World in Flames Takes Over!

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Erik Rutins

World in Flames Takes Over!

Post by Erik Rutins »

The digital version of the biggest board wargame ever is finally here!

There are things in life that sometimes border on perfection and we simply cannot believe they can get better. In the wargaming market, there is a boardgame that in many ways can be referenced as THE Wargame, thanks to its scope, its realism, the passion of the massive community that plays it and the keen and accurate design: World in Flames.
There is perhaps only one challenge – finding the space, time and an opponent to play it with!

After a decade of development by a team that is devoted to World in Flames and has spared no effort to bring it accurately and faithfully to the computer, Matrix Games, along with Australian Design Group (www.a-d-g.com.au), is going to introduce you to a whole new way of playing World in Flames with the release of the long-awaited computer version!

However, World in Flames for the computer is not just for computer wargamers! The game is only available in physical format and includes three Hardbound Full Color reference volumes and an optional Map Pack. The hardbound volumes are as follows:
  • Player's Manual Vol. 1 & Vol 2 (They cover the interface and gameplay of the officially licensed Matrix Games World in Flames computer game forming a complete reference on how to play the game). These are full color hardbound manuals totaling 552 pages, more comprehensive than any game manual we've done in the past!
  • The Rules as Coded (it follows the structure of the World in Flames as Written, providing a complete reference of the WiF rules as implemented in the officially licensed computer game. Players can also use this as a rule book for tabletop play). This is also a full color hardbound volume totaling 192 pages and is an invaluable reference which gives you the entire combined Rules as Coded at your fingertips for computer or tabletop play.
The optional Map Pack is the global consistent scale and tabletop-playable WIF map!
  • Players for the first time can purchase an entire new set of full color WiF maps at 90 kilometers per hex (70,200 hexes)! The maps are identical to the in-game maps in look and match the hex scale of the board game maps so that they are entirely playable on the table top. These are the first global contiguous WIF maps to date! All at the same consistent scale, they cover the entire Globe in 24 sections printed in full-color heavy stock gloss paper. You can use the sections separately or connect them for the full global map. Total size of the map is height 9ft (2.7 meters) and lenght 21ft (6.4 meters). That's nearly 200 square feet of map!
There are thousands of units with quantified historical capabilities from 250 countries with 8 major powers. World in Flames is a detailed simulation of all of World War II and the interactions between land, sea, and air forces on a global scale.

If you are eager to see how the game looks, we have posted on this Forum Page a collection of pictures featuring the Books and the Maps, plus a 3D rendering of the complete World Map. Also you can enjoy the “Seven Moments of Wow” to have an inside look at the game, get some hints and find out more about it.

The v1.0.1 at release Update is also available. It includes a number of Bug and Crash fixes, Updated write-ups for many units, and fixes an issue that could cause synch problems in NetPlay.

Check below for the full change list:

Rules Changes

• Disabled saving a game during the Retreat and Advance After Combat subphases.
• Removed the ability to set Disabled Phases during NetPlay games and eliminated the in-game checks for disabled phases during NetPlay games. This applies to CAP subphases too. Using these features during a NetPlay game could easily result in the two computers processing the sequence of play differently.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed a problem in air-to-air combat where a fatal error could occur at the start of the combat.
• Removed the button for changing the date for the end of game when the help message about that optional rule was accessed from the Start New Game form.
• Modified the code for moving naval units so if Ctrl-Left-Click is executed in a hex in the sea area from which the naval units started their move, then the move is canceled. This is how a simple Left-Click is processed.
• Fixed a problem with breaking down a corps/army unit with the rule for unlimited division OFF, so the corps/army unit now goes into the Force Pool instead of the BreakDown Pool.
• Fixed a problem with the Defensive HQ Support phase so it is no longer potentially skipped when the defending HQ unit is in the attacked hex.
• Added a check for at least half of the attacking land units being snow units when using the 1D10 land CRT, before asking whether to use the benefit of snow units. This is because there is no benefit on the 1D10 unless half or more of the attacking units are snow units. Nor is the question asked if all the attacking units are snow units. Instead the benefit is automatically given since the only penalty for using the benefit is having to take the first loss with a snow unit.
• Fixed a problem where the two subphases for deciding whether to use snow units were being skipped.
• Fixed a problem in the Land Combat Resolution phase where it was possible that the Disorganize button would disappear when a unit still needed to be selected.
• Fixed a problem in the Land Combat Resolution phase where Shattered units might not be removed from the map.
• Fixed a problem with using the radio buttons to select which saved game to restore caused a fatal error trying to restore the saved game. The problem would occur when players had used Windows to turn off displaying file extensions.
• Fixed a problem in the Land Combat Resolution phase where units that were suppose to retreat might have remained in the attacked hex.

