Want to purchase but almost 40% more for shipping? SOLVED

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Maesphil74

RE: Want to purchase but almost 40% more for shipping?

Post by Maesphil74 »

ORIGINAL: jeffk3510

ORIGINAL: Fleming

Axel: For the umtpieth time:

the problem is NOT the price of game.
I'm willin to pay the game/manuals/second monitors/ADG coffeemugs that you need etc.
If the game was priced 90 euro: no problemo

The option several people want is this:
pay for the game/manuals and then tick a box 'please throw the manuals in the bin, I don't want to pay shipping/taxes on them'

So, 78 euro for the game + manuals; good for me.
BUT DON'T SHIP THE MANUALS
I would have paid for the manuals by the time I confirmed the order, so I can choose NOT to have them shipped as I have no use for them and I don't want to pay 50-60 euros extra for them to have something I don't need. Keep them in the states in a vault with my name on it for all I care.

Why is this so hard to understand?? [;)]

No the game is not too expensive.
Its about the absurdness of having to pay shipping/taxes for something I don't want.

That is like saying, I want to buy just the car, but please don't include the tires, they're too expensive and I don't want them.

They're offering the product, at this time, with the manuals and the shipping to get it to you.

If you don't want it that way at this time, don't buy it.

And guess what; I f I would like to buy a car for 10000 euro and tell the sales person:
Look I'll pay you the 10000 euro but I don't need the tires, just don't want them.

What would he say?
'Hell no, the whole car or nothing'
I Don't think so: he would put the tires back in his warehouse and start counting his money [;)]

Again, I want to pay for the manuals; no problem
Just don't send them to me.
I will pay the 78 euro for the game + manuals. And then I would like to ask them to throw them away.
What's the problem with that?

Pay yes
send no

It's a win win for everyone but nobody seems to get it [X(]
Phil
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

I just re edited my post about DD.. after you posted though.

I would bet they allow just a DD at some point.. right now people will pay for the whole shebang..
Life is tough. The sooner you realize that, the easier it will be.

Dez caught it
Maesphil74

Post by Maesphil74 »

I would bet they allow just a DD at some point.. right now people will pay for the whole shebang..
I hope so too...
Well, for the moment it is what it is.

I'd sure would like to live next to your cows though. Would help me decide getting this game a bit faster [:D]
Phil
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: Fleming

I hope so too...
Well, for the moment it is what it is.

I'd sure would like to live next to your cows though. Would help me decide getting this game a bit faster [:D]

I guess I don't follow what the cows have to do with it...haha

Dez caught it
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

Nm... I think I do now.

The whole $12 for shipping with no other fees..

Sorry, man. It is what it is I guess.

Things cost more or less different places. Same with shipping.

Dez caught it
MatJack

Post by MatJack »

I'm not trying to keep something going that should probably end since it seems like it should, but I had to post something that helped me.

For me I wanted to get around FedEx shipments getting delivered to someone else when shipped to my house.......So I entered my work address and had shipment sent to work address because I wanted the books and DVD.

Possible option A

Before odering find another person with an address within the US that you trust. When ordering select the option to ship to an another address (billing and email are you, shipping is a buddy in the US = $9.00).

Get the email and use digital stuff and:

1) have the buddy destroy the DVD and any serial number stuff and let him keep the books

2) as for #1 but donate the books to Goodwill

3) have buddy ship some or all to you using regular postal mail

Possible option B (live outside of US with no friends in US and do not want hardcopy stuff)

Use your billing and email information and have the shipping address entered as MAtrix themselves and AFTER placing the order send them a note to donate the books to goodwill or keep as inventory to use for damaged replacements.

Option B above means you pay for material not being used BUT it seems to me that theres no way around that now and there may be no way around this later but it may give some of you who want the game but not huge shipping and associated boarder fees a solution
radic202

Post by radic202 »

Thanks Mat_JacK,

But for me it does not work as My Credit Card will NOT authorize the purchase if the address is different then the Credit Card Holder. I do have it already authorized (had to call them though at one time) to ship to my work address but that is the same city, same province and of course same country.

