Trained Monkeys_101 Scenario School

Visit here to get your questions about scenario making answered.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Mad Russian

Trained Monkeys_101 Scenario School

Post by Mad Russian »

During the last computer wargame project I was involved with, I was included on the team to help do the scenarios. During the project it was said by one of the other members that even a trained monkey can make a scenario.

I agree with him. Anybody can, and often will/does, make a scenario. You and I both can.

So, then, what's the big deal?

Is that what you want? Did you start off wanting to create a scenario? Or did you start off with this tremendous idea for a scenario that you just had to create?!?

Because he's right. Even a trained monkey can create a scenario. Just not a good one, that someone else will think was worth their time to play.

I have a simple rule of thumb, when I'm done with the scenario, am I impressed with it?
If I'm not, neither will anyone else be. If, after I have played it, fine tuned it, got it where I think I want it, if I play it and it does what I started off to do with it, I share it with you.

Will it be the 'Greatest Scenario Ever Designed'? I don't know. It doesn't matter. I LIKE IT. That's what matters. Because, it will always have my name on it and I'll be proud that it does.

I was challenged by a member of my HSG design team, to see if I could make a one turn scenario for Combat Mission. They actually thought I could anything. It ended up that I could not. But I did create one that was only 4 turns long. I called it "A Real Challenge" because that's how it got it's life.

http://the-scenario-depot.com/scenario_ ... datarq=527

It ended up getting some very good reviews.

"Possibly the best scenario I have ever seen!! As close as I've ever experienced in a CM battle to FLAWLESS. I truly enjoyed having my butt kicked and I can't stop going back for more. Short battle lovers may find themselves re-playing this one obsessively. MR deserves a lifetime achievement award for this masterpiece. Proves to me that great designs don't have to include all the bells and whistles." (You can see the reviews at the bottom of the page if you are interested. Bottom left - Number of ratings: 4 Link will take you to them.) It's not my favorite scenario that I have done, but I did like it and so did others.

All because, when I was done creating that scenario I thought it was good enough to share with others.

The reason I'm offering to start the scenario design school, is because, you can do this. You can do this, either in the fashion of a trained monkey, or you can do this in A Real Challenge sort of way. To the point, when you are through, you have people that look for the work you created to play first.

If you want to learn how to create works that rock people's computer screens we can start with the school. I like to create scenarios so intense they threaten to crack their monitors. There are a few of those in this release. I hope you enjoy them.[;)]

The choice is yours. Let me know if we need to start to work showing you how to create the kinds of scenarios you will be proud to put your name on.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
DoubleDeuce

RE: Trained Monkeys_101 Scenario School

Post by DoubleDeuce »

Oh, I have plenty of ideas. [:D] Will this include map making? I'm gonna need some pointers on that too.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Scenario creation, for me, is a four step process.

1) Identify the situation I want to create. Do the research. Where did it happen? Who was involved? How detailed is the description of the action? Check, re-check, cross-check.

2) Create the map. Identify the exact location where the action took place on Google Earth. I understand that things change over the years. Check, re-check, cross-check. Is there more than one map to look at? Does the location in all the action reports agree with each other? If not, can we pinpoint exactly where the action took place? Once you have that location fixed you can create your map.

3) Take the map and create the battle on it. Put the units in the battle into the scenario.

4) Playtest it until you are satisfied it does what you like. If it does then release it so others can enjoy it as well. Let playtesting confirm the mode it plays best in. Don't force a scenario to be something it's not. If it doesn't play well as a NATO scenario see how it plays from the Warsaw Pact side, or as a Head to Head scenario. Let it tell you how it plays best.

A good scenario has all four of these parts and we'll go through all of them.

Good Hunting.

MR

deadsunwheel

Post by deadsunwheel »

Thanks for starting this thread MR. I am currently working through putting together a Head to Head scenario and any tips are appreciated. Though the game already has a whole range of fantastic scenarios I need MORE! The great thing about the WWIII setting is that you can design anything you want, only your imagination is the limit for what is possible.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: deadsunwheel

Thanks for starting this thread MR. I am currently working through putting together a Head to Head scenario and any tips are appreciated. Though the game already has a whole range of fantastic scenarios need MORE! The great thing about the WWIII setting is that you can design anything you want, only your imagination is the limit for what is possible.

That can make step 1 either easier or infinitely harder, depending on your goal. By nature I'm a historic gamer. I play battles that have happened. My scenarios are generally models of battles that have already happened.

To recreate a battle that's already happened you just need some AAR's, of as good a quality as possible, and the location. You already have the outcome.

When you do what if scenarios you may be able to do away with some of that. The research may not be needed if you aren't particular if the battle 'fits' some story line. The location can be anywhere that strikes your fancy and makes sense. The OOB can be just going down the list of equipment/units and saying, "I'll take 1 of those, 3 of those, and Oh Hey, a couple of those would be nice."

Or it can be as exhausting as a historical one if it must fit into a specific storyline.

First question is: Are you going to make your own map?

Good Hunting.

MR

deadsunwheel

Post by deadsunwheel »

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian
First question is: Are you going to make your own map?

