Simple Interface Questions

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Lingering Frey

Simple Interface Questions

Post by Lingering Frey »

Hi all. I wasn't a beta tester, so I'm still struggling with the interface.

Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to scroll the global map by moving the mouse to the edge of my monitor?

Moving the mouse pointer to precisely the edge of the window (and only if coming from a direction inside the window) is too fiddly for comfortable map movement.

Also, am I missing a way to open a global mini-map I can click on to move the Global Map view to a location? (I know there is the city/sea zone list I can click on, but that is limited and it re-zooms the map, forcing me to go into the menu to zoom out again a couple times.)
Erik Rutins

RE: Simple Interface Questions

Post by Erik Rutins »

Scroll wheel and Shift-Scroll Wheel work well for me.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Lingering Frey

Hi all. I wasn't a beta tester, so I'm still struggling with the interface.

Is there a setting I can change that will allow me to scroll the global map by moving the mouse to the edge of my monitor?

Moving the mouse pointer to precisely the edge of the window (and only if coming from a direction inside the window) is too fiddly for comfortable map movement.

Also, am I missing a way to open a global mini-map I can click on to move the Global Map view to a location? (I know there is the city/sea zone list I can click on, but that is limited and it re-zooms the map, forcing me to go into the menu to zoom out again a couple times.)
Ctrl-G toggles the global map on/off. Clicking on a sea area on the global map center the detailed map on the sea area. Clicking on a land hex, center the detailed map on that hex.

Ctrl-Left Arrow moves the detailed map one 'page' to the right. And the same for the other arrow keys.

Check out the Keyboard and Mouse Commands Help page for a lot more shortcuts.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
rapidfire2013

Post by rapidfire2013 »

Tester for 2 months only, i don't know all the combined key and have a large screen that i can see full europe on zoom 3 readable but i can suggest you to take few minutes to read menu Help: keyboard and mouse commands and also menu Help: Unit status to understand all colors markers in software after you will save time
For the zoom i hope you go directly on zoom bar, it's faster
When i start i didn't read those two help menu and waist time and moving my unit one by one from same hex instead of CTRL + Click etc...

Attachments
zoom4.jpg
zoom4.jpg (153.51 KiB) Viewed 80 times
okiemcguire

Post by okiemcguire »

Either Ctrl-G or the Menu option (Menu > View > Toggle Global Map On/Off). Once displayed, all displays can be dragged around on the screen and placed so that you can take full advantage of you screen space. Like many window displays, click on the displays top bar and hold the mouse button down to the display around. You can also resize and roll them up and down.

I see I was to slow to respond...
"Robur Ex Vigilantia," meaning "In Vigilance is Strength"

Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

Can you spread the screens across two monitors?
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Ingtar

Can you spread the screens across two monitors?
You can use two monitors, or 3, or 4.

But if you are asking whether the detailed map can be expanded to exceed the width of the widest monitor, then the answer is no.

On the other hand, you can create multiple detailed maps. In one of the videos I show 12 - for viewing all the sea areas comprising the Atlantic Ocean.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
BlackStarWizard

Post by BlackStarWizard »

Awesome. Question - will the interface graphics be moddable?
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

It appears from an above post that you use the mouse scroll wheel in this game to move the map when in a lot of other titles the scroll wheel is used to zoom the map. I do see the zoom bar in the above example. Is there another way to zoom? Also, is it possible to change the scroll wheel to zoom? It appears that you are going to use the zoom feature a lot in this game.
Thank you.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Besides learning the different ways to scroll, you should take some time and learn about Map Views and Screen Layouts. The first allows you to define - for each major power - a list of geographic areas, each at it's own zoom level, which are most likely to be of interest while playing. Clicking their name centers the map there. Screen Layouts allow you to define where all the game windows will appear and are very useful when using multiple monitors.
Paul
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

Thanks for all the tips.

Shift-Scroll Wheel is perfect for my tastes. It feels natural to use, so thank you for that one.

And Control-G is my new friend, thanks Steve.

Ingtar

Post by Ingtar »

Cool. If I can set up my main monitor with the map and much of the associated detail on another screen, I finally have a reason to hook up the second monitor. :)

Return to “World in Flames”