Interesting install

Alea Jacta Est is a series of Ancient Strategy Games using the renowned and proven AGE engine. The first in the series is Alea Jacta Est, which features the Roman Civil Wars. Other games in the series are Birth of Rome and Parthian Wars. The latest entry, Hannibal: Terror of Rome, highlights the Second Punic War.
Brigz

Interesting install

Post by Brigz »

I bought BOR first and it runs fine. Then I bought the Cantabrian expansion and found out it has to be installed to AGE. So I bought AGE and installed the Cantabrian campaign and both run fine. To my surprise, when I started BOR and looked in the campaign list, all the BOR campaigns were there as well as all the AGE campaigns and the Cantabrian Wars. (BTW - I ran the newest patches for both AGE and BOR right after I installed them.)

Will the AGE campaigns run under BOR? Should I delete the AGE campaigns from the BOR files? Seems a bit strange to me.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Missouri_Rebel

RE: Interesting install

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Oops
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

The short answer is yes. You should be able to play your AJE scenarios under BOR, and vice versus, after all you now own both.

When BOR was initially released the games were completely distinct and separate. Many AJE/BOR players wanted to be able to load their scenarios from whichever instance (AJE or BOR) they had started. So AGEOD created a patch that would allow owners of both to see and run the scenarios from the other game.

If you start AJE, you should be able to see the BOR scenarios as well. And _No_!!!, do not delete anything! [:-]
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hi guys.

A little clarification:

1. AJE original scenarios are, of course, playable through AJE

2. BOR, patched to the latest update, will allow to play BOR scenarios and will search your computer for AJE scenarios installed somewhere else. If found (i.e., if you own AJE), AJE scenarios will appear in BOR scenario list and will be fully playable via BOR

3. BOR scenarios are not recognized nor playable through AJE

4. Expansion scenarios (ex: parthian wars) are meant to be installed in AJE. They can be played via AJE but BOR will also recognize they are installed and will allow you to play them via BOR.

Bottom line:

If you own AJE and BOR, you can play everything via BOR (BOR scenarios, AJE scenarios, expansion scenarios). If you own just AJE, you can play AJE scenarios and expansion scenarios.

Hope it's clear...[:'(]

Regards
Former AJE team member
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

Yes, Franciscus, that is exactly what I began to realize. After buying BOR, I was so impressed with the game that I decided to buy AGE too, but I thought I'd try one of the add-on campaigns first. When I realized the add-on wasn't going to run under BOR alone, I went ahead and bought AGE.

I have yet to actually play out a game. I've been busy just learning it and reading the manual. As soon as I can I'll sit down and get serious about it.

Unfortunately I've been distracted by the latest incarnation of TOAW III. Well, it's new to me since my TOAW III game has not been installed on my newest computer I bought nearly a year ago.

Thanks for the explanation Franciscus, and you too Oldsarge. And Missouri_Rebel... didn't I read that you are going in for surgery soon? If that's true then good luck and hope you have a quick recovery, or at least some good drugs!
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

Yep strange, now have two game shortcuts, one for each. thanks for the info.
I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.
… Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Perigord

Return to “Alea Jacta Est Series”