At this point I am not ready to take on my own map building. The vast array of maps already available should provide opportunity for a great number of scenarios as it is. Just look what can be done in the board game world with one static map.

The scenario so far is a classic pocket. An exhausted and depleted Scots Guards Brigade (thanks to The Plodder for his amazing OOB) are caught in a closing noose in Suddendorf in '85. At the begining of the mission a Soviet reserve regiment has almost shut the door on the trap but the British have some Harriers on the way. Basically what I want to accomplish in the Scenario is three things.

i- Have a small elite, well equipped, but demoralized force face up against a massive green or militia force that are relatively poorly equipped. I think a lot of wargamers have a fondness for the Rorke's Drift scenario.

ii- The NATO player should have to decide if making a break for the exit hexes or holding firm is the better option for victory.

iii- The Soviet player should have to worry about his brittle forces collapsing and allowing the British to escape if he pushes too hard.

Initially I had wanted to make a direct translation of the Kiss Goodbye World at War scenario but my map making skills are not up to the task. Having tested the mission a few times the AI seems to have some trouble with the Soviet side, wanting to drive on the lone objective hex instead of closing the trap. I am thinking another victory hex on the main exit road may be necessary.

I am really looking forward to seeing the rest of this thread. Thanks for all the continuous support MR.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Suddendorf can be found on map Red Storm 14. It's just below where the right river comes down out of the north map edge.

That's tight but it looks like enough room for a small battle.

Is your intended perspective to be from the Soviet side? Some battles can be done from both sides with slight adjustments. I would recommend focusing on one side and seeing how that does. Then, if you think it could make a good scenario in another perspective look at that after you have created the first one.

Good Hunting.

MR

deadsunwheel

Post by deadsunwheel »

The intended perspective initially was the NATO side, but the AI constantly leaving the retreat hexes open made me shift my focus to a Head to Head game. Not that this is a bad thing in my opinion. Playing games against other people, win or lose, always seems a more rewarding experience than besting an AI no matter how well designed.

I don't want to hijack your thread though. Please continue with your tips, I am eager to learn. Let's get building.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: deadsunwheel

The intended perspective initially was the NATO side, but the AI constantly leaving the retreat hexes open made me shift my focus to a Head to Head game. Not that this is a bad thing in my opinion. Playing games against other people, win or lose, always seems a more rewarding experience than besting an AI no matter how well designed.

I don't want to hijack your thread for though. Please continue with your tips, I am eager to learn. Let's get building.

Start a thread in the mod's and scenarios section and we'll work on it. I would think it might still be able to be done from the NATO perspective. I believe we just have to do one thing to make that work.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

MR, Do you want this in the main forum of the Scenarios and Mods forum? I can move it if you want it to.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

MR, Do you want this in the main forum of the Scenarios and Mods forum? I can move it if you want it to.

What I would like is a separate section for Scenario School. We'll see how Erik views that.

Good Hunting.

MR

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You could pin this topic to the top of the Scenario and Mods section.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

Scenario creation, for me, is a four step process.

1) Identify the situation I want to create. Do the research. Where did it happen? Who was involved? How detailed is the description of the action? Check, re-check, cross-check.

I will spend as much time doing the research for a scenario, as I do any other part.

Especially, if I do a port of a scenario from another game. The original scenario is the intellectual property of the original designer. I don't need to simply copy his work, not to mention that there is a huge legality issue there.

What interested me in the first place was the situation. So, with situation information firmly in hand, I go and do a complete research update for it. You will be amazed at the difference in the amount of information available to you now compared with what was available to the original designer; back in his day. Pretty much no matter the time period. I want the scenario to be as accurate as possible, for the same situation, and normally that means my scenario, for the exact same situation, ends up looking considerably different than the original.

Writing game briefings can also take me a long time. I want to get the, 'boots on the ground' affect and bring as much immersion into the game as possible. A lot of that immersion can be done with your briefings. Don't worry about how long or short they are. If they convey the information you want to get across, they are just right.

Doing the briefings at the time of the research is a natural, since you have all the AAR information together in one place, at one time, right then.

Good Hunting.

MR

danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Please keep the informative information flowing. Even though I have had a computer since 1981 i have never been very computer
literate. The title of this thread says a lot to me. The saying should go "Even a well trained monkey who knew what he was doing
and knew the scenario process inside out could do it". I believe people who say things like this are obnoxious and gratuitously
insulting. They teach many computer basics in school these days. When I went to school a "computer" was that female voice on Star Trek.
I remember not too long ago being led to a computer and told to prepare a Power Point presentation of a huge amount of technical
data with which I was quite familiar. Upon telling my much younger colleague that I had no idea how Power Point worked at all
he gaped at me in disbelief and said something like "Power Point is so easy a monkey could do it!!" and walked away.
It is to my credit that I did not strike him dead on the spot for such are my other powers. In spite of my technical expertise and
later familiarity with the program preparing a power point presentation cold with no instruction on the software whatsoever is beyond
a monkey. I should have asked him if he knew how to change the printer ribbon on a teletype machine... since Brian "Booboo" Murphy could do it.
Rant over. Love the game.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Scenario School”