The Salvation War

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Kuokkanen

The Salvation War

Post by Kuokkanen »

WWW novel starting from here. According this page author should know something about military weapons and equipment. But is it really true what he writes about APG-79 radar and Type 2076? I recall reading that wood constructed aircrafts of North Korea are practically stealth planes becouse those don't give off radar signature, but in this story here APG-79 radars have spotted organic, living targets.
One Admiral had tried to describe its capability by saying a submarine in Winchester could use that sonar to track a bus going around Hyde Park Corner in London. That comparison wasn’t true, but the real capability of 2076 was a closely-guarded secret. Tracking buses at that range was child’s play compared with what it could really do.
Is this frak for real?

Could someone explain me term HVDUAPCFSDS? Is it variation of APFSDS? And why use that against organic target? Wouldn't HE splinter shell or HEAT be more effective against such target?

What do we think about russian politician quoting Putin in that situation? And how in the Hell did Secretary Gates even got to work in the White House when he says stupid things as he does in there? Even I could come up with other ways to say the same thing without getting kicked out: "I feel it to be my duty to point out that we haven't followed all the regulations in this incident. I recommend we'll take this situation more open mindedly, and if at all possible, try establish communications before taking any other aggressive actions."

Otherwise I'm really liking this story. Some of you can have fun with details of the military hardware and looking for possible mistakes author has made. So what do the rest of you think about it?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

RE: The Salvation War

Post by Kuokkanen »

Has anyone else in here started reading this yet? Maybe I should tell little more details about it... First I quote you TVtropes:
The Salvation War is a Web Original trilogy that premiered online in the beginning of 2008, asking a simple question: what if God announced that everyone's time was up, and that Satan was coming to claim the bodies and souls of everyone on earth?
The answer author Stuart Slade gives: the governments of the world declare war on Heaven and Hell.
Humans prepare for war with guns, missiles, tanks, and jet fighters. President Bush seems to be competent in his job and former president Bill Clinton gets to be badass of the week when he guns down demon succubus posing as human. But for the most part this is a war story. Sizeable demon army comes to Earth, and humans kick their asses with aircrafts, missiles, bombs, razor wire, mines, artillery & rocket barrages, and badassery of the main battle tanks. Author nails his point with this:
The question came up on SDN, what would happen if irrefutable proof came up that the whole human race was condemned to hell and always had been. That hope of salvation was a myth? The general consensus was tha humanity would fight, if for no other reason than its better to go down fighting than just lay down and die. Also, if they can interact with us, we must be able to interact with them - all we need to do is find out how. At that point, reading the thread, I got interested and started to think on how we would fight back (I'm a professional military analyst). Reading up on how daemons were supposed to fight and what they had to fight with, it resolved into "we can do that" , "we can do that", "they can't do that", "they wouldn't even understand how we did that". It quickly became apparent that daemons as described in the appropriate mythology don't stand a hope in hell against us. The phrase "hope in hell" set a light off in my head and so The Salvation War started. It caught on.
In my opinion he does pretty good job with his writing. What do the rest of you think?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Tons of serious crap hits the fan and drops in pot in this writing. But then are stuff like this:
“Our leader would like to speak with you. We will take you to him and then we must go outside. Do you need help?”

Dawkins relaxed. A little. “No, Rahab, I’m recovered now.” He turned to the two men. “I’m Richard Dawkins.”

“Good for you.” The fair-haired man grunted the words out.

“Don’t mind him. He’s always a bit irritable when Caesar’s alone. I’m Titus Pullo, he’s Lucius Vorenus.”

“The Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus?” Dawkins was stunned.

The big man laughed. “So, you’ve read Caesar’s book then. Spins a good yarn doesn’t he.”

“I’ve read the book, but you’re the stars of a television program as well.”

The big man looked confused. Rahab cut smoothly in. “Don’t worry Titus, none of us understand what he’s saying most of the time. He likes ants though, if you see any, take him to them. They’ll keep him happy for hours.”
Am I onlyone in this forum reading this?

MekWars
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Certainly looks like it. The quality of the story and writing is atrocious.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Becouse english isn't my native language, I might have overlooked those. Can you elaborate?

MekWars
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Gabriel-Lan was still at the table and still drunk. Over his shoulder, he could see that Lailah was approaching. She was dressed for work, black leather corset, fishnet tights, high-heeled boots. The outfit was modelled on Earth originals but had been modified to allow for angelic wings although Michael noted she had dyed her wing-feathers black to match the outfit. The dye had to be water-soluble he reflected, he knew for a fact she projected quite a different persona when attending Yahweh's court and jet black wings wouldn't suit it. Her appearance at court was a front, as was that of almost everybody who was a regular guest in this club.

"Why did you think the humans will….." Gabriel-Lan was interrupted by the crack of Lailah's riding crop smacking down across the table.

"You're drunk. Bad Archangel. Bad, bad archangel. What have I told you about getting drunk? How can you pay me proper respect if you're in this condition? And where's my tribute?"

"I'm sorry Mistress Lailah, I didn’t…"

"Stop making excuses. Follow me, I'm going to have to deal with you."

She led Gabriel-Lan away to one of the rooms upstairs, one that she had had carefully soundproofed. Michael-Lan watched their departure. It occurred to him that if he'd hooked Yahweh up with a good dominatrix a lot of millennia ago it would have saved the universes a lot of trouble. Still, the humans hadn't come up with the idea back then.
Call this story what you will, I'm still laughing my butt off here!

MekWars

Return to “General Discussion”