Weapons Effective Range

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

wodin

RE: Weapons Effective Range

Post by wodin »

Offense taken (why do people say that when they know they are going to offend?)..I actually thought the thread was about weapon range in game. Sorry didn't realise you had the monopoly here. Can you tell the others who are also talking about combat range in Germany to go away aswell?

You need to understand that if they put in real world by the book values into the game the game wouldn't work properly..they have to be tailored to fit into the abstract nature of the game and it's terrain etc..shame you don't get that.

I shall now leave your thread, though I hadn't posted in it for abit until today.

If you gnat to have a private conversation with the developer I suggest you do it through email or PM..on a forum people join in on the discussion..and I do believe I've stayed on track..whether you like my view is another thing..but you can't talk real world ranges with regard to this game due to the very reasons I mention..I'm trying to teach you something..but obviously it hasn't worked.

I wouldn't be so worked up IF I had gone off topic..but being accused of hyjacking the thread is over the top.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Guy's,

Let take a deep breath on both sides. The issue here was a discussion of effective range and what is means. MikeAP sees it one way others see it based on the terrain and we (OTS) have our own definition explained upstream in this thread that is used in the game engine. The fact that all 3+ sides see effective range differently is fine and can be discussed here.

Bottom line no ones hijacking any threads as long as we are on the topic of Weapons Effective Range.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

I understand the OTS definition, and all is well.

Wodin, youre not off topic, but you keep steering the conversation by saying that in game weapon values should be dictated by terrain. That's not the discussion here.

No bad blood. I'm all for a conversation about terrain analysis in Germany in regards to weapon effectiveness. It's just not what this topic was about. This was just suppose to be in regards to the games raw data.

Edit - Wodin, in not sure if you realize it, but real world values are in fact used in game. The 'max range', although slightly off in some cases, are in the ball park. it is just the'effective range' that were short (explained by CD)
killkess

Post by killkess »

ORIGINAL: MikeAP

Edit - Wodin, in not sure if you realize it, but real world values are in fact used in game. The 'max range', although slightly off in some cases, are in the ball park. it is just the'effective range' that were short (explained by CD)

And just in case you havent realized it yet Max range by definition is mostly determined by the technical specs of the weapon system. In contrast there are several ways to look at the definition of "effective" range.Wodin looks at a definition which includes the current environment. What will be the effective range of a TOW inside a heavy forrest? Next to nill. As the terrain is quit some abstracted in this game you also have to take shorter los into account when determing the firing distances of the units. There is another thread where was explained that a open hex provides more cover and concealment than farmland. This suggests that abstracted there is a lot more buildings and stuff in the empty hexes than you think. So the open LOS distances you think to see arent there, hence they gave shorter effective ranges to compensate the abstracted nature of the game.
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

And just in case you havent realized it yet Max range by definition is mostly determined by the technical specs of the weapon system

That's what I just said...
What will be the effective range of a TOW inside a heavy forrest?

I would argue that the effective range of a TOW-2B shouldn't change, regardless of its environment. However, a TOW used in a forest should receive all sorts of terrain/line of sight penalties.

The only thing terrain dictates (or should) in terms of weapon effectiveness is line of sight.
TheWombat_matrixforum

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

This thread is now officially a semantics thread, about the definition of the word "effective." Sorry, but I doubt we'll get any sort of consensus on that one![:)]
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

As far as the LOS in FPC:RS being right/wrong, too long/too short, remember these maps were made from Google Earth. If you think the open distances are too great complain to Mother Earth and the Germans. I used the elevations and LOS obstructions as I see them displayed in GE.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
killkess

Post by killkess »

What is the resolution of the elevations in GE?
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: killkess

What is the resolution of the elevations in GE?

It's in single meter increments.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

killkess, each elevation is 25-30 meters of height in most cases. There is a bit of artistic license in setting the map elevations. MR is right that the system resolves distances and math in meter resolution.

We are looking at adding more elevation granularity and height as we go. Especially with rougher terrain appearing in the near future.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The first scenario pack will have much more mountainous terrain in it. Southern Germany is a rough place. Should make the combat resolution very different.

Looking forward to it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”