Is this too big of a game for the casual player?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Dr. Foo

Is this too big of a game for the casual player?

Post by Dr. Foo »

I am intrigued by this game and it's the type of PC game I've been waiting for, but I don't have the time to read huge detailed manuals or take on a steep learning curve.

For example, War in the Pacific is too much for me. I own it, I played it for a few months and then dropped it. There was too much book keeping for my taste, long AI turns and too complex for my enjoyment.

War in the East is OK, it's a big game, but not too big to be fun. Time of Wrath is easy to learn but I find that it's too abstract, I like more realism. War in Europe is another game I can easily get into and have no problem playing, The Operational Art of war is easy for me as well.

Any idea where this game will fall? Is it more on the highly complex side like War in the Pacific or nearer to War in the East? Of course, it could be a completely different animal all together.

Thank you for your time...the game looks amazing I cannot wait to read some ARR's.
*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*
Zorachus99

RE: Is this too big of a game for the casual player?

Post by Zorachus99 »

The best way to learn this game is online with another person there to explain. Concepts are simple, rules are lengthy due to rules lawyers.

Can you learn to play by yourself, I would suspect so. Certainly easier than WITP.
Most men can survive adversity, the true test of a man's character is power. -Abraham Lincoln
Kanov

Post by Kanov »

I'm intrigued too but I see you're much better prepared.

My biggest strategic game was Hearts of Iron 2 and I gather that is like the easiest of games.
Hard-core Spectre
sanderz

Post by sanderz »

hopefully someone will do some lets plays and/or live streams :)
composer99

Post by composer99 »

The short learning scenarios, especially if optional rules are kept to a minimum, are in my view very easy to pick up, especially compared to full-scale wargames.

Some recent (if seemingly stalled) AARs can be found here for the 1939 global scenario and here for the 1944 global scenario.
~ Composer99
JLPOWELL

Post by JLPOWELL »

Its a completely different animal. No where near as much micro detail as War in the Pacific, but still pretty huge. The scenarios are much more playable, particularly Barbarossa. This game very closely matches the board game experience IMO (Been beta testing since March & played the board game 20 years ago) As with the board game the impulses / turns have quite a bit of complexity, but do flow well. Testing netplay on two machines playing solo I have run thru most of Barbarossa in a weekend (not playing constantly by any means), Global war would take quite a bit longer.

There is a huge amount of help content included, video tutorials and the manual are pretty extensive. Its going to take a few hours to get up to speed to play for most people.
"Don’t you think that if I were wrong, I’d know it?"
DSWargamer

Post by DSWargamer »

Is it too big of a game? Well 9x21 feet is a bit large :)

If you have no problem with WitE, I can't fathom you having a problem with WiF.

You might have a problem wanting to play WitE after getting Wif, but that is about the limit I think.

I don't think anything past Gary's World at War should be considered casual though.
I have too many too complicated wargames, and not enough sufficiently interested non wargamer friends.
alexvand

Post by alexvand »

ORIGINAL: Dr. Foo

but I don't have the time to read huge detailed manuals or take on a steep learning curve.

This game is not for you.

It's not a game, it's a lifestyle.
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Thanks all...while I do think overall it might be too big, the smaller scenarios sound interesting enough and I have been waiting forever for a game like this. I like the idea of playing with an experienced player and reading the ARR's is a great way to learn some advanced game concepts. Maybe I can find another noob and we will stumble through it together.

Overall, I think this is a buy. Many thanks for the input!
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Good luck, Dr. Foo. For what it's worth, I've learned MWIF entirely by playing solitaire, reading the manuals, and asking other beta-testers for help. I haven't played anyone else yet, but I feel like I have a good handle on the game system -- even if I'm a long way from being a competent strategist.
ByronBond

Post by ByronBond »

Dr Foo -

I have the Barbarossa scenario of the printed game set up on my game table now, teaching myself the game and pushing cardboard around. I'm an experienced gamer, and find that the concepts of the game are straightforward - which does not mean 'easy', but conceptually and logically direct. There are a lot of details however, so there will be quite a bit of thumbing the rulebook back and forth as you learn.

I want MWiF to be successful, so hope you buy a copy, but here are two other options for you. The current rules (only) for the boardgame are available as a free downlaod at the ADG site - you could download them and get a feel for what you are leaping into. Also, basic editions of WiF Classic Final Edition show up on eBay quite often, and can be purchased for around $50 (US). You could buy the cardboard and paper, push it around a a bit, and then buy the Matrix edition. For my learning style, I like doing it this way so I can learn the game separate from learning the interface. Of course, the published game does NOT have a massive 9x21 foot paper map...!
bo

Post by bo »

Doctor Foo I have to agree with Grotius 110% with one exception I never read a manual or an in game rule, I have browsed through the optional rules though. The optional rules can change this game from day to night depending on the ones you use.

I never saw the game or played it before I became a beta tester a year ago. It took me a couple of weeks to become comfortable with the interface which I found to be one of the most important parts of the game.

I am not bragging about not reading the rules but it does go to show you if Bo can play the game anyone can [:(] I tried to do the AAR's from what I picked up in Beta testing.
One of them Steve has moved to the front page call Poland which is now on page 2 , the other one is called Battle of the Coral sea which might be on page 6 and air and sea demos on page 4, I tried to explain them in laymans terms or terms that even I could understand.

Bo
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Short answer- No.

Much easier and more intuitive than WitP imo.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Hokum

Post by Hokum »

WiF is much, much easier to learn than witp.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Hi Dr. Foo,

If you start with the smaller scenarios, it is easier to learn and play than WITP. The entire global game though is a different story, but you can build up to that.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Can this game be played solitaire on one machine? With me playing all sides? I got the impression from the description of netplay on multiple machines that you could not play this game by yourself on one machine.

I hope this is not the case, and the game is playable solitaire on your PC.
markb50k

Post by markb50k »

yes, you can play solitaire. Confirmed.
FroBodine

Post by FroBodine »

Great news. So, how does solitaire play work, then? Is it integrated into the game, so you just make all sides/countries involved a human player? Then when it's the next turn, you just play it? Or do you have to do some kludgy workaround to trick the game into thinking multiple players are playing online?

I am just hoping for an easy to set up and play, fully integrated solitaire solution.

Thanks!
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: jglazier

Great news. So, how does solitaire play work, then? Is it integrated into the game, so you just make all sides/countries involved a human player? Then when it's the next turn, you just play it? Or do you have to do some kludgy workaround to trick the game into thinking multiple players are playing online?

I am just hoping for an easy to set up and play, fully integrated solitaire solution.

Thanks!
It's totally easy. You just select "Solitaire" and play every major power and their aligned minors.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
Dr. Foo

Post by Dr. Foo »

Downloading now...early birthday present to myself! [:)]

Return to “World in Flames”