Weapons Effective Range

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

TheWombat_matrixforum

RE: Weapons Effective Range

Post by TheWombat_matrixforum »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Well thats an issue right there..3500 to 4000m just isn't a range that would be viable in the terrain the battle would be fought on. As I said the max range on average by NATO wargames in Germany during the eighties was 1800m, very little over that before LOS was blocked by terrain features..

Well, there are cases where the terrain lends itself to long lines of fire. From hills across gently sloping fields, down to rivers, for instance, and from ridge to ridge. The key are the NATO imaging systems that extend vision well beyond the unaided or even optically aided eye in conditions of bad visibility. If you get the "perfect storm" of long unobstructed ranges and darkness or limited optical visibility, you can have cases where NATO can actually hit stuff at 4000m reliably. It's not that common, but it does happen when you get lucky. It also points out how crucial terrain is. Even the Pact can rip you up if you insist on traversing open ridge lines in front of them.

I remember driving through the corridor to Helmstedt from Berlin in the late 1980s, as well as taking the duty train to Frankfurt. There were a fair number of areas where you could have had great, long lines of fire assuming all else was equal. It was a mixture of open, wooded, built up, and mixed terrain, that was pretty variable depending on where you were. So the average was relatively low, but there were spots where it was wide open.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: TheWombat

Well thats an issue right there..3500 to 4000m just isn't a range that would be viable in the terrain the battle would be fought on. As I said the max range on average by NATO wargames in Germany during the eighties was 1800m, very little over that before LOS was blocked by terrain features..

Well, there are cases where the terrain lends itself to long lines of fire. From hills across gently sloping fields, down to rivers, for instance, and from ridge to ridge. The key are the NATO imaging systems that extend vision well beyond the unaided or even optically aided eye in conditions of bad visibility. If you get the "perfect storm" of long unobstructed ranges and darkness or limited optical visibility, you can have cases where NATO can actually hit stuff at 4000m reliably. It's not that common, but it does happen when you get lucky. It also points out how crucial terrain is. Even the Pact can rip you up if you insist on traversing open ridge lines in front of them.

I remember driving through the corridor to Helmstedt from Berlin in the late 1980s, as well as taking the duty train to Frankfurt. There were a fair number of areas where you could have had great, long lines of fire assuming all else was equal. It was a mixture of open, wooded, built up, and mixed terrain, that was pretty variable depending on where you were. So the average was relatively low, but there were spots where it was wide open.

And that's one of the challenges of the game -- properly identifying and defending areas (as NATO) such as this with open terrain and nice kill zones.
TheWombat_matrixforum

ORIGINAL: BROJD

And that's one of the challenges of the game -- properly identifying and defending areas (as NATO) such as this with open terrain and nice kill zones.

Indeed. I've had a single platoon--or less--of Abrams tear up a Motor Rifle battalion when it had the right position, and a company of US tanks wiped out when it was in the wrong place, and the T-80s rolled up at point-blank range.
wodin

Post by wodin »

I get that..but as I said during wargames NATO realized very little fighting took place further than 1800m no matter what optics used due to terrain features (woods, buildings, elevation rises from dips to hills, walls, hedges etc etc) ..so any fighting further than 2000m should be the exception rather than the rule..which it isn't at the moment. This is a problem many game shave when they have detailed weapon mechanics but abstract terrain..it can clash. Due to the abstract nature of the terrain you then have to abstract the weapons esp when it comes to range \LOS, making sure they actually make contact with enemy forces at the approx ranges is would be possible. I came across this sort of problem with Tigers Unleashed which has a very detailed weapon and ballistics model..but it can and does clash with the abstract nature of hex terrain.

You need to keep the game within average possible results using that weaponry on that part of the world. There is no room in the game to say well there will be times that combat would take place at 3000m+ in the real battle so we shall have it in because it means you'll have loads of fighting at that distance rather than a few..as clear terrain is clear terrain. The only way to keep it within realistic results is to find out what the average max combat rage was or would be and use that as your max range in game if shooting across terrain on the same elevation. Maybe increase it further if on higher elevation.

TheWombat_matrixforum

I get that..but as I said during wargames NATO realized very little fighting took place further than 1800m no matter what optics used due to terrain features (woods, buildings, elevation rises from dips to hills, walls, hedges etc etc) ..so any fighting further than 2000m should be the exception rather than the rule..which it isn't at the moment. This is a problem many game shave when they have detailed weapon mechanics but abstract terrain..it can clash. Due to the abstract nature of the terrain you then have to abstract the weapons esp when it comes to range \LOS, making sure they actually make contact with enemy forces at the approx ranges is would be possible. I came across this sort of problem with Tigers Unleashed which has a very detailed weapon and ballistics model..but it can and does clash with the abstract nature of hex terrain.

You need to keep the game within average possible results using that weaponry on that part of the world. There is no room in the game to say well there will be times that combat would take place at 3000m+ in the real battle so we shall have it in because it means you'll have loads of fighting at that distance rather than a few..as clear terrain is clear terrain. The only way to keep it within realistic results is to find out what the average max combat rage was or would be and use that as your max range in game if shooting across terrain on the same elevation. Maybe increase it further if on higher elevation.

