Question regarding air bases.

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Kharkov43

Question regarding air bases.

Post by Kharkov43 »

My question is how close should I keep my air base attached to armor units. Army Group North has the 4th Panzer Group and attached to it is the 4P Air Base. Tks.
Balou

RE: Question regarding air bases.

Post by Balou »

If it's the "4th Pz airbase" it's good for recon only. No combat aircraft in army airbases.
“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

But it counts as an airbase for air supply so should be kept close to the front. That will also allow deeper penetration of Soviet air space for recon missions.
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

At least 6 hexes back , that is in comand range and you can only supply it with fuel within 5 hexes.

Basicly you want fuel to go to SS Totenkopf not to airbase .

As you push deaper into enemy teritory you can increase the distance to 15 hexes, so that the airbase can still supply itself .

morvael

Post by morvael »

I think carlkay58 meant that you can use this airbase as a "forward supply base" - keep it next (or in the same hex, but then use manual drop target selection) to the panzers, so that you can refuel them without losing most of the dropped fuel to air drop penalty (works correctly since .11).
Gabriel B.

Post by Gabriel B. »

And the Hq would not supply it's airbase during the logistics phase ?
my panzer airbases have a me-110 sqd, a fw 189 sqd + 3 or 4 hs 129 squadrons , that takes some 300 tons of fuel .
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, they would take fuel from HQ, but
1) you could drop fuel directly to the panzers, not the HQ
2) you could empty the airbase to use it solely in the role of "negative modifier nullifier" :)

Also, the army airbase is (should be) assigned to an army, and thus does not affect how are divisions supplied from their corps (unless they are attached to the army directly, but that's a bad idea).
Kharkov43

Post by Kharkov43 »

Thanks for the help I used army group norths armor group as a reference to all the armor groups. Started a game against computer and that was some good info Tks guys.

Return to “The War Room”