What might have been

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Ironclad

What might have been

Post by Ironclad »

Thomas Jackson, Brigadier General CSA died leading his division to victory at Harpers Ferry in November 1861 leaving the South to mourn the loss of a promising commander.
Dorb

RE: What might have been

Post by Dorb »

Not sure, but they sure could of used him at Gettysburg. I do think he would of made a difference.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Too true. Of course with him present there may not have been a battle there. If there was I can't see him allowing one of his divisional commanders to blunder so blindly into the opening action and he would have have massively capitalised on the advantageous position that developed during the first day.
KamilS

Post by KamilS »

I think it is complimentary question to one usually asked. Good one.

Not asking how could have he affected developments had he survived Chancellorsville, but actually how important was his contribution before, and what would have happened if he wasn't there.

It is very similar to very often forgotten attempt to look at II WW. People ask could have Germans done better, but forget to apply same attitude to Allies, especially Soviets, who did exceptionaly bad to create situation that make asking such question possible.
Kamil
Ironclad

Post by Ironclad »

Actually it was a "factual" report of his death in my current game against the Union AI but it does throw up the interesting question what the South would have done without his contribution during the early years. Lee would have had to rely on others so perhaps one of the later failures may have come good early on or someone less well known could have emerged. Who knows maybe Hood under Lee's direct supervision could have developed into a much better senior commander than he did when away from Lee.
Werewolf13

Post by Werewolf13 »

ORIGINAL: Dorb

Not sure, but they sure could of used him at Gettysburg. I do think he would of made a difference.

Gettysburg is considered by most if not all military historians to have been the turning point of the war. It is quite possible that had Jackson been at Gettysburg and Meade's army been defeated that the whole course of the war and even world history would have changed significantly.

Imagine. The USA ceases to exist and is replaced by two nations one an industrial powerhouse and one an agrarian based economy that IMO would have devolved into just another backwater.

Yep - world history would have been significantly different from the reality we enjoy today.

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

Return to “Civil War II”