Intrigued - multi player game

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

LuckyJim1010

Intrigued - multi player game

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Hi all,
I must admit this behemoth has intrigued me.
It's worth buying it just for the price. I mean, it's so expensive they just deserve to have my money for sheer front. [:)]
But, and here I am serious, does the game lend itself to team play ?
I really fancy playing as the UK for example, under a Supreme Commander with other players controlling the USA, France etc.
I really like the idea of arguing with the Supreme Commander for that extra supplies I need to roll up the Germans in the North German plain, shout that I need lend lease more than Ivan and really should be in the forefront of any landing in Africa.
Hope you get what I mean.
And seriously, well done for getting this game to the market. £100 is a lot of money obviously, but I also remember buying SPI's Objective Moscow for £20 in about 1980 when I was earning £7 a week as a wine delivery chap at the tender age of 14
And dont get me started how much I spent on ASL and the modules
FroBodine

RE: Intrigued - multi player game

Post by FroBodine »

Whoa! They let you deliver wine when you were 14? Now I know I'm living in the wrong country!

Sorry - back to the topic of this thread . . .
obermeister

Post by obermeister »

Really, as an American, that was the first thing that struck me too. With the liquor laws in this country they'd toss you in jail and throw away the key.

Funny related story, a few years ago the movie theaters around here started serving alcohol. I tried buying a beer once and I nearly missed the start of the movie - the problem being that out of all the employees in the theater, only one or two were old enough to pour me a beer - as if handing me a bottle of beer would corrupt their youthful morals.
LuckyJim1010

Post by LuckyJim1010 »

Trust me it's all changed now. My daughter is 15 and cannot get a part time job in the Supermarket because she has to be 18 to 'work the machinery'

We grew up working after school and Saturdays.

I worked in a butchers for one Saturday, just the one, they had me clean out the offal bowl.

Nice work if you can get it.

Greengrocers, Off license shelf stacker/Delivery Boy, stacking shelves and working the Deli at Waitrose, offal bowl cleaner.

All helped pay for ASL and a myriad of other Wargames [;)]

Forgot to mention the Offal bowl was not a pretty little 8 inch bowl. Bloody big 6 foot diameter, 3 foot deep full of animal organs. Mind you I always liked the feel of Liver.

You've got me reminiscing now. Just for our Colonial cousins - I was 11 years old in 1977 when I started delivering wine and spirits to the good people of Chelsea, London. Think it bought me the 1st Wargame I ever owned. AH's D-Day. Bought it Harrods of all places.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

Hi all,
I must admit this behemoth has intrigued me.
It's worth buying it just for the price. I mean, it's so expensive they just deserve to have my money for sheer front. [:)]
But, and here I am serious, does the game lend itself to team play ?
I really fancy playing as the UK for example, under a Supreme Commander with other players controlling the USA, France etc.
I really like the idea of arguing with the Supreme Commander for that extra supplies I need to roll up the Germans in the North German plain, shout that I need lend lease more than Ivan and really should be in the forefront of any landing in Africa.
Hope you get what I mean.
And seriously, well done for getting this game to the market. £100 is a lot of money obviously, but I also remember buying SPI's Objective Moscow for £20 in about 1980 when I was earning £7 a week as a wine delivery chap at the tender age of 14
And dont get me started how much I spent on ASL and the modules
To answer your question, ...

If you are playing with 3 players to a side, then one player controls the Commonwealth, another the US & China, and the 3rd the USSR and France. Obviously the Axis players each control one of the Axis major powers.

There is no overall commander. You must negotiate nicely with your allies. Looking pitiful,[:(] despairing of the doom looming before you, and threatening payback in the future are all tried and true methods for gaining your allies support. Some allies are more difficult to convince than others.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

I see there is no pbem option.Will this change with an update?
oldbaldwargamer

Post by oldbaldwargamer »

PBEM would be perfect for me also.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

I see there is no pbem option.Will this change with an update?
Yes.

Also, at the moment the game is solitaire or 2 player in real time, online. Multiplayer is coming also.

But hey? It's fun being the supreme Allied or Axis commander.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

ORIGINAL: oldbaldwargamer

PBEM would be perfect for me also.

Play through some turns solitaire and you'll see this game is not too great for PBEM. There is far too much interaction between players during one player's turn. Sure you could do land movement with Germany and then send the file, but if you made 5 attacks in Russia, it could take 30 emails back and forth to get through ground support, interception, combat type choice, and advances and retreats.

PBEM is on the list for development but hopefully with the ability to switch back and forth between PBEM and NetPlay.
Paul
juntoalmar

Post by juntoalmar »

How does the game simulate the conflict between the two China factions (communist & nationalist)? Are they both played by the american player?
(my humble blog about wargames, in spanish) http://cabezadepuente.blogspot.com.es/
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

A lot depends on the number of players. In two player mode you (as the Allies) are hampered by the fact they can't cooperate, use each others supply sources, or stack together. Also the Commies must use Russian action limits but still can't do anything the Chinese action choice prohibits. It also is annoying to Russia trying to find a land move or two when Mao and the crew need them and at the same time get Russian needs met.

When playing multi-player, the Russians run the Commies and somebody in the west runs the Natios and you can get some competition happening late game when picking up the spoils from a collapsing Japanese empire.

Edit: But they cannot fight each other!
Paul

Return to “World in Flames”