User Interface

• Made some edits to the Optional Rules Help file. The most important change was clarifying the Extended Game optional rule.
• Updated the land and naval unit writeups with the latest from Robert Jenkins, Adam Scott, and Eric Piatyszek. These updates will only be apparent in games started with version 1.0.1 or later.
• Fixed a problem with returning naval units to base, where an image of the naval units remained partially visible in their starting sea area section box after they returned to base.

To download the update, players can run “Check for Update” via the game menu or on the game’s download page.

So don’t miss this chance: be part of a milestone in Wargaming History by playing Matrix Games’ World in Flames!

Get more information on World in Flames from its official product page.

About World in Flames

World in Flames is Matrix Games’ computer version of Australian Design Group’s classic board game. Covering both the European and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II, World in Flames is global in scope while simulating each branch of service in detail. Land units are corps and army level, supplemented with specialized divisions. Naval units include individual counters for every carrier, battleship, cruiser, and light cruiser in the war. Using 1000+ unique bitmapped images, air units represent groups of 250 to 500 airplanes. With 6000+ unique units, 250+ countries, and a global map of 70,200 hexes, World in Flames is the premier World War II grand strategy game.

All 11 scenarios from Australian Design Group’s World in Flames Final Edition are included, and they range from the small 5 turn Barbarossa offensive in Russia and the 5 turn Guadalcanal battle in the Pacific, through to the 36 turn Global War campaign which spans all of Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia, the Atlantic, and the Pacific. You can play either the Axis or the Allied side or take the role of one of the 8 major powers. Besides solitaire and head-to-head, you can play over the Internet with two players (one per side).

In addition to the full set of rules from World in Flames, Final Edition, there are 64 optional rules. Australian Design Group’s expansion module Ships in Flames is incorporated into the basic game, but the inclusion of other expansion modules, such as Planes in Flames, Carrier Planes in Flames, Cruisers in Flames, and Convoys in Flames depends on which optional rules are selected.

This simulation models national production from conveying raw resources to factories using rail lines and overseas pipelines for producing infantry, armor, naval, and air combat units. Because oil was so important during World War II, there are separate optional rules for synthetic oil plants and deployment of oil reserves to the front lines.

Game units represent armies and corps, aircraft carriers, naval task forces, and air groups that took part in World War II. Everything you need to re-fight the greatest conflict in history is provided in World in Flames. Two players make the strategic decisions that decide the fate of nations. What forces to produce, where to commit them, when and how? No two games of World in Flames play the same, no strategy is foolproof, any decision may have unforeseen, long-term consequences.

If you want to change the world then World in Flames is for you.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Greyshaft

RE: World in Flames Takes Over!

Post by Greyshaft »

I'm happy as a dog with two ummm... two tails to see MWiF move out of the 'Coming Soon and in Development' section of the Forum and into the 'New Releases' section.

C'moooooon FedEx!!! Gimme dem manuals.
/Greyshaft
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Congrats to Matrix and especially Steve for getting this one out the door.
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Kudos to all those involved. I can't think of a game that has gotten more grief from the fanbase :)

Excellent work.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

$99 for a game with no ai? you've got to be kidding me all these years for nothing. This is the computer age with computer ai's. Games without ai's will never sell. Only to a die hard or hard head in denial. I was interested in it but not without an ai. I can play the board game in place of that and I don't have to shell out $99 either. Glad you finally released it though, but, no ai, I just can't believe that.
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

$99 for a game with no ai? you've got to be kidding me all these years for nothing. This is the computer age with computer ai's. Games without ai's will never sell. Only to a die hard or hard head in denial. I was interested in it but not without an ai. I can play the board game in place of that and I don't have to shell out $99 either. Glad you finally released it though, but, no ai, I just can't believe that.
This is not exactly news. It's been known for a year. Also, this is lot more convenient and fast to play than the board game. No rule checking, calculations, forgetting units etc. An AI is in development though.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Zorachus99

Post by Zorachus99 »

Those of us familiar with the board game, have spent literally thousands on counters, maps, and more counters.

