Deal of the Week

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

catwhoorg

Deal of the Week

Post by catwhoorg »

WiP:AE (and War Plan Orange) are the deals of the week this week.

To anyone on the fence, buy now, you will not regret it.
JocMeister

RE: Deal of the Week

Post by JocMeister »

37% off! [X(] Thats a GREAT deal. [:)]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

And to think I bought my AE at full price.... I could have waited a few years.........

NOT!
sogcomando

Post by sogcomando »

I've been on the fence for six months, hooked by Cuttlefish's extraordinary Hibiki adventures which I leisurely read over a full month while here in Afghanistan as well as Cribtop's AAR with CF which I caught up with today. How often does this one go on sale to this degree (I mean, does Matrix have Black Friday sales?) 30% off does seem like a pretty sweet deal.
"A military Veteran, whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The country they are a citizen of" for the amount of 'up to, and including his or her life'.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

With these particular games, I would say not too often.  At the sale price, it's well worth the time you'd spend playing with it.

Ed-
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Didn't know WPO existed. Looks like fun. Worth $20 to me.
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

Actually, with old WITP, I struggled to get into the campaign game due to not getting my head around the map -- especially in the DEI area and such.  I wound up starting a campaign game in WPO and was able to ease my way into this, being that this game went at a more relaxed pace.  It's amazing how quickly the turns go without all the airpower present.  You can get into long periods of time where not much of anything is going on.

I've always liked pre-dreads, and this game has them aplenty.  I would love to see this "AE-ized", just for the new map scale, but I know it's not likely ever.

Ed-
catwhoorg

Post by catwhoorg »

There were on sale last Holiday season, I'd have to check my receipt to work out by how much (I dipped my toe in then)

I'm not sure if the deal of the week series is in addition to holiday sales, but you won't find the game on sale at this price more than once or twice a year.
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

IMHO the deal of the week is the peace agreement between Quixote and Cannonfodder. That's been a great war! [&o]
BlitzimX

Post by BlitzimX »

I just discovered WPO and i was wondering if, as Mundy says, it would be a good way to start the WITP series, since you got less things to take into account.

Are the mechanisms the same than WITPAE or are they too fundamentaly different to be used as a sort of "super" tutorial ?
gradenko2k

Post by gradenko2k »

ORIGINAL: BlitzX

I just discovered WPO and i was wondering if, as Mundy says, it would be a good way to start the WITP series, since you got less things to take into account.

Are the mechanisms the same than WITPAE or are they too fundamentaly different to be used as a sort of "super" tutorial ?
The basic controls and broad strokes of strategy are similar enough that you can use WPO as training wheels, but if you know you're going to get WITP:AE anyway, I would advise either getting both of them now or skipping right to WITP:AE.
BlitzimX

Post by BlitzimX »

I already have WITP:AE :)
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

WPO is more like the original WITP, complete with the 60 nMi hexes.

Ed-
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

And to think I bought my AE at full price.... I could have waited a few years.........

NOT!

Yes, I just passed 1300 turns in my four year campaign with Viberpol. Think I can get them to send me a refund?[;)]
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Didn't know WPO existed. Looks like fun. Worth $20 to me.

I was just about to pull the trigger on WPO when AE released.

The only real drawback of WPO is that it is the old WITP engine.

Feels difficult to go back to for me after getting a taste of AE.
Hans

Feltan

Post by Feltan »

FLASH FLASH FLASH FLASH

WITP-AE is a great bargain at any price!

The game offers more entertainment value than books, cable TV, movies, and watching sports. About the only thing that beats the entertainment value of WITP-AE is sex, and that is only if you are under 40 years old or so.

Regards,
Feltan
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

ORIGINAL: sogcomando

I've been on the fence for six months, hooked by Cuttlefish's extraordinary Hibiki adventures which I leisurely read over a full month while here in Afghanistan as well as Cribtop's AAR with CF which I caught up with today. How often does this one go on sale to this degree (I mean, does Matrix have Black Friday sales?) 30% off does seem like a pretty sweet deal.

Wow, thanks for the compliment, sogcomando! It's fitting as Cuttlefish's Hibiki AAR convinced me to make the jump to PBEM.
sogcomando

Post by sogcomando »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

ORIGINAL: sogcomando

Wow, thanks for the compliment, sogcomando! It's fitting as Cuttlefish's Hibiki AAR convinced me to make the jump to PBEM.

You are welcome, Cribtop, and by the way, many congratulations on your campaign to date with CF, I can only hope to be half as skilled an opponent as you in the future... which means I am pulling the trigger on getting this deal. I was just worried about the time factor with two young ones in elementary school and a wife who will not enjoy seeing my attention split even more. But what else am I going to do in my free time while I am here?

Thanks to all who convinced me with their unbridled enthusiasm for WitP AE. [&o]
"A military Veteran, whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The country they are a citizen of" for the amount of 'up to, and including his or her life'.
Cribtop

Post by Cribtop »

Woo Hoo! Glad to hear it. I have a wife and 3 kids. How do I play AE? Slowly and late at night. [:D]
Hotschi

Post by Hotschi »

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Woo Hoo! Glad to hear it. I have a wife and 3 kids. How do I play AE? Slowly and late at night. [:D]

My wife loves to do knitting. There's a lot of counting stuff she needs to do when knitting. Don't ask me what she counts, knitting to me is like nuclear fission - I have no clue. Evenings, when she starts her beloved hobby, I start talking to her and ask a couple questions everytime she looks to concentrate on her needles and stuff.

I just have to be a nuisance untill she says "Go play your game!"

Works everytime. [:D]
"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”