A Question

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

kvob

A Question

Post by kvob »

I have never played WIF but always fancied trying it (no space, no opponent being the reasons for not indulging). I'm not that interested in playing over the net so would need an AI opponent.

I had all but ruled myself out of buying this until I saw the very reasonable price for this product. Now I'm thinking about it.

So, here's my question: If I were to buy now (playing solitaire until AI is developed) would the AI be incorporated at a later date? Would I have to buy a new copy? (If yes then, obviously I'd have to wait for an AI version).

Or would I have to buy an AI patch which would then update my existing copy? (kind of like Rise Of Prussia Gold?)

Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere and thanks in advance.

Tjalfe

RE: A Question

Post by Tjalfe »

The plan is to offer an expansion with the AI that you will have to purchase.

Cheers
kvob

Post by kvob »

Thanks. An expansion means I can buy now and I'm on holiday all next week.

Sounds like a plan[:)]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I wonder if there is a precedent for developing even a rudimentary AI for a game this complex. WitE has a pretty good AI, but WiF with 80 rules variations. The "Seven Moments of Wows" post really blew me away:

tm.asp?m=3412066

jomni

Post by jomni »

Problem with board game conversions is that it's got some stuff that only a human brain can process. Very difficult to program an A I. It is different case for a computer game made from scratch as the rules are tailored to fit the Ai programmers capabilities.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

When the AI is ready, it will be provided as an update to this product. The specifics remain to be determined, but WIF was designed with an AI in mind and a lot of work has already been done on it, so with any luck we'll be delivering one and everyone who purchases WIF now will have the option to add it in to their existing game.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

I know you don't know the timeline yet for release of the AI, but are we talking about more than a year? A few months? Multiple years? Just a very rough ballpark, please, will give us a bit of hope.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Our best guess right now is about a year, but it depends on how much time is required for post-release support and the implementation of PBEM, both of which are priority-wise ahead of AI right now. Either way, customers who have the current release will have the option to add it in once it's ready.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

I know you don't know the timeline yet for release of the AI, but are we talking about more than a year? A few months? Multiple years? Just a very rough ballpark, please, will give us a bit of hope.
I am the best person to ask, and I am a very poor judge of these things. I originally thought I could get MWIF out the door in 1 year. It took 8 years and 4 months.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Until release day, I knew nothing about WiF, but thought: no AI then no buy. But it may be one of the very few computer games that will give an enjoyable solitaire experience because of all the options, etc. The solitaire Barbarossa AAR looked fun to me, and that's just scratching the surface.

By the time I learn the game there will be pbem anyway. What is attracting me is the years (decades?) of polishing the board game got. The system is a proven entity. On the other hand, Empire in Arms was one of the most disappointing purchases I ever made. But WiF seems far and above EiA.
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Until release day, I knew nothing about WiF, but thought: no AI then no buy. But it may be one of the very few computer games that will give an enjoyable solitaire experience because of all the options, etc. The solitaire Barbarossa AAR looked fun to me, and that's just scratching the surface.

By the time I learn the game there will be pbem anyway. What is attracting me is the years (decades?) of polishing the board game got. The system is a proven entity. On the other hand, Empire in Arms was one of the most disappointing purchases I ever made. But WiF seems far and above EiA.

I never got EiA the computer game but almost caved in a coupe of times. I have played EiA on the table and think it is a terrific game. I assume you are talking about EiA the computer game. If so, what was disappointing to you about it as I get a twitch from time to time about it.
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

EiA the computer game was very disappointing because it was incredibly buggy.

Constant game disrupting bugs.

The coders didn't even understand how the game really worked. (They wanted to leave tactical maximum ratings out of the game! That was one of the key elements of the commander system!)

Even now it still has game disrupting bugs. (You can't lend $ between major powers for example it just disappears.)

There's some hope that the programmer is back working on another patch, but even now it is a broken game. Maybe it'll be worth the money I spent on it if they patch it yet again.

Not what I'm experiencing so far with WiF!
kvob

Post by kvob »

Just looked at the cost of postage/tax for the UK and got one hell of a shock. I know there's nothing Matrix can do about this so I'm not here to complain (just to ask another question or two)......When the European distribution arm is up and running again, will WIF be available from there? And more importantly, will postage be cheaper than it is currently shipping from the States?

Return to “World in Flames”