So where are the players?

Post requests for head to head play here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

jomni

So where are the players?

Post by jomni »

This game is multilayer only so I would expect to see some activity here. Given that this is a ghost town at the moment, what are the you guys doing? Reading the manual? Playing with yourselves?

By the way, is there a matchmaking tool inside the software?

My decision on buying or not depends on how active the community is.
Zorachus99

RE: So where are the players?

Post by Zorachus99 »

The game used to be face to face, and takes a lot of interaction to play. You often get to do things to ruin your enemies plans during their phase, primarily with air units.

I'll be playing on Saturday Morning I'm sure ;)

I poked at it this evening when I had time, and had started a learner's 5-turn Barbarossa game against myself to familiarize myself with the UI.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Lingering Frey

Post by Lingering Frey »

Personally, I'm working on learning the interface. I spent several hours last night just trying to set up a few countries in a solo game. For me, World in Flames is the most rewarding wargame ever made. It is not a multi-player FPS game with servers overloaded on day one of launch or even a typical computer strategy game from Matrix. If you purchase the game, I have no doubt you will find thoughtful people looking to find an opponent. (multiple people on each side was promised soon.)

I anticipate a HUGE caveat to that though. Unlike most multiplayer online games, playing a game of WiF against someone is not a transient experience. When it comes to personal interaction playing WiF is more like a Role-Playing Game campaign than a Panzer General type game with matchmaking; it is a real time commitment. You don't necessarily need to only play against friends, but clashing personality types will cause games to stop before they really get started. (Probably after many hours just setting up and beginning a game.)

alexvand

Post by alexvand »

I'm busy learning the interface and running a solo game. I intend to run multiple solo games before I seek out any players.

That will take a couple of months to do.

Don't be surprised this is a ghost town right now. We're all busy learning the game. Just watching the tutorial videos will take a couple of hours, and people new to this game will really want to do that.

Then you need to read the manual, review all the charts......

Tons of fun! I love it!
gridley

Post by gridley »

I think this will be a busy place soon as well. I may be a little longer getting here...busy season for me at work. Others will be here shortly, I'm sure.

Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

I was wondering the same. I have been beta testing for a bit now and now have the game. :) I would be interested in attempting to begin a game. Preferably Global War with many options on. I think it would be beneficial to both parties in learning against someone. -5 GMT.
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
ulysisgrunt

Post by ulysisgrunt »

I can see that this will require a great commitment in time. I'm a really old grognard started playing Tactics II in 1961. As I am now retired; I can play this.....
Once I've mastered a few turns myself.
Danny Weitz

La Quinta California
What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

No worse than playing WitP.
Snydly

Post by Snydly »

I think you will find ... most of us are getting used to the game again after a long hiatus. I will need a month or two before I challenge another player online. [:D]

Looking forward to playing my favorite board game WIF on the computer.
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

I will wait with playing a fellow human as opponent until I have learned all the essentials and after a load of solitaire games. I have the odd feeling that rushing into online play too early and thus risk getting a "bloody nose" each time will ruin it for me in the long run.

This game needs time, time to play and time to learn.
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Isn't it best to learn while playing against a human?
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

This game is a tall order. A Newbie has a lot to learn. On top of that, skill has to be developed at using the UI. Once those are mastered, then one can challenge another intellect.

...snatch the grasshopper from my hand...
Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

ulysisgrunt - I PM you about arranging a match.
goulash

Post by goulash »

Just to let you all know, I am new thus I am available to play in errrrrrm 2 years time for a novice game [:D]

Seriously, as soon as I feel I have learned enough to play, I would not mind setting up a multiplayer game and seriously hope someone makes one of those online clubs specifically for this game.

jomni

Post by jomni »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

This game is a tall order. A Newbie has a lot to learn. On top of that, skill has to be developed at using the UI. Once those are mastered, then one can challenge another intellect.

...snatch the grasshopper from my hand...

So you spent countless hours to learn the game and maybe not even taking on a real opponent or at least finish a whole global war. Then you get distracted when a new game gets released. Very nice game indeed.
keyser soze

Post by keyser soze »

ORIGINAL: jomni

This game is multilayer only so I would expect to see some activity here. Given that this is a ghost town at the moment, what are the you guys doing? Reading the manual? Playing with yourselves?

What did you expect? Game has no AI and no PBEM. It can be the best WWII game of all time but with no PBEM option it is a crap.
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

anyone know what netplay is? Does it allow eg 2x2
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Rekm41

Post by Rekm41 »

It is currently only able to have 2 playing. One Axis one Allies.
Eradanfaroth

Post by Eradanfaroth »

ORIGINAL: jomni

There is a matchmaking tool inside the software, sort of a dedicated forum with a grid to complete to post a research of opponent. This dedicated forum allow you to launch netplay too.
jomni

Post by jomni »

Good to know.

Update: I bought the game already.

Return to “Opponents Wanted”