Multiple deployment zones

Visit here to get your questions about scenario making answered.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

DoubleDeuce

Multiple deployment zones

Post by DoubleDeuce »

When using multiple deployment zones (say for different groups) does the AI randomize deployment of units anywhere within connected deployment zones hexes that they are originally placed?

For example, say I have a northern and southern deployment zone, each 7 hexes in size and I deploy a small force of 3 units into each of those 'zone areas' (not locked in position). Will the AI deploy those 3 units randomly to alter their setup with each scenario replay within that 7 hex zone were they were originally placed. Will it randomly place them into other zones that are available on the map?

Basically what I need to make sure of is that select units are 'deployed' by the AI in certain areas BUT randomize the placement in that selected area to alter the setup and add some variety to the enemy setup.
Mad Russian

RE: Multiple deployment zones

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

When using multiple deployment zones (say for different groups) does the AI randomize deployment of units anywhere within connected deployment zones hexes that they are originally placed?

For example, say I have a northern and southern deployment zone, each 7 hexes in size and I deploy a small force of 3 units into each of those 'zone areas' (not locked in position). Will the AI deploy those 3 units randomly to alter their setup with each scenario replay within that 7 hex zone were they were originally placed. Will it randomly place them into other zones that are available on the map?

The AI will only put units where you place them. It won't randomize the setup for you.

What it will do is respond differently each time to your own setup. You make changes to your setup and it makes changes to how it comes out of it's own setup zone.

To maximize that you may want to have the AI be setup around a crossroads so that it can easily go to the right or the left without a lot of reorganization.
Basically what I need to make sure of is that select units are 'deployed' by the AI in certain areas BUT randomize the placement in that selected area to alter the setup and add some variety to the enemy setup.

At the moment there are is no differentiation of setup zones. What you have instead is an option to lock a unit or make it inactive.

To get to this option right click the unit and chose the top option in the selection tree. Select 'Unit Parameters Setup'.

Once you do that you will have the options available to you of two sets of parameters.

On the right side:
Training - Readiness - Ammo - Morale .

On the left side:
Apply all settings to subordinate units
Start scenario in Inactive State
Unit is locked in place and cannot relocate
Arrival time
Departure time

Good Hunting.

MR
Attachments
LockingUnits.jpg
LockingUnits.jpg (37.48 KiB) Viewed 80 times
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

What you want are the two options on the right.

Start Scenario in Inactive State or Unit is locked in place and cannot relocate.

For the AI side, all units are already locked in place and cannot relocate. Once the scenario begins that unit is free to move.

Placing a unit in an inactive state is another animal altogether. A unit placed in Inactive State will sit there until it has LOS or is engaged by the enemy. Either AI or gamer controlled. Makes no difference, you won't get that unit until it's been engaged.

Hope that helps.

Good Hunting.

MR

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Ok thanks. Then the 'Unit is locked in place and cannot relocate' one is the one I was really interested in. So with that, say I have a CRP sitting at a northern map crossroads as a flank guard, they should not get drawn out of their defensive positions by actions in the center or south parts of the map due to loss of VL or enemy casualties. Basically they will stay put and quiet unless they are engaged or get eyes on the enemy.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

A locked in place is only for setup purposes. It lets a scenario designer put out the sacrificial lamb without the player being able to change it.

Once the scenario starts the unit is free to take whatever orders it gets. Like all the units that were free setup.

The Inactive State unit is the one that will sit there until engaged.

Good Hunting.

MR

DoubleDeuce

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Alright, thanks for clarifying that for me.

Return to “Scenario School”