Prerequisite install by command installer incomplete in Windows 8.1

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

dagvl

Prerequisite install by command installer incomplete in Windows 8.1

Post by dagvl »

Hi,

I installed Command on a newly installed Windows 8.1 computer today. I first installed the base game, then the 1.01 update and then the Command_B451 update.

When installing both installers, I let it run the prerequisite installers. For both .net 4.0 and 4.5 it popped up a window telling me that those were part of Windows 8.1 already, while the DX setup ran without any messages.

After this, I had a command.exe that crashed on startup. I attached a profiler to it and saw that it was looking for a DirectX DLL, but it couldn't find it. Reboot did not help.

I then ran the dxsetup from the prequisites installer, and when run this way (that is not running through the command installer) it also opened the Add Windows Feature window and prompted me to install the ".NET Framwork 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" feature. I let that install, and after this Command runs.

I think (although my memory might be at fault here) that the Managed DirectX libraries requires .NET 2.0 to be installed) so you might want to also make sure that this dependency gets installed by the installer since it is not available on Windows 8.1 (and maybe Windows 8 also?) by default.

Dimitris

RE: Prerequisite install by command installer incomplete in Windows 8.1

Post by Dimitris »

Thanks for taking the time to look into this! I'll talk with our installer guys to see what we can do.

There is also a parallel development on the horizon that could, in the future, free us from the constraints of MDX.

Return to “Tech Support”