Google Street View can now take you on a tour inside a naval submarine

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Temple

Post by Temple »

Here's an interesting Engadget article:

Ever wonder what it's like to wander the narrow corridors of a 50-year-old Oberon-class British submarine? Well, you can now embark on a digital tour of the HMS Ocelot via Street View, which has become the first submersible to be fully documented by Google. Even without its backpack-worn trekker units, the company has mapped-out the Ocelot's complex control room, restricted sleeping quarters and even its six torpedo tubes, which have thankfully been out of service for more than 20 years. It also lets you take a tour of the dockyard from which the submarine was launched. Hit up Google Street View to begin your personal guided tour, just be sure to mind your head when navigating those hatches.
smudge56

RE: Google Street View can now take you on a tour inside a naval submarine

Post by smudge56 »

Mmmm interesting.
AKA - Smudge
CassioM

Post by CassioM »

Great iniciative! Two thumbs up to Google.

I visited a submarine of same model here in Brazil. The old S-22 Riachuelo who is currently serving as a museum in Rio de Janeiro.

Although old, it is a formidable machine.

But, I have a dream.

I would like to visit a Los Angeles-class. But unfortunately, I believe that it is impossible for a foreign citizen like me to get inside these subs.

# excuse my poor english #
Temple

Post by Temple »

ORIGINAL: CassioM
I would like to visit a Los Angeles-class. But unfortunately, I believe that it is impossible for a foreign citizen like me to get inside these subs.
I think it might be more of a case of not letting any civilians on active subs except in special situations. However, back a long, long, <sigh> long time ago I got to visit onboard a couple of subs, including an SSBN, because my father was a ship's pilot. One of the subs was the USS Scorpion, just before it deployed to the Med for the last time.
CassioM

Post by CassioM »

Hello temple.

I think it must have been terrible for you when u learned what happened to the Scorpion after you've visited it.

Well. I understand the reasons preventing civilians from visiting ative subs.

Anyway, I hope one day to visit the Nautilus in Groton and even, that Foxtrot in San Diego.

Thanks for the explanations, friend.

# excuse my poor english #

ultradave

Post by ultradave »

I worked at Electric Boat before taking early retirement. The Nautilus museum is very much worth a visit. It's free, thanks to the US Navy and a fundraising effort by the people of Connecticut.

You can tour the forward compartment with a telephone looking device that plays continuous loop recordings in each area. The forward end has been fixed up like it's ready to go to see tomorrow.

The museum itself has many exhibits on submarines, concentrating on US. Great place to visit.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”