SO As I understand it

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Twotribes

SO As I understand it

Post by Twotribes »

If I buy this game I won't understand how to play it till the books arrive? I never played the board game.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
niclasil

RE: SO As I understand it

Post by niclasil »

The manuals are included in the downloadable version as well. PDFs. Also alot of videos and training tutorials. And you can ask here on the forums if there's anything that's unclear.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I play War In Europe but never could get into Pride of nation, what do you think, would I play this game, playing both sides is no problem with war in Europe.
Eastern1

Post by Eastern1 »

I read there is NO AI opponent in this game, only play online against other players ??
We would spend a lot of time learning if this is the truth, and go on our face a lot !!
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Most likely I would play solitaire against myself.
niclasil

Post by niclasil »

Solitaire is a good way of learning the rules. Learning how to play is another matter :) If you've never played World in Flames before, be prepared to spend alot of time on the rules. The program luckily helps you out, you don't have to calculate supply and odds etc, but it can still be a handful. If you like ww2 tactical and strategic games however, this is the pinnacle of games.
wodin

Post by wodin »

If the manuals are in PDF I still don't get why they don't sell a download version only..makes no sense. More copies would eb sold. I wouldn't buy it because I don't want the chance of it being stopped by customs and having a huge fee to pay..as it goes by the price of the item and I got charged £10 for an £18 pound item (granted £2 customs fee and £8 Royal mail charge), and then there was Command Ops wich was a £30 fee!. Havign a download only version stops this worry and I would buy the game.

Maesphil74

Post by Maesphil74 »

If I understand correctly, ADG have not allowed a download version only. (somebody here mentioned this and on grogdheads as well I believe).
Which is understandable from their point of view off course.

The reasons I'm not buying:
-No AI at release. Don't want to have 'scheduled' free time. If I want to play a pc game, I just want to be able to fire it up at whatever time I like too. I don't want to make a scheduled appointment with somebody I don't know in Rumania i/o to play. Feels more like work then play :)

-Only physical shipping from the USA. No way I'm buying a computer game without knowing the final price. I ordered several boardgames in the US on which I paid VAT+duty. No problem, that's a 35 euro purchase with an +/- 10 euro extra charge.
I 'm not going to buy a PC game with pdf manuals for 100+ euro and then receive a phone call from the clearing agent in Brussels that I have to pay an additional 40 euro for somehting I don't want/need (the manuals). And then next year see the AI on sale for another 40 euros with another manual being shipped for 35 euros.
In light of the (unforeseen) European warehouse closing, It would have been nice of Matrix to reconsider the physical only method (at least to Europe). Europeans are paying a lot of more money and some of them for something they don't want...
edit: And in fact no European customer that bought the game yesterday, knows for a fact how much the game will cost.
[X(] I sure hope some of them don't have a nasty surprise next week...

I really was interested in this game, but sorry, no way for me (at the moment).

According to this site, you cannot do anything with the downloaded game for the moment as nobody has had their bound manuals delivered. Silly.
Or if you can allready start playing, then why no download only option? Silly.

But hey, in a way I saved a lot of money [:D]

I'll see what the reviews say, wait for the AI and then make a new evaluation.
Fingers crossed that the European warehouse is open by then.
Or that the manuals have been sold out so they can only sell download only [:'(]
Phil
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

If I buy this game I won't understand how to play it till the books arrive? I never played the board game.

I never played the boardgame either. The interactive tutorials are pretty good; I was going through several of those last night. There's a lot to digest, but a lot of additional chrome is included in the optional rules which you don't have to play with to start out and learn some basics. This game is going to be like a good "sipping" whiskey...
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer

Return to “World in Flames”