Need Help? Ask The Semi-Experts

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Need Help? Ask The Semi-Experts

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

I'm struggling against the endless forms and windows. I go to a menu or use a hotkey to open a form and they regularly appear hidden behind the map. I move my mouse over new windows that I finally manage to get on top of another window, only to have the window vanish back under. I only have one monitor, so I don't have endless screen real estate. I tried playing some more for the last six hours and I literally spent MORE than half my time just trying to move windows around to get at information or buttons. (My wife has heard me swearing and has started calling the game "Windows in Flames".)

Is there a full description of how to control the game's windows someplace? The Player's Manual just refers you to the tutorials. The Picture and Text tutorial doesn't have anything. The "Interactive Tutorial" is less than helpful in getting the big picture (I did my best to decode some of the encrypted information...I didn't learn much and had to stop before I punched my monitor. At least I know where to click to drag some of the windows now, even though I still cannot really control what is going on overall). The "Video Tutorials" just activate the "Windows Media Player Classic has stopped working" form.

Any thoughts or advice? I'm 16 hours into fiddling with the game now. I've only managed to get to 1 impulse into Nov/Dec and I still feel like I'm in a constant wrestling match with the interface.
Well, let's see if I can help.

Most forms open so their top is right up against the bottom of the Main form. The detailed map is set up that way too. Try making the detailed Map slightly smaller at the top (the thickness of the border) so there is a gap between the Main form and the detailed map. Then when Help forms, or other forms, appear, you will be able to see their border above the detailed map. Click on their border and they will be on top of the detailed map. Be careful not to run the mouse over the detailed map or it will jump back to being on top. If you do this and like the results, be sure to Redefine the New Game screen layout (.SLY) so the change will be permanent whenever you start the game.

I think the above paragraph describes the best solution, but here is another. Click on the icon in the top left corner of the detailed map. That will roll it up into its top border, getting all but its top border out of the way. Click on the icon a second time and it will roll down again. This might be useful if there are a lot of things you want to review one after another.

Lastly, as a new player you are undoubtedly using the Help menu and the items therein a lot. This is why we want everyone to have the printed manuals. The appendices have virtually all the help pages gathered together in one place. Leave the manual open to those sections and you won't need to display so many forms. Of course everyone is still waiting on the manuals to arrive - and that includes me.

---

If you get frustrated with something, please ask for help. There are many beta testers, not just me, who will be able to answer questions. The game is challenging enough as a game. The player interface shouldn't be getting in your way so much. And if it is, then I want to work on fixing that.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: Grizzly

I am a complete WiF newbie. Where is the best place to start?

- Manuals?
- Video tutorials?
- In game tutorials?

And where to go from there?
warspite1

I am not a complete newb, but even so I would say the tutorials are a must. They take time to go through, but given the manuals don't seem to really tell you how to do things, I think the videos are invaluable.

The manuals don't really tell you how to do things? Well, this sounds like a big problem. I better start looking at the manuals to see what you mean, but their 500+ pages had better teach me how to do things in the game.
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

Reducing the size of the detailed map seems like it will solve some of my issues. (I'm not sure what you meant by reducing the thickness of the border of the window. If that is something you can do separate from reducing the size of the window overall, I don't know how to do it.) One of the first things I have been doing when starting the game is making the map larger so that I can reduce the amount of scrolling around I have to do.

I just spent some time playing with the "Screen Layout" form since you mentioned the "Redefine" thing. I hadn't delved into the tiny box that said "New Game" in it, but which didn't do anything when you click on it. I'm still puzzled by why "Add to list" doesn't have any files to add. Not sure what that means. I have my new layout saved and "new game" appears below it as a link. When I click "new game" my redefined layout reappears (same as my saved version), only the link to new game vanishes and the name of the form changes. It's...puzzling, but not getting in my way. I read the appendix information about it, but that left me more confused.

I did notice from the appendix that there was some reference to boolean variables which included "form visibility". I'm assuming that part of the appendix is for folks who understanding moding and such, it's beyond me. Is there a setting within the game that I can change that will cause new windows I open to always appear definitively on top of everything and stay there until I dismiss them? After all, if I am issuing a command to open a new window it is probably because I want to use it (if you see what I mean...not trying to be snarky.) Are there times when you issue a command to open a window but you would NOT want it to be on top?

Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

- Manuals?
- Video tutorials?
- In game tutorials?

warspite1

I am not a complete newb, but even so I would say the tutorials are a must. They take time to go through, but given the manuals don't seem to really tell you how to do things, I think the videos are invaluable.

The manuals don't really tell you how to do things? Well, this sounds like a big problem. I better start looking at the manuals to see what you mean, but their 500+ pages had better teach me how to do things in the game.

What software do you need to play the videos? They won't play on my computer.
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

VLC or windows media player work for me
okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

Lingering Frey,

Look in Players Manual 1, section 8.6 for screen layouts.
"Robur Ex Vigilantia," meaning "In Vigilance is Strength"

bo

Post by bo »

- Manuals?
- Video tutorials?
- In game tutorials?

warspite1

We are trying to be helpful jglazier, please try to stop taking everything literally, warspite is referring to, if he the poster cannot understand the manuals then go to the videos which are excellent, and the wording "had better teach me" by you is a little strong it seems to me. If you want help, we will be glad to help you in any way we can, but we are human and your attitude is important to us as to whether we are willing to help you or not. Be nice and we will be nice.