Now there are exceptions when purchasing gifts for Xmas and Birthdays as long as it is shipped in the same country and when that happens I usually get a friendly call from my Gold Card Account Rep double checking before letting the charge go through if I have never had anything shipped there before. Not sure if it is the same with others but my CC company watches online purchases with a fine tooth comb (and that is a good thing). On a whim, I may call them in the morrow and see if this is a possibility. I even wonder if I used one of those pre-paid credit cards if that would work. I have plenty of friends in the US that can handle the shipment for me.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Link your CC to PayPal ... and when you pay via PayPal you can select the option to have it shipped to a different address each time, and these need not be your Billing Address for the CC, which, of course, PayPal really neither knows nor cares about.

I would be surprised if your Bank/CC Provider didn't allow this but, if that's the case, you can do what I did some years ago when RPGNow's customer database was hacked and my CC was hit by several hundred $$$ in bogus charges (all reversed, since they were for things like flights from Brazil to Paris, and I was obviously in Australia [:)]), I went to another friendly Bank and got a CC with a $500 limit, and use that for purchasing from the Internet ... and make sure *that* Bank allows you to send things to a different address than your Billing Address.

Or, in many (most?) countries you can buy VISA or other stored value (Debit) cards at your local Post Office or large stores for set amounts or, in some cases, rechargeable ones, and use those ... and they don't care what your address is, as long as there's enough money in them to pay for whatever you want to buy. I know, as my Sister, a real technophobe that way, but an online shopaholic, does that and has been quite happy with the one she got through Australia Post (she was telling me the other night it was only a 90c charge per transaction and free reload).

So there are always options to get around this insane decision of Matrix's.

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
mariandavid

Post by mariandavid »

Perhaps Matrix/Slitherine/Ageod could simply investigate the difference in duty cost when NOT using FedEx etc. I buy a lot of boardgames as well from the States and have insisted that they be sent by UPS/Canada Post and NEVER by FedEx and the rest. The reasons:

- they charge before shipping a fixed brokerage fee (always the maximum possible under any possible circumstance), which allows them to pass freely through the cost estimate section of Canadian Customs - its easier for them and a lot more expensive for you.
- if they miss you it is an utter pain to get a second delivery (as opposed to post in which you just totter gleefully down to the nearest post office)
- and in any case they often (in the cities very often) use Canada Post to deliver to the door anyway!

As an example of this nonsense - bought a set of games from Clash of Arms - cost me $120 plus c$30 shipping. FedEx charged me $60 for the pre-estimated (meaning they had no idea) cost of entry!

I feel better now after that vent - though incidentally check the shipping costs of a place like CoolStuffInc. It will give you (and Matrix maybe) the postage costs of items comparable to this one.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL
You have the choice to either wait until you visit the US or a trade fair such as Essen to save on both, or not to buy at all.
Yeah, this is a really reasonable set of options for a product which could be offered 100% digitally [8|]
Manuals are beautifull, by the way. Visitors seeing them comment on them, and react in awe as they immediatly position the software product accordingly. They value in that way the product in their way.
I'm not sure if we're to take this post seriously, but some of us don't attach much value to this line of reasoning.
That is like saying, I want to buy just the car, but please don't include the tires, they're too expensive and I don't want them.
No, actually, it is nothing like that, because tires are in fact necessary to operate the car. This is more like a dealer saying that you can only buy the car if you also pay 1/2 the price of the car to the stereo shop next door for a really cool car stereo, because you can't really appreciate this car without good music (a large amount paid to a third party for something which is both unnecessary and unwanted).
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

When we find out shipping weight, etc, we can probably find out how much other shipping options cost. That might allow non-US customers who have a friend in the US to receive it and then ship it another method for cost.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Matrix Games also have Gift Cards now in Various denominations. Maybe buy one of them with credit card and then use the gift card to buy the game and have it shipped to US address.

rick
radic202

Post by radic202 »

WELL IT WORKED!!!!!

