[DONE] New scenario for testing: Stag Yellow (1969)

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Mgellis

[DONE] New scenario for testing: Stag Yellow (1969)

Post by Mgellis »

This is my first attempt at a full-blown carrier battle group scenario for Command. Basically, the Coral Sea and its group must destroy a target in Peru, get on station and remain there for a certain amount of time, and deal with a couple of surprises. I don't know if this is ready for "release," but I think it is pretty close. I would be grateful for any feedback people can offer. Thanks!

By the way, if anyone ever needs to know the carrier air wings for the 1960s or 1970s, here is a useful web site...

http://www.gonavy.jp/AirWingsf.html

(ATTN: Most recent version uploaded 4:30 on 11/6/13...the .zip file includes an .ini file so the scenario can be rebuilt properly with weapons in the carrier's hanger, etc. if the database changes sufficiently to require a deep rebuild.)

Attachments
Stag Yellow (1969).zip
(107.61 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
MR_BURNS2

RE: New scenario for testing: Stag Yellow (1969)

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

Looking into it, Neutrals is a playable side!
Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

billk111

Post by billk111 »

For some reason I cannot get this scenario to run, all I get is the world screen, nothing else.
Any ideas why?
jpkoester1

Post by jpkoester1 »

Sounds like symptoms previously described when scenario and database version don't match. Maybe the scen author has used one of the beta builds with an updated DB to build the scenario so you wouldn't have the relevant database installed.

Regards,
JP
"I cna tyep 300 wodrs per minuet"
billk111

Post by billk111 »

Thanks jpkoester1, wasn't sure what was wrong.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Revised version (Neutrals no longer playable side)...

(ATTN: File deleted because other updates were made...newest version is attached to edited version of original post in thread)
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

So...what do people think? Any other comments or suggestions? Is it ready for "official release" or does it still need work? Thanks in advance.

MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

It looks pretty good, i enjoy it. My gunless F-4s sometimes have a hard time because i take ROE serious for immersions sake. Will do more testing.

Btw. the enemy sub is emitting radar, send it to a deeper depth to make sure it stops.
Windows 7 64; Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz; 6144MB RAM; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970;

billk111

Post by billk111 »

Sound good, just wish I could get it to run. Mgellis, what DB did you use and what build are you using.
MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

I really like the mission. It´s quite difficult, my F-4B are pretty stupid and their missiles Ph is very low which is probably fair enough for 1969 in thick clouds.

Were there no ASW choppers assigned to Coral Seas group at that time?

Edit: I just noticed that the Skipjacks magazine is empty, only the torps in the tubes, is this intended?

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: billk1

Sound good, just wish I could get it to run. Mgellis, what DB did you use and what build are you using.

I normally just use whatever is the most recent build available. So I'm using the most recent CWDB and Build 451 right now.

I hope this helps.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

ORIGINAL: MR_BURNS2

I really like the mission. It´s quite difficult, my F-4B are pretty stupid and their missiles Ph is very low which is probably fair enough for 1969 in thick clouds.

Were there no ASW choppers assigned to Coral Seas group at that time?

Edit: I just noticed that the Skipjacks magazine is empty, only the torps in the tubes, is this intended?

According to...

http://www.gonavy.jp/CVW-NLf.html

...the air wing at the time was...

(Last update on Dec.5, 2012)
CVW-15 (NL)
CVA-43 CORAL SEA
Sep.23, 1969 - Jul.1, 1970 (Vietnam War)
VF-151 Vigilantes F-4B
VF-161 Chargers F-4B
VA-82 Marauders A-7A
VA-86 Sidewinders A-7A
VA-35 Black Panthers A-6A
VFP-63 DET.43 Eyes of the Fleet RF-8G
VAQ-135 Black Ravens KA-3B/EKA-3B
VAW-116 Sun Kings E-2A
HC-1 DET.43 (*1) Pacific Fleet Angels UH-2C

...and it kind of surprised me too that there were no ASW choppers aboard. But apparently they didn't have any until 1971, when the UH-2s were replaced with SH-3s.

As for the submarine, however, no, that was just a mistake; I didn't know the magazines were empty. Thanks for catching that one.

MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

Very good, question is though, would the cruiser have a ASW chopper, a Seabat maybe, i have no idea what they used. But it doesn´t matter, the Skipjack can take care of that.
I think the order of battle is good the way it is, more peruvian naval assets might make it more interesting though.

You wont believe what sank one of my destroyers, 14.5mm fire, the culprit was within minimum range of my destroyer when it began...

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Very good, question is though, would the cruiser have a ASW chopper, a Seabat maybe, i have no idea what they used. But it doesn´t matter, the Skipjack can take care of that.
I think the order of battle is good the way it is, more peruvian naval assets might make it more interesting though.

You wont believe what sank one of my destroyers, 14.5mm fire, the culprit was within minimum range of my destroyer when it began...

Another good catch...one of the destroyers has a drone helicopter, a DASH, which has been added. Thanks!

As for what sank your destroyer...oh, yes, I believe you. It sank one of mine, too, when I was testing the scenario. :)
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I am posting a revised version of the scenario and deleting earlier versions...

I'm going to wait a day or two and let people try it out. After that, if people like it, and think it is ready, I will let Miguel know it can be included in the next scenario pack release (assuming, of course, he thinks it is good enough that it should be included).

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

Okay, it's been about a day since I posted the most recent update, so I'm guessing people think it is ready to go. Miguel, if you also think it's ready, please feel free to include Stag Yellow (1969) in the next release of the Community Scenario Pack. Thanks!
MR_BURNS2

Post by MR_BURNS2 »

It looks good, i have 2 more things for you to consider.

The torpedos in the sub can only target submarines, if you want to give the player a ASuW weapon you have to add Mk14.(Yes i fired 8 at a ship and nothing happened [:D])

The Radar in Peru has a very short range, their Air Defence would be more effective if you give them a radar with more range and earlier warning.

Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

It looks good, i have 2 more things for you to consider.

The torpedos in the sub can only target submarines, if you want to give the player a ASuW weapon you have to add Mk14.(Yes i fired 8 at a ship and nothing happened [:D])

The Radar in Peru has a very short range, their Air Defence would be more effective if you give them a radar with more range and earlier warning.

Good ideas. I will look into that.
Mgellis

Post by Mgellis »

I modified a few minor things (torpedoes, added a radar to the Peruvian side, tweaked magazines so the .ini file does not report errors anymore, etc.) and have uploaded the revised .zip file.

Tomcat84

Post by Tomcat84 »

Might be able to give it a run tomorrow. Will report if so. Not sure though.
My Scenarios and Tutorials for Command

(Scenarios focus on air-warfare :) )

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”