Helicopter Readiness

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

Werezak

Helicopter Readiness

Post by Werezak »

I've noticed on the Dawn's First Light Scenario, my Mi-24 assault helicopters loose readiness very quickly, going from around 80% readiness to between 20% and 0% in the first action, after which they become uncommandable and kept trying to resupply in the middle of NATO lines.

A) Is this a bug?
B) Am I doing something wrong? If so, what could it be?

I did move the helicopter groups outside of the command range of the HiHQ, though I kept them together with their helicopter HQs. Also the unit info sidebar reported <= 0 hexes from HQ.
loki100

RE: Helicopter Readiness

Post by loki100 »

there seems to be a couple of scenarios where this happens.

the best is to hold them back early on and give them the resupply order, they will sort themselves in an order cycle or two. If you use the auto resupply they will resupply anywhere, but are very vulnerable while this happens, if they go out of supply while engaged, switch their orders to move-hasty and pull them back behind your lines.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I've noticed the same thing as of late. Looked ok in earlier testing but appears to be dropping like a stone again. I have made an adjustment to the rate and I am testing it more tonight. Should be fixed in the next update. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Odd. I'm playing Dawn's First Light pbem and used the Hinds quite poorly as scouts. They have all hung in there, despite a real beating except for one pair that was out of supply. Using the 2.0.1 build.
Werezak

Post by Werezak »

If anyone wants more detail about what I was doing:

I attempted to send my helicopters north and south in a kind of pincer action to locate NATO positions and harass NATO's rear in preparation for a ground assault. It actually went very well at first, In the first action I got lucky and located the NATO HiHQ, several other HQs and did some heavy damage while taking few losses. However by the next turn, all of my helicopters were at nearly 0% readiness and many were auto-resupplying while in contact with NATO ground forces. Even if they survived the 30 mins and brought back up to 40-50% readiness, they quickly dropped back down 0% by the next action and were pretty much stuck in place.

This seemed pretty severe to me so I am glad it is getting some attention. I did send them deep into enemy territory though, so I'm wondering how the game is supposed to treat helicopter units. Are they independent, like recon, or do they suffer the same as ground units for moving outside of command ranges? The unit information panel always says <= 0 Hexes from HQ no matter where I put them.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Helos are always "in command". Recovery from readiness should be done / attempted out of the line of fire. Low ammo units should pull back to the HiHQ.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”