You make a solid point, but it's not one that can be resolved to anyone's satisfaction, particularly when we don't have historical data because the war never happened. We simply don't know how the chaos of battle would have played out.

If the game abstracts weapon data to conform to the abstract terrain, and to produce results the combat model says should be produced (a solution I'm not really opposed to, frankly), you will have the inevitable problems of "but it COULD have happened" and "the data says XXX, but you only do YYY." If you use more physically possible or probably weapon data, but still have an abstracted terrain model, yeah, you get more instances of "ideal" circumstances than you would probably get in reality. And if you manage to have accurate data and accurate terrain...oh, wait, no one has accurate terrain at this scale, largely because it's probably freakin' impossible.

I guess it depends on how you want your poison. I'm happy with the long range engagements we do get, as they were technically possible and don't happen all the time, even if they do happen more often than perhaps they should. I'd be ok too with abstracting the data towards an average that would either make accuracy at range less or put a hard cap at, say, 3km. As long as the game is balanced for whichever approach, I can live with the abstractions. But right now it seems ok.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

I'll just say this, NATO wouldn't have been creating weapons systems with ranges of 4-5-6-7-8km if they didn't think they could use them at that range. Did they think they could always use them at that range? Of course not.

I don't know what study you found that says NATO didn't intend on engaging at long ranges. That was the plan. The Soviet plan was to keep that from happening. Sometimes either side would have imposed it's will and got what they wanted.

NATO wants to engage at 4km.

Soviets want to engage at 1km.

Average Engagement range is 2.5km.

That works out.

I've been over most of the ground that the 3rd AD fights over in this game. There are lots of places where you can see 5 or 6km with no problems. In southern Germany, well that's different. Very short ranges down there. North German Plain, very different again. You can see forever up there.

One of the ways the Soviets intended on restricting NATO LOS was with smoke. Again, they wouldn't have gone to all the trouble to develop and deploy all that smoke if they thought the terrain alone would have restricted the engagement ranges.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
wodin

Post by wodin »

MR it was nothing to do with them deciding not to engage at longe range in Germany. I didn't say that was the reason it was NATO's findings after analysis during wargames that the max range Tank Combat was happening was around 1800m due to the terrain. Obviously in flat desert like terrain you want long range..but this is to do with fact that the TERRAIN restricted range. It was rare that you could see out further than 1800m. They where trying to engage at the longest range possible I presume and in Germany on the ground they where or would be fighting over it would have been around 1800m..or so their after battle analysis told them.

Sorry if I haven't explained this properly.

Edit: Tracking down where I got this info..I told this by one of two people I know but can't remember which..both sources are very trust worthy though.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The difference here is in the term of average and max. If you could see that NATO report I think you would find the word used would be average engagement range of 1800m not max.

I never saw or heard of anything like that. I was involved in a lot of wargaming in the Army and never heard that low a number.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Will find out where I got it from..but it wasn't average I'm sure..as we were at the time discussing a similar issue as here. It really doesn't surprise me though. Even in the UK which is similar terrain it's rare you'll get an unobstructed view further than 2miles out esp on flat terrain. Most land is farm land..and Farm land is divided up usually with hedges or walls..these will block LOS. The you'll have wooded areas..followed by villages, towns and cities. Only if your on terrain that overlooks your view will you have long distance LOS. Things like the Russian steppes and Dessert warfare long range engagements will come into their own..but to me 2000m or less engagement sounds right for NWE.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Here you go...

Got this info from Scot over at HPS who also served in the Army in the eighties. He also said this "Generally 1500-2000 meters was the expected max DF engagement range in Europe and Korea due to terrain . IIRC, that's even one reason why they initially went with the 105mm gun in the M1; they figured it was good out to about 1500-2000 meters with decent lethality against Soviet armor of the time, so it was "good enough" for what they intended to tank to do (kill advacing Soviet tanks in Central Europe). As the Soviets updated they went with the 120mm to maintain lethality out to that range (and to standardize with the Germans). "

The whole article in the first Link is worth reading..but a fair bit is mentioned about terrain on page 35 they call it Intervisiblity (page 35 of the manuscript not the pdf reader)

LINK TO US ARMY RESEARCH THESIS makes for good reading, obviously it's from 1979 BUT it mainly talks abou he terrain being an issue rather than weather etc

This time just a discussion about ranges and how again due to terrrain the rnage for tnak combat would in 89 be similar to WW2 ranges

The trouble is if you tried to model this ino the game players will wonder why their Tanks aren't firing across five or more clear hexes. This is the problem with abstract terrain as I mentioned and hi def wargames\simulations.
22sec

Post by 22sec »

There are plenty of photos available on Google Earth of the lovely German countryside, and many show vistas with great line of sights out past two kilometers.
Flashpoint Campaigns Contributor
https://twitter.com/22sec2
76mm

Post by 76mm »

wodin, haven't had time to read the report yet (and haven't spent much time in Germany in 20 years!) but I also don't know about that number. the thing is that much of germany is fairly hilly, and where there are hills there is potential for long LoS. Sure, the LoS is broken up by forest, towns, etc. but there would often be a long-range shot where vehicles crested a hill, etc. (after which they might disappear again behind a village, etc.).
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

NATO wants to engage at 4km.

