Introducing Myself

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cpt Sherwood

RE: Introducing Myself

Post by Cpt Sherwood »

I would also like to recommend Combat Reporter, found here tm.asp?m=2456864
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.” ― Lucius Annaeus Seneca
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

I can only second the praise given for the DBB mod and DBB team. [&o] Its a fantastic effort and I will never again be able to play the official unmodded game. [:)]
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ny59giants-

Appreciate the information regarding the DBB mod system, that the DBB Scenario 30 is stock Scenario 2, that the modified 'pwhex' files impose "stacking limits", and that Tracker is a useful tool. Thanx for the links.

Seems that darn "Learning Curve" just got steeper!

But, I think the DBB Scenario 30 with the "pwhex" files is the way to go. So, I'll run this information and the links by El Lobo.

-Terry
L/Cpl U.S.M.C., Ret.
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Capt Sherwood-

Thanx for the link for the "Combat Reporter." I'll take a look at that link too.

I'm going to have to hire a secretary to keep everything organized for me. Maybe she can call your secretary and we can do lunch one day.

*chuckling*

-Terry
L/Cpl. U.S.M.C., Ret.

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

JocMeister-

Thanx for your imput and recommendation regarding the DBB mod.

With the DBB Scenario 30, is the initial setup the same? I ask because so far I've been looking at the map, asset placements, and reinforcement schedules for the purposes of planning that horrendous first turn setup. The entire home is covered with sticky notes.

-Terry
L/Cpl. U.S.M.C., Ret.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

RB - Shoot me your email address via PM and I'll increase the amount of paper in you home by giving you "information overload" by forwarding you some notes that I've created and/or done by 'copy & paste' from this forum. As an example for both sides, I have a Word document from a post by one of DBB's developers, Symon/JWE (John), that covers the different type of engineers. You have construction, combat, shore party, and some that can do multiple jobs. I have another that list the characteristics your Leaders should prioritize depending on what they are leading (air, ships, land). You can have crappy leaders and they will make sure your combat is lousy. Lots of little things we have all learned here and will pass on to you.

Slightly OT - You need to make sure you have the latest official patch and then get the latest Beta (1123s). So many enhancements to make the game better.
[center]Image[/center]
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Late to this thread, but I recommend Scenario 2 for a beginning IJ player as I'm not too far removed from that newbie state myself. The "pilot tax" is higher even in the beginning and gets really bad later, but starting Japan as Scen 2 with the extra toys (ships, LCUs, some air units? mostly the LCUs and extra DDs) as well as the extra small stockpiles of Supply/Fuel at forward places like Cam Ranh Bay and Truk... that all makes the pilot tax worth it.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ny59giants-

Well, being an Eagles fan it makes it kinda tough writing to you and having to put that "nygiants" in there all the time.

I'd send you a pm, but for some reason I can't send a pm here. So, I'll just give you my email here: oneoltgoatroper@yahoo.com

I appreciate all the help you're offering to give me. I'm sure the more I can pay attention to details (like Leadership priorities) and learn how to properly do things to improve Leadership, pilot training, device replacements, etc.; the stronger the allies can become.

For example: I notice many ground units (particularly in China), are low on support. I'm not exactly sure how to get more support troops for them...I think maybe it has something to do with Base Forces? But, not sure.

Anyways, lots of questions and so many aircraft. *laughing*

Thanx for all your help!

-Terry
L/Cpl., U.S.M.C.; Ret.

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Lokasenna-

Ah, good. That's what I was thinking that Scenario 2 would help out El Lobo a bit more thereby hopefully giving us a closer match.

I've let him let El Lobo about this thread. I'm sure he'll be reviewing all the comments here soon and then he can decide which scenario he wants to play. He'll no doubt pick scenario 2 based on all the good imput here from skilled and experienced players.

I'm positive that El Lobo will also appreciate all the help, information, and advice all of you have posted in this thread.

Thanx!

-Terry
L/Cpl., U.S.M.C.; Ret.

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Just click on my user name, NY59Giants, and that allows a private PM via the forum. I'm sending you stuff now. Warm up your printer. [:D]

OT - Cribtop is a Cowboys fan AND a lawyer. [X(]
[center]Image[/center]
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Just click on my user name, NY59Giants, and that allows a private PM via the forum. I'm sending you stuff now. Warm up your printer. [:D]

Bet he was near suicidal over my Chief's whooping on on his 'boys!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Bet he was near suicidal over my Chief's whooping on on his 'boys!

*just laughing*

PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

We try not to hold that against him (the cowboy thing) but it's a heavy cross to bear. The whole lawyer thing, well that's different! [:D]
Pax
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

We try not to hold that against him (the cowboy thing) but it's a heavy cross to bear. The whole lawyer thing, well that's different! [:D]

PaxMondo-

Hey now!

Lawyers are the most wonderful people: sensitive, loving, caring, considerate, compassionate, and loyal.

Most are Eagles fans.

Not sure how cribtop strayed off the good path to be a Cowboy's fan. He should be tarred and feathered!

*laughing*

-Terry
L/Cpl, U.S.M.C.; Ret.

richlove

Post by richlove »

Rio Bravo, welcome aboard! In addition to the excellent recommendations for Combat Reporter and Tracker, I'd suggest you invest some time into a tool to help you track and plan your moves, and to remind you to do stuff. I use OmniOutliner, but Excel, OneNote, or any good text editor should suffice. You'll have to figure out how to best use the tool to match your playing style. It beats post-it notes [:)].
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: richlove

Rio Bravo, welcome aboard! In addition to the excellent recommendations for Combat Reporter and Tracker, I'd suggest you invest some time into a tool to help you track and plan your moves, and to remind you to do stuff. I use OmniOutliner, but Excel, OneNote, or any good text editor should suffice. You'll have to figure out how to best use the tool to match your playing style. It beats post-it notes [:)].

richlove-

Thanx for the welcome.

Good advice. One of these days I hope to organize all those damn sticky notes. Not sure how to do that just yet. I need a secretary.

*laughing*

Regards,

-Rio Bravo
L/Cpl., U.S.M.C.; Ret.

richlove

Post by richlove »

Admiral Nimitz frowns upon post it notes!

[:D]

Attachments
chesternimitz.jpg
chesternimitz.jpg (45.65 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: richlove

Admiral Nimitz frowns upon post it notes!

[:D]

*laughing hard*

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

Fooey!

I like post it notes. I use them for WITP-AE all the time. As a result, it is one of the few activities in my life that is actually organized! The family can starve, the mortgage lapse and the lawn remain uncut -- but I damn well know that TF224 is supposed to go to Pago Pago on a resupply run.

So there!

Regards,
Feltan
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Feltan

Fooey!

I like post it notes. I use them for WITP-AE all the time. As a result, it is one of the few activities in my life that is actually organized! The family can starve, the mortgage lapse and the lawn remain uncut -- but I damn well know that TF224 is supposed to go to Pago Pago on a resupply run.

So there!

Regards,
Feltan

*busting up*

Return to “The War Room”