Kharkov '43 now ready for beta-testing

Post discussions and advice on TOAW scenario design here.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

PRUSSIAN TOM

RE: Kharkov '43 now ready for beta-testing

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

Round one of Kharkov '43 went to Elmer. [:@] As the Soviets, my goal was to advance aggressively, but maintain a decent logistics base, so that I would be ready for the inevitable German counter-offensive. I took Belgrod ahead of time, getting 10 extra VP's. [:D] My troops were closing on Kharkov, and by turn 15 I had stomped most of the Germans to the east of that city, surrounding and pocketing them by the thousands! A see-saw battle for control of the city was going in my favor, and the dreaded SS Panzers were being wiped out by the scores. The fight in the south was going well. My casualties were only slightly greater that the German's (I was VERY pleased with the attrition ratio; by turn 20, I had lost about 10% more troops than the PO.

Then I remembered something disquieting...I was counting casualties in terms of UNITS, and recall that a Russian Corps was about the size of a German DIVISION. Hmmm.... [:-] I still had lots of troops holding strong defensive positions, and was still advancing; most of the German troops were fleeing west, pursued by my T34's. I was kicking serious ass, and (as I had (unwisely) told Herr Oberst, "I did NOT read the scenario dump, because I want to see how it felt with the same level information the historical commander had." (As an avid WW2 buff, I am quite familiar with accounts the historical battle). The Russians outran they supply net, and when their troops were reaching the "culmination point," the got bushwhacked by a huge batch of fresh German Panzer troops. A classic reversal, due to Russian arrogance. Somehow, I overlooked the fact that it is 2013, and this is a simulation of what occurred in 1943! [:-] I was avoiding THAT mistake, and would certainly prevail.

Unfortunately, I overlooked the German's famously good staff work; they took flexability and maneuver to new heights in their counteroffensive.

Things happened pretty quickly after that...more Panzers that could possibly exist came at me from all sides (well, from the west, the German side of the line). They chopped up my troops (who were celebrating their glorious victory a bit prematurely, swilling all the vodka they could get the hands on....

Not a career-enhancing performance...I was transferred to Siberia, and am counting moose chips. I'm better off than my men, who are either dead, or POW's.

I had so much fun with this scenario, that I am burning the midnight oil, having another whack at it as Ivan! [:D] It may still be in beta-testing, but it is a blast to play, and an excellent learning tool. Getting smashed to bits is a great way to see what you did wrong; I hope to give Fritz a bit of a surprise this time. Kudos to Herr Oberst for a most excellent scenario. I have been glued to my PC for the better part of 72 hours now. [&o][&o][&o]!!!
There is no difference in ideology between the (American) Democrat & Republican Parties...only different special interest groups. They have one thing in common...self interest.
PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

Round 2 has the Russians, older & wiser, doing a bit better...[:)]. I am paying a LOT more attention to unit status, supply, readiness... and the results (so far) are impressive. I'm only 10 turns or so alson, so things are still getting going. It is, as always, a wild, fun ride.[:D]
There is no difference in ideology between the (American) Democrat & Republican Parties...only different special interest groups. They have one thing in common...self interest.
Morshead

Post by Morshead »

I'm also onto it Herr Oberst. Very impressed with your efforts and your band of support troops!
Morshead

Post by Morshead »

