Matrixgames tax policy

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

milkweg

Matrixgames tax policy

Post by milkweg »

I see Matrixgames are now making Canucks pay tax. That Harpoon2 remake game would cost me $88.00+tax for just DD. WTF? Think I will just stick with my copy of Harpoon2. You will never see me pay that price for any game, ever. You are out of touch with the market and would make much more money by selling it for a low price than high. People have become millionaires overnight by just selling an app for $1.00 for iPads, if they sold at a high price they would still be penniless. Get with the program.

Anyway, I wanted to know if you collect 12% harmonized tax or just 5% GST? I think legally you only collect GST because you are outside of Canada but wanted to make sure. You know I can just buy from Slitherine/Gamersgate/Steam/GMG/Gamefly instead and pay zero tax, right?
IainMcNeil

RE: Matrixgames tax policy

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

nothing has changed re tax. Tax is set by your local tax authority and collected by Plimus and we don't know how much you pay or see the money pass through our account. We are not involved at all in setting it calculating it. We never have so if you are seeing something different then possibly the local tax rules have changed and if you see something you think is incorrect we'll take it up with Plimus for you.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

I won't know how much tax they collect until I actually make a purchase. If it is 12% then that over priced game would cost me $98.56. <Gulp!>

I have never been charged tax when you used DigitalRiver, or whatever they were named.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Yea it was there when they used DR, I can remember the threads griping about VAT charges.
milkweg

Post by milkweg »

That is UK, Canadians did not pay tax.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

I see Matrixgames are now making Canucks pay tax.

LOL

I didn't know Matrix's boss was Darth Vader! [8D]

"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

Realize as well there are differant taxes for each province.My province has no provincial tax,just GST federal tax.Is this taken into account?
Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: milkweg

I see Matrixgames are now making Canucks pay tax. That Harpoon2 remake game would cost me $88.00+tax for just DD. WTF? Think I will just stick with my copy of Harpoon2. You will never see me pay that price for any game, ever. You are out of touch with the market and would make much more money by selling it for a low price than high. People have become millionaires overnight by just selling an app for $1.00 for iPads, if they sold at a high price they would still be penniless. Get with the program.
They made simplistic apps with wide appeal, not complex wargames. Also, inflation.

Lack of demos is a big problem with these prices though.
wodin

Post by wodin »

This is an old argument...however it would be interesting to see what would happen if a Wargame came out for $1 and a fair bit of PR aswell. I wonder if people will just buy it cos It's so cheap they think they have a bargain and people buy things they don't need just because it's a bargain and most people will risk a $1. Maybe just maybe it would sell 100's of thousands of copies. A risky strategy to try out..but maybe...
histgamer

Post by histgamer »

More than 70% of iPad and iPhone apps are not even purchased 1 time so most developers are penny less also... just saying.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

How many times are we going to beat up pricing and taxes? [>:]
Tony
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

ORIGINAL: wodin

This is an old argument...however it would be interesting to see what would happen if a Wargame came out for $1 and a fair bit of PR aswell. I wonder if people will just buy it cos It's so cheap they think they have a bargain and people buy things they don't need just because it's a bargain and most people will risk a $1. Maybe just maybe it would sell 100's of thousands of copies. A risky strategy to try out..but maybe...

I don't think so. Nearly everybody owns a smartphone today and nearly every smartphone game is a bargain or even free (with in-app-purchases). Nevertheless, most of these titles don't create an appropriate revenue, even the publisher already has a larger customer base. Here is an interesting article:

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/guest-posts/erik-asmussen-pwn-combat-hacking-post-mortem/

Perturabo

Post by Perturabo »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Actually, most of mobile apps don't even bring in profit.
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

ORIGINAL: Treale

When they stop over charging us off for old games that have no support or patches.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

When they stop over charging us off for old games that have no support or patches.

Every company that manufactures anything eventually stops supporting old or obsolete products?
Tony
bairdlander2

Post by bairdlander2 »

All the arguements for and against have been made,for me its simple,charge a price they charged 5-10 years ago,no support or patches and I wont buy it.Its their loss.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

All the arguements for and against have been made,for me its simple,charge a price they charged 5-10 years ago,no support or patches and I wont buy it.Its their loss.

That's how you vote, with your money!!!
Tony
jerrystead

Post by jerrystead »

Bamm. Nailed it!
Jerry S.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Birmingham, AL
jerrystead

Post by jerrystead »

Every company that manufactures anything eventually stops supporting old or obsolete products?

Yep, and then they usually discount their games...
Jerry S.
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Birmingham, AL
radic202

Post by radic202 »

Your correct my friend, as a Canadian, I have never ever been charged taxes on Steam, Gamersgate, Gamefly and even my last Slitherine purchase had no taxes charged. I even purchased some Zen Coins from PerfectWorld for Neverwinter today and was not charged any taxes whatsoever.

Not sure about here now as I was going top purchase something this weekend................but that is an entire other story on an other thread.

If I ever see taxes charged to me on any future purchase to any of those sites, I will be sure to let you know. Thanks for the info my Canadian friend.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

Return to “General Discussion”