getting air forward or land impulses also takes some good judgment.

Thats the ballet I'm learning for land stuff, keeping your air assests, HQ's etc. at the right spots so as to maximize your gain and keep your punching power high before you have to reorg. Great game!
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: jomni

Tonight I was ready to pull the trigger (buying the game). Then chickened out.
warspite1

What, are you a girl? Man up soldier and purchase that mother - that's an order [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

What, are you a girl? Man up soldier and purchase that mother - that's an order [;)]

Tsss. Far to soft Mr. Warspite:

Buy now! Or prepare to be shot for total cowardice in the face of the enemy!
Peter
ess1

Post by ess1 »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

warspite1

Managed to overcome my itchy finger by purchasing some charity Christmas cards. Post free.[:)]
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

Playing Global War, seeing if I can break anything, lol.

I am happy to say that I already messed up the U.S.-Japan trade agreement and the game didn't break - it just punishes the U.S. player by taking away points he needs for U.S. entry options.

Can't wait to watch Vichy come into play in this final version. That was very often a game crasher with CWiF.

One thing I did notice though is how the program crunches hard during the production/resource planning phases. You can truly see how much time Steve spent working on this very complicated part of the game.

Good job there!

However, Italy is sooooooooo poor, somebody please give her build points, please ...
goulash

Post by goulash »

Well what I did in WIF today = watch 2 more vids after work, now shattered and going to sleep. Will wake in about 5hrs and watch 2 more vids. Whilst people are snuggling up at xmas with CHARITY Xmas cards, I will be sitting at home and snugged into the Manuals [:D][:D][:D]
Peeking Duck?

Post by Peeking Duck? »

Haha, well...

Replaying Barbarossa with some added optional rules and I've managed to:

1. Stall AGN with roll of 1 at Pskov. Pretty much stuck until end of turn.
2. Haven't made much progress at end of turn as the Russian defence line is Pskov, Minsk, and just outside Kiev. Weather turned horrible and I've got a few OOS units.
3. Turn ended after 4 impules? Russians rejoice!
4. Lost initiative to Allies on 2nd turn, even with a re-roll!

All in all, I think it's going well :o
tdpyle

Post by tdpyle »

Went out yesterday and upgraded my computer to increase my processor speed. 1.3 ghz just couldn't keep up. Now I'm running at 2.9 ghz. Much better.
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: captskillet

playing Barbarossa and just trying to get the land/air part down pat before I move on to Guad.

PS..any of you WIF oldtimers out there won Barbarossa with the Whermacht?

If anyone needs help with Guadalcanal please let me know I did an AAR on Guadalcanal called battle of the Coral sea it is on page 8 but the way posts are going it might be on page 9 by now..
bo
jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: Deerslayer

:-) I was too and bit the bullet last night. Watched a few Vid Tut's so far and me thinks many weeks before plunging in to an actual game.

What the hell!!! I bought it.
ANTONIOr

Post by ANTONIOr »

well ,watching and re-watching some tutorials ,and reading here and there the manual to re catch the feeling ,then had a look at few setups ,still not started a game ,maybe trying barbarossa in few days
even if I can t wait to start now, I prefer to have a little warm up to refresh some things by the manual and maybe an other look at few tutorials ,you may well say that I m tasting the thing a lot [:D]
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

ORIGINAL: lecrop

Reading RaC a lot, at work, at home, at bed (sex self-banned until become a wif master )

Hmmm. Looks to me like you are multitasking there[:-]
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

1/2 way done with the videos. No hurry, big ass game.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Extraneous

Post by Extraneous »

[X(] After over 10 years (ADG beta, Matrix beta, uniit write ups, and forum posts) I took a break. [X(]

[:D] After reading and responding to the forums. [:D]

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)
berthier

Post by berthier »

Watching video tutorials, simply awesome. I've owned the board game for ten years, never got through the rules, looked longingly at all those counters and gave up a dozen times. The tutorials although long are really firing me up to plunge in.

One thing though, does every narrator who did a tutorial live in a war zone? There are sirens continually going in the background as emergency vehicles race along the city streets...I thought they might have used a sound room, apparently they used their lounge room, windows open, New Years night [;)]
terje439

Post by terje439 »

Today I learnt that flying Str.bombing for the Brits is a lot more dangerous if they Axis has not already expended a lot of his fighters.
Two out of four STR lost for the Brits [X(]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

I started over on the Global War, putting into practice some of what I discovered/rediscovered. My little strategy charts gave me some odd dice rolls this time. (I try to set up strategies for the other side, assign them probabilities, and roll at times when it is too late for the "favored" side to react unfairly.)

Return to “World in Flames”