Soviets want to engage at 1km.

Average Engagement range is 2.5km.

That works out.

I've been over most of the ground that the 3rd AD fights over in this game. There are lots of places where you can see 5 or 6km with no problems. In southern Germany, well that's different. Very short ranges down there. North German Plain, very different again. You can see forever up there.

This sounds about right. Again I'd be interested in seeing the design considerations, and Capn Darwin mentioned having all this explained in better detail after 2.02 is wrapped up.

Something else folks need to understand is this is not a game about individual weapon ballistics. It is at platoon scale so it's a group of weapons firing at a group of targets, so there's a lot of fudging involved for lines of sight and rates of fire, etc. That's fine, as long as the design assumptions are consistently applied to both sides, where essentially NATO has an advantage at engaging at longer ranges and Soviets want to get up close and personal.

MR, spot on about southern Germany. 1AD GDP in northern Bavaria was dicey. The Fichtelgebirge near Bayreuth wasn't called "Little Switzerland" for nothing. As more scenarios are developed with different terrain, players will start to see the natural strengths and weaknesses of both sides.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
british exil

Post by british exil »

I live in Germany, to be precise in the was what called the British sector. The part of Stadthagen where I live is on a hill, on clear days I can see about 30km. I can see a powerplant with bare eyes 30kmaway. Now if i were to use binoculars or something similar I would be able to see even clearer. Maybe an amoured coloum creating dust?

Just north of Stadthagen is where the flat northern countyside is. They say that on a Wednesday you can see who is coming to visit you on the weekend. You can see so far.

Southeast of Stadthagen 1 1/2 hrs travel are the Harz mountains, very hilly terrain that goes right down towards Fulda, not ideal tank country.

This is the area where the BAOR were to hold the line. From the Harz to the area where I live. Munster and Celle two major tank areas, heavy tanks in fact were stationed here. Bundeswehr and BAOR. I think they knew why. My dad used to call it Panzer country.

I live 1/2 from Hameln and Rinteln. So the terrain can change fast, after 1 hr travel from hilly to flat.

Long range but also short range would be needed.

Mat

The countryside has not really changed in the last 20-30 years in the least.
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
killkess

Post by killkess »

I iust want to contribute to this topic.

Studies of the geografic institute of the german armed forced which took place around 1980 came to the following conclusion:

55% of all LOS distances would lie at under 500m
45% would be over 500m
only 17% of all LOS would be greater than 1500m
only 10% would be over 2000m
only 5% would be over 2500m

Source: "Gefechtsfeld Mitteleuropa"; Franz Uhle-Wettler
What is interesting to note is that areas with inherent very short ranges like the "Schwarzwald, Harz or Rhurgebiet" were already skipped to get more realistic results.

And in the region where i live in lower saxony (Lüneburg south east of Hamburg) LOS distances of more than 1km is the exception.
TigerTC

Post by TigerTC »

ORIGINAL: killkess

I iust want to contribute to this topic.

Studies of the geografic institute of the german armed forced which took place around 1980 came to the following conclusion:

55% of all LOS distances would lie at under 500m
45% would be over 500m
only 17% of all LOS would be greater than 1500m
only 10% would be over 2000m
only 5% would be over 2500m

Source: "Gefechtsfeld Mitteleuropa"; Franz Uhle-Wettler
What is interesting to note is that areas with inherent very short ranges like the "Schwarzwald, Harz or Rhurgebiet" were already skipped to get more realistic results.

And in the region where i live in lower saxony (Lüneburg south east of Hamburg) LOS distances of more than 1km is the exception.

Which is why, when playing as NATO, I look for that 5% long-range engagement areas.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yeah but in game it's more than 5% terrain are I reckon that offers greater than 5 hex view..maybe more than 10% great than four hex and I'd say you get more than 17% greater than three aswell. I mean look at that just under half the engagements would be over 500m..thats one hex..prob kill the game abit that though, but still we are well off that figure.
GrumpyMel

Post by GrumpyMel »

I can't say for the modern tank stuff, but I know in WWII the majority of infantry combat and infantry kills was supposed to have occured at under 100 yds. So the small arms spec's don't seem off. Not like there would be a huge difference in accuracy of those weapons. The M1 Rifle and Springfield 1918 are very accurate weapons but firing them while you are taking live fire would be completely different then what you could do at a range. So those spec's, at least seem pretty reasonable.
wodin

Post by wodin »

@Grumpyme It's not about accuracy it's about long distance engagement ranges and how the real life terrain on average restricts you to below 2000m..so nothing to do with the weapons but to do with the terrain.
MikeAP

Post by MikeAP »

@Grumpyme It's not about accuracy it's about long distance engagement ranges and how the real life terrain on average restricts you to below 2000m..so nothing to do with the weapons but to do with the terrain.

No offense, but I think you have been missing the point this entire thread... Or maybe I'm not making myself clear. I'm not talking about terrain, but the technical effective range of real word weapon ranges in comparison to the game values.

You are hijacking the thread

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”