MULTIPLAYER Joint Command RELEASED!

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

RoryAndersonCDT

MULTIPLAYER Joint Command RELEASED!

Post by RoryAndersonCDT »

Joint Command

Hi Everyone!

I`ve been doing some experimentation. [:D] And I’ve come up with a workable multiplayer plugin for Command.

I call it Joint Command!

I started thinking that command essentially has a hotseat multiplayer system if you play in the editor if each player has 30 minute turns.

I then thought that the only reason people just wouldn`t play command this way and pass a scenario file back and forth was that there wasn`t a software tool for making it relatively easy.

It watches the autosaves that command generates during the players turn and uploads them. I plan to make google earth kml files from this so you can watch your units and contacts during an opponents turn. I made a proof of concept plugin called Baloogan Geostream which had the added benefit of being able to watch action in command live in google earth, where unit positions update roughly a minute after they happen in command.

I call it PBEM style because the gameplay is asynchronous, only you need to be online to play your turn. A good portion of the game is setting up intelligent missions so your forces play well during your opponent`s turns.

It also supports every side configuration Command does. Players can be allies, enemies or neutral to each other.
The only 4 player game we have played, one player was the french air force, one player was an amphbious TF, one player was a carrier battle group, there was an ai player controlling a few unimportant units, and everyone was vs me playing as the fascist italians!

Currently we have a pair of 1v1 games , one in its’ 8th turn one in its 5th turn. So far so good!

I`m hoping Joint Command will be pretty fun!

Matches status as of Last Page Edit Time

I've also moved from a closed beta to an open beta, please join us at https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan to arrange for some multiplayer fun. : )

Geoscape

Hey all! Just wanted to make a formal announcement of my next plugin: “Geoscape“!

Geoscape is a multiplayer dynamic campaign for Command. Geoscape will take commands from players and determine when combat needs to be resolved. It then generates Joint Command matches for each theater and then Joint Command in turn generates Command scenarios!

Geoscape is about persistence, units will exist before multiplayer matches and will exist (potentially damaged!) after multiplayer matches. Logistics will also be tracked, weapons will need to be shipped or flown around.

If you would like to help beta test Geoscape please sign up by chatting with us here: https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan or emailing me at baloogan@baloogan.com !

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

RE: Joint Command: PBEM Style Command Multiplayer

Right now Joint Command (JC) is in a closed beta. I'm accepting additional beta applications at this time, just send me an email at baloogan@baloogan.com.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

Currently all JC beta testers are hanging out here: https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan
Jabbr is a persistent chat room, you can see the chat logs all the way back to when I first started testing the launcher. I think persistent chat rooms are really cool because you can post a question there and when I get online I can see it. [:D] Its more like a message board than a chat room in that regard.

And finally a couple of rules for the closed beta:

[*] One user name per person; do not share usernames. I'm very amenable to adding new people to the multiplayer beta just drop me a line; but I will be enforcing this. If you pay attention to one rule this should be it. [:)]
[*] Don't try to break JC, if you find a way to break JC please let me know. By break I mean you being able to affect multiplayer games you are not involved in; you being able to delete JC's data files.
[*] Do not share the download link for the launcher.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
scout1

Post by scout1 »

Still on the fence for this title .... Badly want some person to person play here ....

Is this concept, a multi-player mode against the AI or potentially a true player vs player ?
ExMachina

Post by ExMachina »

Baloogan, I love that your doing this and I'm anxious to see how this goes.

So is the concept basically that the player essentially sets up his forces to allow the AI to play his setup against the opponent's setup during each 30 minute interval?
sluggy2010

Post by sluggy2010 »

Nice one mate - well done!

Regards

Sluggy
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: scout1

Still on the fence for this title .... Badly want some person to person play here ....

Is this concept, a multi-player mode against the AI or potentially a true player vs player ?

Both! Any combination of side relations in Command can be handled by JC. Players can be friendly, hostile, unfriendly, or neutral towards eachother or AI sides.

So far we have been mostly playing player vs player, with AI sides taking care of Civilians.

We had a 3v1 earlier on in the beta, where there was one AI side on the 3 player side. I was the player everyone was playing against [:D]

Every way you have sides set up in command can be handled by JC. You could have 4 AI players vs 2 human players, or even 1 ai vs 1 player.

The way JC determines which sides should be AI is any side that isn't claimed by a player at the start of the match is AI. And by AI I mean no one touches it during game play. The AI is as smart as the scenario author makes it.

