Fleet task force

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

yvesp

Fleet task force

Post by yvesp »

I've yet to figure out how to put ships together to form a task force.

Can anyone enlitghten me ?

Yves
AxelNL

RE: Fleet task force

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: yvesp

Yves

Just read the explanation in another thread: it wasn't implemented, but remnants of the concept float around.
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Yves

Just read the explanation in another thread: it wasn't implemented, but remnants of the concept float around.

Read the ten pages of this forum, entered some threads that looked relevant but were not.
Can you be more specific please ?

Thanks!
Yves
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Yves

Read the ten pages of this forum, entered some threads that looked relevant but were not.
Can you be more specific please ?

Thanks!
Yves
The Help messages for the Naval Review Details & Summary forms have a couple paragraphs of text that were written when I hoped to create Task Force Details & Summary forms. Those never got done. I've revised the help message for the next version/update.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

OK, so no Task Force.

But can anyone help me on that one ?

Osaka, stack of 59 counters. I have to move some ships together.
How do I select them ? BTW, the Hex dispaly panel is quite elusive and doesn't stay in place if I move my mouse. Also it is too small to display all these units.

Yves
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

OK, so no Task Force.

How do I select them ? BTW, the Hex dispaly panel is quite elusive and doesn't stay in place if I move my mouse. Also it is too small to display all these units.

Yves
warspite1

The Naval tutorial is excellent in this respect - have a look at this. However the way I do this is to put the cursor over the stack and left-click. You can then simply select/unselect the units you want to move/not move. Do not forget to unselect the subs as they cannot move together with the surface ships.

The flyouts can be locked - one uses the space bar and one you have to right click on the hex (and ignore the pop up that comes up). Sorry I forget which displays are for which.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

OK, so no Task Force.

Yves

Personally I would use the NRD form for this case. You'll better see the units in port arranged by type. From the NRD you can select the units to make a 'stack'.

See 8.7.1.10. NAVAL REVIEW DETAILS page 198 in Player Manual 1. While you are there you might want to familiarize yourself with 8.7.1.11. NAVAL REVIEW SUMMARY on page 200. These forms used in conjunction are very helpful.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

The flyouts can be locked - one uses the space bar and one you have to right click on the hex (and ignore the pop up that comes up). Sorry I forget which displays are for which.

The space bar locks the Units In Hex form. Keep in mind yvesp, as I see you are using the Unit In Hex form, that it and the NRD form are mutually exclusive.
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
yvesp

Post by yvesp »

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

OK, so no Task Force.

Yves

Personally I would use the NRD form for this case. You'll better see the units in port arranged by type. From the NRD you can select the units to make a 'stack'.

See 8.7.1.10. NAVAL REVIEW DETAILS page 198 in Player Manual 1. While you are there you might want to familiarize yourself with 8.7.1.11. NAVAL REVIEW SUMMARY on page 200. These forms used in conjunction are very helpful.

Thanks! I think your advise will come very helpful.
I'll try this this evening.

As a note, the most daunting task up to now is taming the interface!

Yves
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

OK, so no Task Force.

Yves

Thanks! I think your advise will come very helpful.
I'll try this this evening.

As a note, the most daunting task up to now is taming the interface!

Yves

You're welcome. You'll get it and don't be hesitant to ask.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

I have gone mad about this, up to the point of leaving the game aside, exasperated.

Unfortunately, in my case I can not see the tutorial videos by now, and the manuals are too extensive and I cannot find the required info. Searching for "task force", "fleet" or "movement" give back too many results.

So, thanks a lot for mentioning the chapters, I will go through them when I reach home... [:)]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

But like Warspite says, the flyout form works well also and is quicker for less populated ports and stacks.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

I have gone mad about this, up to the point of leaving the game aside, exasperated.

Unfortunately, in my case I can not see the tutorial videos by now, and the manuals are too extensive and I cannot find the required info. Searching for "task force", "fleet" or "movement" give back too many results.

So, thanks a lot for mentioning the chapters, I will go through them when I reach home... [:)]

Are you using the advanced search Jose? It's very quick to navigate plus it gives you a brief synopsis.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

But like Warspite says, the flyout form works well also and is quicker for less populated ports and stacks.

Till now I couldn't use it. I selected the flyout, pressed the space bar but I simply couldn't select the units at all, we'll see with this help... [;)]

Are you using the advanced search Jose? It's very quick to navigate plus it gives you a brief synopsis.

To be true, no. Usually Advanced Searches (google, forums, ...) , don't give me much help, so I don't have faith on them, but i'll try.
mjjcpa

Post by mjjcpa »

Ctrl+left click selects entire stack.

I had to watch the vids to find it.

Let the battles for the Med begin!
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Wow, that was how. I think I made a lot of combinations which did not include that simple one. And then you can unselect whatever you dont want to move, like convoys, slow units or subs...[&o]
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

OK, so no Task Force.

Yves
warspite1

The Naval tutorial is excellent in this respect - have a look at this. However the way I do this is to put the cursor over the stack and left-click. You can then simply select/unselect the units you want to move/not move. Do not forget to unselect the subs as they cannot move together with the surface ships.

Ah, not quite.

It is Ctrl-left-click on a hex to bring up the Select Units form.

The Flyout cannot be locked. What Rob is referring to is the Naval Review Details form in the bold above.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Wow, that was how. I think I made a lot of combinations which did not include that simple one. And then you can unselect whatever you dont want to move, like convoys, slow units or subs...[&o]

What was it that worked for you Jose?
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Well, the first thing I tried. I liked most the idea of control+left click. I have came to the conclussion that I had tried it unsuccessfully. The reason was because it doesn't seem to work out of the naval impulse, and it seems i tried (probably by mistake) in other phases, so I thought it didn't work.
captskillet

Post by captskillet »

MoReb how does one bring up the NRD, I did it once, had a semi senior moment and forgot and cant seem to find it in the rule book.
"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Return to “World in Flames”