Optional Rules

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Missouri_Rebel

Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

World in Flames is a complex game covering a complex war. The Barbarossa scenario is the one where most new players cut their teeth learning the system because it involves only two major powers, lasts 5 game turns, and includes few, if any, naval operations. With a little effort anyone can pick up and play it. Winning is another matter. The larger scenarios introduce players to many more rules and circumstances.

Players can easily add depth, realism, and complexity by choosing Optional Rules. There are well over 50 optional rules (Steve can give the exact number)that can be chosen when you start a game. The Optional Rules are further categorized into 7 groups. They are;

* Additional Units
* Land Rules
* Air Rules
* Naval Rules
* Supply Rules
* Production Rules
* Other Rules

Not all optional rules apply to all scenarios. For example, the Chinese Attack Weakness optional rule cannot affect the Barbarossa scenario because it only has Germany and the USSR as playable nations.

Below are captures of the Start A New Game Screen, Select Optional Rules form. When a player right clicks any optional rule on that screen a Contextual Help form displays the rules governing it. These captures show those help forms to give you an idea of how large this game is and can be.

Divisions

Attachments
divisions.jpg
divisions.jpg (528.77 KiB) Viewed 236 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

RE: Optional Rules

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Artillery

Attachments
Artillery.jpg
Artillery.jpg (509.41 KiB) Viewed 236 times
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Ski Troops

Attachments
SKITROOPS.jpg
SKITROOPS.jpg (265.69 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Engineers - Combat

Attachments
EngineersCombat.jpg
EngineersCombat.jpg (489.44 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Engineers - Construction

Attachments
Engineers..truction.jpg
Engineers..truction.jpg (408.8 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

If there is interest, I have been granted permission to post more of these.

mo reb
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

That could be most valuable when selecting options, everybody knows something about them, but very few know all about them, so it takes time to agree, checking the rulebook back and forth, and when you are in the game later, some people have unexpected (and unpleasant) surprises...
shaddock

Post by shaddock »

I, for one, am keen to see more.
save the carrots; eat a vegan!
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Territorials

Attachments
Territorials.jpg
Territorials.jpg (382.92 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Partisans

Attachments
Partisans.jpg
Partisans.jpg (396.21 KiB) Viewed 236 times
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

I remember Steve indicating that there are some standard packages of optional rules for players to select, which I would assume are fairly well balanced between those that favor Axis and those that favor Allies. I'd still be interested to see some relative ranking of the many different options (neutral, slightly favor Axis/Allies, strongly favor Axis/Allies, etc.) to get a better feel for how each option affects gameplay. Players who choose to customize their game could use information like that.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I remember Steve indicating that there are some standard packages of optional rules for players to select, which I would assume are fairly well balanced between those that favor Axis and those that favor Allies. I'd still be interested to see some relative ranking of the many different options (neutral, slightly favor Axis/Allies, strongly favor Axis/Allies, etc.) to get a better feel for how each option affects gameplay. Players who choose to customize their game could use information like that.

If you look to the bottom right, Default Optional Rules, there are some preset templates; Novice, Standard, and Advanced. Personal Set allows you to save your own sets also.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Chinese Warlords

Attachments
ChineseWarlords.jpg
ChineseWarlords.jpg (380.09 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Klydon

Post by Klydon »

Great stuff on the optional rules. Keep it coming! [:)]
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Siberians

Attachments
Siberians.jpg
Siberians.jpg (269.79 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Pilots

Attachments
Pilots.jpg
Pilots.jpg (447.58 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Carrier Planes

Attachments
CarrierPlanes.jpg
CarrierPlanes.jpg (444.1 KiB) Viewed 239 times
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

Please keep adding additional optional rules screens to this thread. The more I see, the more I'm considering ordering. One question. Since this title has no AI, will this version tell you when you are doing something against the rules? For example, Chinese Warlords has specific movement and unit removal rules. If I forget and do something against the rules I'm hoping that there will be a prompt to inform me. Until there is an AI version, I'll be playing this game solo so there won't be an opponent to let me know if I violate any rules.
Thank you.
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Post by Ur_Vile_WEdge »

ns, everybody knows something about them, but very few know all about them, so it takes time to agree, checking the rulebook back and forth, and when you are in the game later, some people have unexpected (and unpleasant) surprises...

Wait a sec.

For the Partisan entry "There is a maximum to the number of partisans that can be organized in a country"

I don't remember any such rule being in the board game. Granted, it might have been there and never came up, those guys have a short shelf life, but was that something that was added in for the computer game? And if so, what's the maximum # of partisans per country?

Edit: And the thing about Carrier planes CV only? Was that the rule, I think it was suggested in one of the annuals, that a CVP can only do rebase missions if not on a CV? (So no using them as backup fighters or nav2s)
"When beset by danger,
When in deadly doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout."
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge
ns, everybody knows something about them, but very few know all about them, so it takes time to agree, checking the rulebook back and forth, and when you are in the game later, some people have unexpected (and unpleasant) surprises...

Wait a sec.

For the Partisan entry "There is a maximum to the number of partisans that can be organized in a country"

I don't remember any such rule being in the board game. Granted, it might have been there and never came up, those guys have a short shelf life, but was that something that was added in for the computer game? And if so, what's the maximum # of partisans per country?

Edit: And the thing about Carrier planes CV only? Was that the rule, I think it was suggested in one of the annuals, that a CVP can only do rebase missions if not on a CV? (So no using them as backup fighters or nav2s)
WIF FE controlled the number of partisans in a country by the counter limit.

With unlimited counters available in MWIF we had to do something to prevent a country becoming covered in partisan units. As more partisans appear in a country, the likelihood of more arriving increases. Without some upper limit it would be quite possible for the number to increase to an insane number. The actual mechanism for this is explained in the Players Manual section on Deviations from RAW.

In MWIF, carrier air units do not participate in combat unless they are flying from a carrier. However, that does enable them to fly missions to land hexes. Port attacks being the obvious case, but also ground strikes, ground support, and even paradrops - where they would only be able to fly as fighters.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “World in Flames”