JC also supports all triggers/actions/and other features in Command.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: ExMachina

Baloogan, I love that your doing this and I'm anxious to see how this goes.

So is the concept basically that the player essentially sets up his forces to allow the AI to play his setup against the opponent's setup during each 30 minute interval?

Yes, plus during your 30 minutes you can micromanage your forces any way you like. It forces you to think proactively, should you always have aircraft ready on the ground with intercept orders so they take off when your units first detect enemy bogies? Should you have AAW caps setup over your airbase (yes [:D]). You should also make your SAGs zig zag so its harder to do TMA on your forces.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: sluggy

Nice one mate - well done!

Regards

Sluggy

Cheers Sluggy! I think command really lends itself to making plugins like your SeaHag. I'm hoping for a very robust and lively ecosystem of plugins.

Plus thanks for giving me a heads up you were working on SeaHag about a month ago and letting get a sneak peek at it [:)]. Letting me know that you were working on something like that was a great help; I'm always thinking about projects that I'm not working on and knowing that you were well on your way to a great audio plugin helped me focus on things not related to audio.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
JRyan

Post by JRyan »

Interesting....[:D]
But By Grace Go I.......
RoryAndersonCDT

Multiplayer Geostream Capability, so you can see what happened to your units on your opponents' turns.

This is what it looked like from my side's vide of an AMRAAM barrage! Everything is timestamped.

My airbase.

Please ask ArmyVet and Kushan to generate their side's KML and post it. I promise I will not peek. [:)]

These are the kml files for only the units on my side in the two 1v1 I'm playing with against Kushan and ArmyVet.

http://geostream.baloogancampaign.com/A ... b.side.kml

http://geostream.baloogancampaign.com/B ... b.side.kml

You need google earth to view these.
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
jomni

Post by jomni »

Wait. Can you accelerate time?
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

this is an amazing idea and as an honour system it can work great, but can the turns be for shorter time periods than 30 minutes? or perhaps variable in game?
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: jomni

Wait. Can you accelerate time?

Yes! Its PBEM style, you can play at your own pace. The only thing is I'd like to get everyone running JC at all times when they are playing their turn. Currently JC doesn't check for cheating but I think at some point if you spawn a couple of CVBGs right behind the enemy's main task force JC might take an issue with that. [;)]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

this is an amazing idea and as an honour system it can work great, but can the turns be for shorter time periods than 30 minutes? or perhaps variable in game?

Turn length can be anywhere north of 1 minute long. Plus you can currently vary the turn length during the game. In my battle with Dandin we have agreed to go to 15 minute turns at the 5.5 hour mark. We both have lots of aircraft that readyed after 6 hours and I think having a little finer control during the heavy action might be a good idea!

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
ArmyVet2004

Post by ArmyVet2004 »

Here is what my game is starting to look like on Geostream

Looking really good Baloogan

Orlando

Attachments
Baloogan Geostream.jpg
Baloogan Geostream.jpg (285.04 KiB) Viewed 1006 times
Orlando
RabidMortal

Post by RabidMortal »

This could be promising. Baloogan, what do you mean by "Currently JC doesn't check for cheating"? I thought I understood what this was until I read that. Could you maybe post a quick video overview of how this plugin works? [:)]
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: RabidMortal

This could be promising. Baloogan, what do you mean by "Currently JC doesn't check for cheating"? I thought I understood what this was until I read that. Could you maybe post a quick video overview of how this plugin works? [:)]

JC fundamentally is a program that watches you as you play Command, in this way it can check for cheating. If someone creates a carrier battle group out of thin air just over the hoizon during a multiplayer match that would be something JC might be able to detect.

It also allows you to move a save game from player to player and it also sets the time remaining to a certain number of minutes and the allowed sides you can play.
And now it generates google earth files so you can track your units during your opponents' turns.

I've tried to make a video or two of the plugin, can't really find the time to edit them. My stream on Saturday will be focused on JC. I will be playing turns and anyone who wants to join the Beta will be able to on air. [:)]
If you would like to give JC a try drop me a line at baloogan@baloogan.com or join us at https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan and one of the current beta testers might be able to awnser your questions.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
RoryAndersonCDT

ORIGINAL: ArmyVet2004

Here is what my game is starting to look like on Geostream

Looking really good Baloogan

Orlando

Cheers [:)]
Command Dev Team
Technical Lead
jomni

Post by jomni »

Ah because you play this in Editor mode.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”