I had to go out to the store for my better-half and in-line at the cash they had pre-paid Visa Cards, so what the heck! Had to pay the $6.45 activation fee but bought one nonetheless, if it don't work here I can always use it elsewhere.

Call my buddy in Zephyhills Florida, said no problem, entered the purchase info, his address and low and behold a $10.00 CND ($9.00 US) Shipping Fee appears and poof it went through. I will simply pick up the manuals and DVD on my next trip to Florida or have have my parents pick it up or he can send them to me low priority US post.

ALL and ALL I have it with minimum shipping charges up front!

My only disappointment is that it took the Community of Forum Posters and some very nice Members in here via Private Messages (looking at you Rick) to find a solution. I would have thought that Matrix would have been more forthcoming...............

Now to watch those videos that all of you are praising.
radic202

Post by radic202 »

By The Way, buddy said that he has no problem receiving other shipments for those who are or were in the same boat as me. He can destroy or give away as you please or whartever and works form home, so always there to receive the package........Just PM me if you need an address.
Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

I wonder if they could be shipped as a document (not commodity) shipment. I will see if I can find some alternatives.
danimaning2

Post by danimaning2 »

It´s so strange that Matrix put the DD option at the SAME price?, nobody would come harmed (only Fedex).

I can´t understand why
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

No one else can, either ... even the posters who believe that the decision is the best of all possble worlds [:D]

If you figure it out, let the rest of us know!

[;)]

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
jerrystead

Post by jerrystead »

ORIGINAL: Mat_Jack

I'm not trying to keep something going that should probably end since it seems like it should, but I had to post something that helped me.

For me I wanted to get around FedEx shipments getting delivered to someone else when shipped to my house.......So I entered my work address and had shipment sent to work address because I wanted the books and DVD.

Possible option A

Before odering find another person with an address within the US that you trust. When ordering select the option to ship to an another address (billing and email are you, shipping is a buddy in the US = $9.00).

Get the email and use digital stuff and:

1) have the buddy destroy the DVD and any serial number stuff and let him keep the books

2) as for #1 but donate the books to Goodwill

3) have buddy ship some or all to you using regular postal mail

Possible option B (live outside of US with no friends in US and do not want hardcopy stuff)

Use your billing and email information and have the shipping address entered as MAtrix themselves and AFTER placing the order send them a note to donate the books to goodwill or keep as inventory to use for damaged replacements.

Option B above means you pay for material not being used BUT it seems to me that theres no way around that now and there may be no way around this later but it may give some of you who want the game but not huge shipping and associated boarder fees a solution

I ordered it through my assumed ID because I'm on the Witness Protection program. This allowed me to order it in the US. I contacted the hackers at Anonymous and they were able to order with a credit card of an American citizen. I then had the package shipped to the White House, but with the help of the A-Team, and that guy from Bourne Identity, I flew in a chopper and was able to intercept the package before it got there. The Manuals were then smuggled into the UK inside my niece's teddy bear, and I was able to get the DVD into the country and through the TSA screening and customs checks by inserting it into my rectum. [:D]

Are you serious?
Jerry S.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Birmingham, AL
jerrystead

Post by jerrystead »

You have the choice to either wait until you visit the US or a trade fair such as Essen to save on both, or not to buy at all.

That's it!
I've figured it out. Matrix doesn't actually want us to buy this game!

Don't you see? They're testing us.

Jerry S.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Birmingham, AL
jeffk3510

Post by jeffk3510 »

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Yeah, this is a really reasonable set of options for a product which could be offered 100% digitally [8|]
Manuals are beautifull, by the way. Visitors seeing them comment on them, and react in awe as they immediatly position the software product accordingly. They value in that way the product in their way.
I'm not sure if we're to take this post seriously, but some of us don't attach much value to this line of reasoning.
No, actually, it is nothing like that, because tires are in fact necessary to operate the car. This is more like a dealer saying that you can only buy the car if you also pay 1/2 the price of the car to the stereo shop next door for a really cool car stereo, because you can't really appreciate this car without good music (a large amount paid to a third party for something which is both unnecessary and unwanted).

Guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Dez caught it

Return to “World in Flames”