Political Points

Civil War 2 is the definitive grand strategy game of the period. It is a turn based regional game with an emphasis on playability and historical accuracy. It is built on the renowned AGE game engine, with a modern and intuitive interface that makes it easy to learn yet hard to master.
This historical operational strategy game with a simultaneous turn-based engine (WEGO system) that places players at the head of the USA or CSA during the American Civil War (1861-1865).

Moderator: Pocus

Michael T

Political Points

Post by Michael T »

What are Political Points?

They are not National Morale right?
Michael T

RE: Political Points

Post by Michael T »

For example the game warns me that sacking some leader will cost 100 political points.

What does that equate too?
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

Every general has politic point value assigned to him. Higher politic value means higher politic penalties (NM and VP cost) for bypassing a general for promotion or Army command.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

If you hover the mouse over the create army button, the tooltip should tell you exactly how much VP and NM it will cost to bypass the higher seniority leader.

Jim
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Thanks, so Political Points are window dressing then. Its only NM that matters.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Victory Points *do* matter.

Page 6: If neither side can break the other’s morale, victory points will determine
the result of the game.

Page 14: Automatic Victory (or defeat) is achieved when one side reaches its minimum
or maximum “National Morale” (NM) level. However, if the game ends without
reaching an Automatic Victory, the “Victory Points” (VP s) of each side determine
the winner. The side with more VP s wins the war and the level of victory is based
on the VP difference.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Are you saying Political Points = Victory Points?
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

No. There are no political points in the game, just a politic value for each general.

A general's politic value dictates the NM and VP penalties you suffer if you promote a less senior general to the rank of 2* or 3* ;or, you bypass the current general and assign a less senior general to Army command. The higher the politic value, the higher the NM and VP penalties you pay when skipping seniority; so, continually skipping seniority when promoting generals or assigning army command may cost you ultimate victory in the game via the NM and VP penalties you suffer.

N.B.: the lower a general's seniority number, the higher his seniority in the command hierarchy.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Thanks, so Political Points are window dressing then. Its only NM that matters.

You also need VPs as the currency for some decisions or regional cards you might want to play, so you need to be careful about expending them on dismissing Generals
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

I think I was thrown a red herring by an event I saw that stated "100 Political Points will be lost if you replace so and so"

I fully understand the other concepts mentioned. Its just this one above that has thrown me.
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

Maybe you misread the event? Maybe it said 100 VPs will be lost if you replace so and so? There's no way the game engine would charge 100 NM for appointing a less senior general, since this would end almost any game real quick.

If not, then maybe there's an error in the text string used in the code. It should probably say Victory Points, not Political Points.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Here is the event and tooltip message.

Attachments
Event.jpg
Event.jpg (281.65 KiB) Viewed 245 times
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

I had the message.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Because the Union can create unlimited Armies, though, you never have to pay that penalty. Just send the Leader and his "army" to some rear area, and create a new one with the guy you want.

There probably should be a limit on number of armies you can create, which would prevent that workaround, but for now, that's the way you do it
The Red Baron

Post by The Red Baron »

I have to believe the tooltip text is incorrect. It should say Victory Points, not Political Points. The games does not track political points and paying 100 in NM would be too steep a price. The developers should address this one.
mmarquo

Post by mmarquo »

The Union can only build as many armies as their are 3* generals, it is limited.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Marquo

The Union can only build as many armies as their are 3* generals, it is limited.

This is true, but for purposes of avoiding the penalties, it's all you need to do. One army for every 3* general.
Ace1_slith

Post by Ace1_slith »

ORIGINAL: The Red Baron

I have to believe the tooltip text is incorrect. It should say Victory Points, not Political Points. The games does not track political points and paying 100 in NM would be too steep a price. The developers should address this one.

Actually, it should say politic rating of general is 100 points - you can see this rating for every general in unit info. The higher political rating, more cost if he is bypassed.
veji1

Post by veji1 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Because the Union can create unlimited Armies, though, you never have to pay that penalty. Just send the Leader and his "army" to some rear area, and create a new one with the guy you want.

There probably should be a limit on number of armies you can create, which would prevent that workaround, but for now, that's the way you do it

This is a big no no... The course of the war in the east depends on the Union having to do with the bad political generals, a Union that can optimize its command structure too quickly sort of breaks the game...
Adieu Ô Dieu odieux... signé Adam
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: veji1

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

This is a big no no... The course of the war in the east depends on the Union having to do with the bad political generals, a Union that can optimize its command structure too quickly sort of breaks the game...

I agree, you don't even need the "HQ support"unit anymore for an army. Seems to me another "streamlined" feature to make it easier on "casual" players.

Return to “Civil War II”