No pbem ability???

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

CarnageINC

No pbem ability???

Post by CarnageINC »

I was reading the description in the store and notice that it says no pbem....is this right?

Theatre: World
Unit Scale: Division, Corps, Army
Players: 1-2
AI: No
PBEM: No
Complexity: Advanced

I see there is this Netplay ability, how does that work? Similar to Commander the Great War? It keeps the moves on a server?

Thanks for any insight into this [;)]
Aurelian

RE: No pbem ability???

Post by Aurelian »

Yep, no PBEM. Not yet.

No AI yet either.

Net play, both players have to be online at the same time.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

On average how long for a player to make their moves[&:]Will there be a lot of waiting[&:]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

PBEM is in the works, but I understand why Matrix put the emphasis on Netplay first. World in Flames is not ideally suited for PBEM. Many phases have back-and-forth interaction, so during those phases, both players are busy.

For example, if one player launches a Land attack, the other player gets the chance to fly Ground Support, then the first player can choose to fly interceptors, etc. If one player conducts a Ground strike, the other player decides whether to intercept, and the first player decides whether to intercept the interceptors. If one player moves naval units, the other player decides whether to intercept, then the first player decides whether to fight through, then the second player decides whether to fly naval-air support, then the first player...well, you get the idea. You can do all this via PBEM, but it will mean constant back-and-forth just to get through one air attack.

Some phases, most notably the Land Movement phase, are less interactive. These phases might involve some waiting for the other player, and these are the phases that most lend themselves to PBEM. There has been talk of a PBEM-Netplay hybrid system. It will be interesting to see what Steve comes up with.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

I was reading the description in the store and notice that it says no pbem....is this right?

Theatre: World
Unit Scale: Division, Corps, Army
Players: 1-2
AI: No
PBEM: No
Complexity: Advanced

I see there is this Netplay ability, how does that work? Similar to Commander the Great War? It keeps the moves on a server?

Thanks for any insight into this [;)]
Games are saved on each players' computer. Both players restore their own copy of a saved game and the program checks that they were made at the same point in the game (e.g., the sequence of play). Then the game restarts on both computers.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”