Bo
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

I spoke too soon. Do I really need to move around the windows every time I shift to a different major power?
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

ORIGINAL: sanderz

VLC or windows media player work for me

Windows Media Player (I have Vista) does not work for me.
HR2

Post by HR2 »

I have a question- Is it totally necessary to read the manual to play the game?

I just don't have the patient to read- anything (I might have finished one book in my 67 year life:) I did read some manuals back in the day with board games like SL,3R etc. (and the ensuing arguments:)

I've played GGWitE, SC global, etc with no rule reading and do very well due to my vast experience. Or at the least would skimming some important rules be enough?

I was trying to figure out if it's a total computer game minus the AI that would enforce the rules. I read above yes but bought the game it earlier today after hemming and hollering to find out myself:)

Of course I was going to buy it loving strategic games but will anxiously await the AI addon
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I spoke too soon. Do I really need to move around the windows every time I shift to a different major power?
warspite1

What do you mean "move around the windows" Lingering Frey?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

ORIGINAL: HR2

I just don't have the patient to read- anything (n might have finished one book in my 67 year life:) I did read some manuals back in the day with board games like SL,3R etc. (and the ensuing arguments:)

I've played GGWitE, SC global, etc with no rule reading and do very well due to my vast experience. Or at the least would skimming some important rules be enough.

I was trying to figure out if it's a total computer game minus the AI that would enforce the rules. I read above yes but bought the game it earlier today after hemming and hollering to find out myself:)

Of course I was going to buy it loving strategic games but will anxiously await the AI addon

No, it isn't necessary to read the manual to play the game. Just start with the video's and the tutorials and after that dive into Barbarossa. However, there is advice on good play in the manuals...
Peter
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: HR2

I just don't have the patient to read- anything (I might have finished one book in my 67 year life:) I did read some manuals back in the day with board games like SL,3R etc. (and the ensuing arguments:)

I've played GGWitE, SC global, etc with no rule reading and do very well due to my vast experience. Or at the least would skimming some important rules be enough?

warspite1

As a minimum you will need to look at the tutorials, but even then, that won't be sufficient to allow you to grasp all the rules. This is a complex game!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

ORIGINAL: okiemcguire

Lingering Frey,

Look in Players Manual 1, section 8.6 for screen layouts.

Ah, I hadn't found that. Thanks! Will start studying it.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

I highly doubt I will read all of the manuals. I figure since I will only play solitaire I can stumble along and pick up some tricks here, especially by reading some ARR's. The video tutorials have a lot of useful information. I learn better from seeing anyway so the tutorials have been very helpful.

It's OK if I am an awful player if I'm just playing against myself. I've played TOAW since it first came out and I still haven't figure out how to get the most out of the combat round system. [:D]
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

warspite1

I've redefined a new screen layout. When I switch major powers, I have a windows changing position and vanishing.
Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I am going to buy this game but I have a question first:

I am probably going to get a new computer possibly by Christmas, and I don't want to wait until then to buy Wif. So it will still be on my old machine. Is the game usable on more than one machine? If not, how will I transfer it over from the old to new computer?

Thanks.

Anthony DeChristopher
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Gendarme

I am going to buy this game but I have a question first:

I am probably going to get a new computer possibly by Christmas, and I don't want to wait until then to buy Wif. So it will still be on my old machine. Is the game usable on more than one machine? If not, how will I transfer it over from the old to new computer?

Thanks.

Anthony DeChristopher

Not positive I understand what you are saying but I wll try, if you buy the game, besides the free download if that is what you want to do [use the download option] You will recieve a hard disk [cd] with the game on it and I believe you will be able to load the game from the disk to your new computer. You can then transfer your saved games into your new computers MWIF files. I hope this helps you.

Bo
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

ORIGINAL: bo

warspite1

We are trying to be helpful jglazier, please try to stop taking everything literally, warspite is referring to, if he the poster cannot understand the manuals then go to the videos which are excellent, and the wording "had better teach me" by you is a little strong it seems to me. If you want help, we will be glad to help you in any way we can, but we are human and your attitude is important to us as to whether we are willing to help you or not. Be nice and we will be nice.

Bo

Thank you, Bo, for putting me in my place. I'm serious, thank you. I'm not being sarcastic. I came off way too harsh in a moment of frustration. I have just seen way too many poorly written manuals that don't tell you anything about how to play their game, when I saw that comment it got me worried, like here we go again.

I have posted a lot of comments in this forum the past couple days, and I think I have always been kind. I don't like rude people, so I don't want to be one myself.

I certainly do want all your help as I learn this amazing game, so I will be more careful with my wording in the future.

Thank you!
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

warspite1

I've redefined a new screen layout. When I switch major powers, I have a windows changing position and vanishing.

I think I understand what is going on now after reading 8.6 a few times. Within the paragraph talking about the data fields stored within a type of computer file is a sentence (with an exclamation point) that says the Map View list form has to be individually redefined for every major power. The MV form was jumping under where I had moved other forms and other forms were simply closing each time I switched major powers.

I'm still not sure if I can get things to work right because I'm still very unclear about the "Add to list" functionality versus saving new forms versus redefining...but at least I know what my problem is now.

Return to “World in Flames”