right click attacking

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Falcon1

right click attacking

Post by Falcon1 »

Hi all, expect lots of noob questions from me...

Sometimes when I right click on an adjacent unit, expecting a menu to pop up, instead some sort of attack takes place right away. Even when playing a tutorial, in one case where the instructions said "right click on the enemy unit and select 'plan an attack'", instead of the menu appearing, there was an immediate attack and then after that right clicking on that enemy unit did nothing. This just happens once in a while. Most of the time things work as expected.

Anyone know what's up with this?
Oberst_Klink

RE: right click attacking

Post by Oberst_Klink »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

Hi all, expect lots of noob questions from me...

Sometimes when I right click on an adjacent unit, expecting a menu to pop up, instead some sort of attack takes place right away. Even when playing a tutorial, in one case where the instructions said "right click on the enemy unit and select 'plan an attack'", instead of the menu appearing, there was an immediate attack and then after that right clicking on that enemy unit did nothing. This just happens once in a while. Most of the time things work as expected.

Anyone know what's up with this?
I presume you got an 'overrun attack', or what we call reatreat-before-combat (RBC). WAD.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

If there is a large difference between your combat values and the opponent's values, it's an automatic overrun/retreat before combat. You only get one chance at this per stack that you're attacking, so if you want to overrun, you should select the largest possible unit for the initial attack.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

OK so I guess this is a newer feature, since the tutorial was not expecting this to happen. (the one called "tutorial" with the north vs. south Korea) It just came as a total surprise and I thought I might have done something wrong. It seems like a player might want to have a choice if this happens or not, but since I'm still new at this I can't think of such a situation.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

OK so I guess this is a newer feature, since the tutorial was not expecting this to happen. (the one called "tutorial" with the north vs. south Korea) It just came as a total surprise and I thought I might have done something wrong. It seems like a player might want to have a choice if this happens or not, but since I'm still new at this I can't think of such a situation.

Falcon1,

It has always worked like that. If you do not want the possibility that an overrun might occur (and there are occasions) then move your cursor over the defending unit and press P to bring up the planning screen. You can then plan any attack you like. Some scenarios, Barbarossa scenarios are a good example have the Soviets at such high levels of negative shock that RBCs occur regularly in the early turns.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Good to know, thanks!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”