Hours to complete a game? 150-250

Value? Excellent.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
AbwehrX

Post by AbwehrX »

An AI is completely unnecessary and utterly defeats the purpose of this simulation. No need to accommodate amateurs. Between the boardgame version, the Vassal version and now the Matrix version, World in Flames is almost complete. [:D]
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

An AI is completely unnecessary and utterly defeats the purpose of this simulation. No need to accommodate amateurs. Between the boardgame version, the Vassal version and now the Matrix version, World in Flames is almost complete. [:D]

I wonder if Erik should use that as the advertising slogan for MWiF, "No need to accommodate amateurs." In business classes we discussed some of the advertising lines that destroyed companies. This could be a new unit in the text book.

Do you (in general) really think that bringing this up again and stirring the flames (pun!) is going to help? I was going to get the game on Wednesday, but this attitude makes me think long and hard about putting my wallet away. We should be able to discuss the game, etc., as a (dysfunctional?) family but these snide insults really make me want to keep that credit card safe and sound. I am an amateur. Guess I should just hit the road?

Thanks goodness I just got Flashpoint and it will keep me busy for a while.

Y'all have fun!
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Arnir

I wonder if Erik should use that as the advertising slogan for MWiF, "No need to accommodate amateurs." In business classes we discussed some of the advertising lines that destroyed companies. This could be a new unit in the text book.

Do you (in general) really think that bringing this up again and stirring the flames (pun!) is going to help? I was going to get the game on Wednesday, but this attitude makes me think long and hard about putting my wallet away. We should be able to discuss the game, etc., as a (dysfunctional?) family but these snide insults really make me want to keep that credit card safe and sound. I am an amateur. Guess I should just hit the road?

Y'all have fun!
Actually, everyone is/was an amateur at some point. And some kind person helped them get started in understanding the game design/system. And more people helped them out along the way as they played the game for days, months, years. And they are going to get even more help learning to play the game using MWIF instead of over the board.

I put a ton of effort into making the game accessible to new players. It was one of the two overriding principles that I lived by in coding MWIF. The other being to remain true to the board game rules et al.

The tutorial videos (soon to be available on YouTube), the 20 other tutorials, the 700 pages of Players Manuals, and the 350 individual in-game help 'messages' (some of which are multiple pages) were all created for someone just like you.

To bring the joy of the game to players interested in World War II and via the game let them ponder what they would do when faced with the difficult decisions made by national leaders, generals, and admirals. That's my goal.

You will find hundreds of players quite willing to help you learn and enjoy MWIF, as demonstrated by the threads in the subforums AAR reports and WIF School.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

ORIGINAL: Arnir

Y'all have fun!
Actually, everyone is/was an amateur at some point. And some kind person helped them get started in understanding the game design/system. And more people helped them out along the way as they played the game for days, months, years. And they are going to get even more help learning to play the game using MWIF instead of over the board.

I put a ton of effort into making the game accessible to new players. It was one of the two overriding principles that I lived by in coding MWIF. The other being to remain true to the board game rules et al.

The tutorial videos (soon to be available on YouTube), the 20 other tutorials, the 700 pages of Players Manuals, and the 350 individual in-game help 'messages' (some of which are multiple pages) were all created for someone just like you.

To bring the joy of the game to players interested in World War II and via the game let them ponder what they would do when faced with the difficult decisions made by national leaders, generals, and admirals. That's my goal.

You will find hundreds of players quite willing to help you learn and enjoy MWIF, as demonstrated by the threads in the subforums AAR reports and WIF School.

Hey, Thanks for the support. I own the board game but haven't played it since 1992 at least. I do wonder sometimes if it will just be too overwhelming. Most of the folks here are pretty helpful and I do appreciate the interaction with folks like you, Steve. The love y'all put into this is quite obvious.
juopa

Post by juopa »

quote: "$99 for a game with no ai?"

well, you can buy commander series games with AI and then realize that the only sensible way of playing strategy or even tactical games is with real opponent. AI as good as it is, typically just gets better when it gets advantage of getting more resources than is actually the intention of the game...

But anyways, I didn't see a topic of "first impressions" so please for give me of writing few words.

As a background, I have been playing one game as board game earlier (~5 years ago) so I had some knowledge of the rules. First I was thinking should I read the rules (RAC) or start from the 1st rule book, which I did. Now after approx. 60+ pages I needed to start to try the game with laptop (17") and then laptop + TV (46") as extra screen. I'm still a bit thinking should I just start to play all the tutorials or read the manuals all through first. Or maybe try to convince my brother to take one "practice" board game with wif without all the expansions before starting the total onslaught :D

But all in all, this game gives so much with the price that it comes. Just compare some playstation or some other video game with price of 60€ that you have interest of playing 5+ or maybe even 20+ hours.

Thanks Steve for all the work to get this game published!

Return to “World in Flames”