Turns 1 - to 4 - I hope this is beneficial Herr Oberst -

Turn 1 ¡V Soviet assaults make sense, with the PO acting to push back the most exposed German units. I break off engagement where possible ¡V using field-ersatz battalions as cannon-fodder to allow more capable units a retreat path [Q1 ¡V should these break? I say yes, but it does seem an advantage]. I place my HS129¡¦s on interdiction and pull back Ju-87¡¦s to Dnepropetrovsk. GD, and Das Reich are pulled-back toward Belgorod. [Q2 ¡V Is GR Regiment Langemark deliberately denoted via a ¡§Recon¡¨ unit icon?] The Hungarian units will hopefully be of some use holding ¡§quiet sectors¡¨ in a few turns. They are being evacuated across the Donets if they can outrun the Russkis. In the south 7th Panzer will break into a main-force headed for Lozovaya and a separate Kampfgruppe that will act to hold 1st Panzer Army¡¦s lines of comms and supply open by defending the Artemovsk area and its associated road net. So-far so good.
T2 ¡V The Axis player moves into phasing player (interesting question ¡V does this make sense given the Soviet¡¦s appear to have the initiative at the start of this campaign? I believe the original Lima scenario did the same thing ¡V perhaps for good reason). Taking this opportunity I simply move my forces out of harms-way as best I can since I have been gifted an opportunity to outrun the Soviet advance units. My plan is to start to form robust defences where I want to defend, and limited switch-lines where I am comfortable conceding ground.
„X 7th Pz ¡V continues its concentration at Lozovaya ¡V moving by rail.
„X 298 & 320th Inf ¡V pull back towards Izyum
„X 382 FA ¡V moved to cover Slavyansk
„X GD, Das Reich, 168 Inf ¡V and the Hungarians make a fairly safe getaway across the Donets untroubled by Soviet interdiction or forces
„X 1SS moves up to Krasnograd ¡V some by rail ¡V others have to drive as my rail capacity is exhausted. This transport limitation feels well-modelled.
„X 213 SEC ¡V moves to cover the Donets bridges east of Kharkov
„X Luftwaffe assets are either resting (J-87) or on interdiction.
PO duly pushes the Soviets forward ¡V where they brush with 382 FA both north and south of Veremovka. South of Slavyansk they smash a hapless Turkish battalion - as expected - and look to cross the minor river at Kramatorsk. In the north they are unable to chase-down even the slowest units still rushing for the Donets.
T3 ¡V Realigning German dispositions continues ¡V basically running for the Donets and building up its defence ¡V along with strong fortified defence at Belgorod manned by SSDR. Ongoing moves as per T2. Concentration XL Pz Corps on Lozovaya (7, 19, 27 Pz Divs) and forming-up XLVIII at Orelka (3Pz en-route). Small battlegroups from 27 and 3 Pz are left behind to hold-open Artemovsk ¡V Gorlovka ¡V which may be inadequate for the task.
PO strikes hard toward Izyum, and Slavyansk, and is starting to mince the 382nd FA Div. Popov Tank Brigade overruns and destroys the 617 GR III quite easily. 382 FA is not properly dug-in. 320th holds quite well in front of Izyum, which shows the benefits of digging in and holding behind the as-yet unfrozen water-courses. In the north Soviet units continue to push forward ¡V but still can¡¦t catch the coat-tails of the retreating Germans. [Q3 - In a PBEM ¡V I wonder if this is consistent given what happens with the German player gaining effectively 2-turn move advantage when playing the PO?]
T4 - With the restricted area north of Belgorod removed I am immediately taking advantage by moving up SS Wiking to occupy what I assume are Soviet 40th-Army entry hexes ¡V and their supply point. I will eventually move only infantry into this position and redeploy Wiking for other more sinister purposes [Q4 ¡V this seems a bit too easy versus what I recall of the historic situation? i.e. I thought the Germans had to initially evacuate Belgorod under great pressure whereas I am turning it into a well-defended fortress under virtually no pressure].
PO finally reaches the Donest at Belgorod, Volchansk, and Chugayev to the east of Kharkov. At all sites the bridges are blown and German units hold the far bank. In the south Russian units make every effort to reach the brides at Izyum, but are held-up just shy of the town by the final Wehrmacht units holding a minor bridgehead to the east of the town. These units have struggled to make their way to the Izyum crossing site. Furtehr south in the Slavyansk-Kramatorsk sector the Popov group creates havoc in the poorly deployed infantry division lines.
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Morsehead, I presume it's the version I sent/linked to you a few weeks ago? I am NEARLY done with the implementation of Telumar''s awesome collection of TO&E for all Pz.Div. during the late 42 and early 43 time period. I guess you and Tom should play the next version, done by Saturday, aye?

On a side-note: NO BRIDGE destructions ;)

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Morshead

Post by Morshead »

Sorry Herr Oberst, I saw the comments about 'latest version' appended above and downloaded from here. I'm a klutz at the best of times. Don't expect me to know what I am doing with computers as well as with battles raging. I'll await your orders, and yes if the Prussian Tom wants to road-test your masterpiece I will happily oblige.

PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

I will get wiped out, as I am still suffering as the Russians from overconfidence, due to how much fun the game is. Better use of the recon units and engineers needs to be added to the to do list. I need to wait until Saturday, (surgical procedure Friday). Very minor. "You bet, I can pop out 1 turn/day, unless you see an RIP notice late Friday..." Possible medical SNAFU [X(] . Final reply Saturday. I have been playing Soviet's, but will take either side. I will be easy meat. I forgot the "E-mail" feature, will send mine after posting...must be the . [:D]
PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

Ready to rock! Kudos to Oberst Klink, not only for an excellent scenario, but for helping a TAOW-challenged person install new graphics (I can see the roads a LOT better). Probably start within 12 hours, time for a power nap.
PRUSSIAN TOM

Post by PRUSSIAN TOM »

Back on track...Turn 5 w/Morshead. VS PO, took Kharkov on time...got bonus points for Kharkov & Belogrod. [:D]

Return to “Scenario Design”