A Modest Proposal

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

aspqrz02

A Modest Proposal

Post by aspqrz02 »

Has anyone thought through the Physical Copy issue?

Seems not.

If you really really really REALLY don't want the Physical Manuals, and if you are really really really REALLY concerned about the shipping costs to where you live, and really really really REALLY don't want unexpected charges for customs, excise, vat or whatever ...

Order the d**m thing and give a bogus US shipping address.

Cost of shipping will be minimal. Whoever tries to deliver it either a) won't be able to or b) will leave it ... wherever ... and the people at that address won't care ... with the result that ... it disappears, effectively, as far as you are concerned.

I *suppose* that it might eventually be returned to sender ... which is then Matrix's problem ... and may make them reconsider (or bring the evidence to ADG to make them reconsider) whether there should be a Digital only version.

You, however, will have your PDF manuals on your tablet/kindle/ipad and your digital download on your multiple screen computer layout and won't have had to pay excessive postage, customs and hairdressing fees. [:D]

Simple solution which sends a message to those who have come up with this ... less than welcome ... idea ...

Me? I ordered the whole shebang. Since I was expecting c. $150, the cost is a bit more than that including Fedex shipping ... even though Fedex Australia are the most insufferably incompetent couriers I have ever had the displeasure of having to deal with and, usually, won't deal with anyone who insists on using them. This once I will make an exception.

But for those who really really really REALLY don't want the physical shipment, there is a solution!

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
----------------------------------------------
Email: aspqrz@tpg.com.au
Cataphract88

RE: A Modest Proposal

Post by Cataphract88 »

Fiendishly clever
Richard
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Since we can't avoid the charge for delivery, I got a guy in America to PM me his address so that I could purchase the game with a (comparatively) piffling $9 postal charge. He can sell the books if he wants them. Better not to waste them. Bad karma dude![:D]

I've been waiting for 10 years+ to buy this game. Now it's downloaded and installed on my computer just in time for the weekend. And it looks awesome!
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Or maybe the publisher could just offer a digital-only version like every other game I've bought in the last ten years?

Your suggestion is probably workable albeit rather bizarre, although I could do it if I were just dying to get this game, but the problem is I'm not dying to get it. I wouldn't mind trying it out but am not willing to jump through a bunch of hoops to get it. There are lots of other things I can do with my time and money.

I don't really care that much either way but am really puzzled by you people who are so patronizing towards those who only want digital downloads.
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

I'm sorry, what gave you the idea that I am patronizing you or, indeed, those who have good reason for not wanting a physical shipment whose actual shipping and non-game related costs could well come close to equalling the price of the game itself?

I perfectly understand, and my suggestion was offered as a serious solution ... one that does away with all but a minimal additional impost ($9, I believe someone mentioned, for shipping to a US address) ... and, better, it sends a message ... if enough people do this, presumably Matrix and ADG will get the message that the 21st century is upon us.

I made a personal decision that I don't mind a printed manual, or even the lack of an AI, even though I could well have implemented my own suggested scheme if I didn't feel that way and felt more as you do ... and accept that yours is a perfectly valid and eminently understandable decision.

I'd go further and say that I simply cannot understand the thinking ... I won't say 'logic', as there seems to be none that is recognisable as such ... behind Matrix's decision to insist on a physical shipment when, even by their own claims, at least 60% of their customers have made it clear that they don't want such. Their stated reasons make no sense to me, in fact.

No intent to be patronizing at all.

Phil
Author, Space Opera (FGU); RBB #1 (FASA); Road to Armageddon; Farm, Forge and Steam; Orbis Mundi; Displaced (PGD)
BlackStarWizard

Post by BlackStarWizard »

Clever!

I still, however, need a way to avoid paying for the printed manuals that cost money and trees and that no one will use. The only winner there is the printing house that still gets paid, while the losers are me who pay for them and Matrix whose customer has less money to spend on more games.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

ORIGINAL: aspqrz
No intent to be patronizing at all.

Understood, sorry, I guess it was the "seems not" line which got me...

And I salute you for your proposal, which is probably a good one for all of the die-hard fans out there.

I expect to pick this game up sooner or later (via d/d!) so I'll try not to piss off the crowd too much.
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

The actual cost of the books is probably around $4-5 each, printing cost that is, maybe (probably) less, since it's evidently been done in Asia.

So, theoretically, a Digital only edition would only be about $15-20 cheaper ... or not, since CMANO is around the same price, probably less complex, and has only a small softcover manual.

I expect that a DD only edition would only be $10 cheaper ... not enough to get worked up over.

TYMMV of course!

Phil
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi everyone,

When getting creative, please just keep in mind that each copy is intended and licensed for one customer.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

I expect that a DD only edition would only be $10 cheaper ... not enough to get worked up over.

well, $10 plus $50-$100 for shipping for some of us.
CheerfullyInsane

Post by CheerfullyInsane »

aspqrz (or Phil if you prefer),

You sir, are a fiendishly clever man. [:D]
I had actually crossed this game off my wish-list due to the logic (or lack of same) of the enforced physical copy, but this is an ingenious work-around.
Plenty of online US friends, and I'm sure I can talk one of them into divulging their addy.
Thanks for that little tip. [:)]

ORIGINAL: 76mm

well, $10 plus $50-$100 for shipping for some of us.

Indeed. I don't mind paying extra for books I don't get.
I do mind paying FedEx and my local tax-office for stuff I don't want.
"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

Don't worry, I've gotten a lot of funny looks (and into not a bit of trouble, of sorts) for coming up with these sorts of off the wall ideas over the years.
Must be years of playing (pen and paper) role playing games, I guess ... they encourage you to come up with new, unexpected, and outrageous ways to p*** off the GM (if I'm a player) or keep the PCs on their toes (if I'm GMing).

Also worked perfectly against some managerialist idiots I've had the displeasure of having to deal with over the years, though ... they could never quite see that you could adhere to the letter of their, generally stupid, 'innovations', while basically ignoring them (the innovations - unfortunately idiots are harder to ignore completely [X(]).

This is merely the latest in a long line of such deviltry [X(][;)]

Phil
aspqrz02

Post by aspqrz02 »

I'm not suggesting any double dipping. Presumably the purchaser of the game will have downloaded it and already registered it, so anyone getting the shipment would get joy only from the books ...

Phil
CheerfullyInsane

I'm not suggesting any double dipping. Presumably the purchaser of the game will have downloaded it and already registered it, so anyone getting the shipment would get joy only from the books ...

Phil

Even better, the recipient of the books can sell them on eBay where one of the WIF fans can get a hold of it at a seriously decreased cost.
Everybody wins.
"Something is always wrong, Baldrick. The fact that I'm not a millionaire aristocrat with the sexual capacity of a rutting rhino is a constant niggle"
- Edmund Blackadder
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Just FYI - the DVD is included inside the cover of the books.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
CheerfullyInsane

But presumably the registration key isn't, so the disk would be useless.
Or am I missing something?
- Edmund Blackadder
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Serial number is printed on the DVD. Let's move further discussion to this thread please:

tm.asp?m=3444898&mpage=3
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “World in Flames”