Doh!!! I "missed the bus" on this one

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Greyshaft

Doh!!! I "missed the bus" on this one

Post by Greyshaft »

I've been playing WiF for over 20 years and betatesting MWiF for quite a few of those years. This morning I listened to MWiF Tutorial One and heard Steve describe the "Missed the Bus" scenario as starting after the Fall of France. I immediately thought a mistake had slipped through the scriptwriters but then I discovered that the "Missed the Bus" scenario really does start after the Fall of France. That showed me two things:

a) Harry took liberties in naming that scenario since the "Missed the Bus" quote was originally uttered by Neville Chamberlain on 4th April 1940 while he was Prime Minister and BEFORE the Germans invaded France on May 10th...

[font="Times New Roman"]"The result was that when war did break out German preparations were far ahead of our own, and it was natural then to expect that the enemy would take advantage of his initial superiority to make an endeavour to overwhelm us and France before we had time to make good our deficiencies. Is it not a very extraordinary thing that no such attempt was made? Whatever may be the reason—whether it was that Hitler thought he might get away with what he had got without fighting for it, or whether it was that after all the preparations were not sufficiently complete—however, one thing is certain: he missed the bus."[/font]

b) I have never played that scenario.

We live and learn. Thanks for the education Steve.
/Greyshaft
Shannon V. OKeets

RE: Doh!!! I "missed the bus" on this one

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

I think the scenario is named for Germany not invading the United Kingdom after the Fall of France.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”