AH D-Day

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

sweeteye

AH D-Day

Post by sweeteye »

I decided to take a breather from my Waterloo game making project for a short time...Have worked myself to a standstill and am now beginning the rulebook writing phase...Decided to take a closer look at the Avalon Hill D-Day game I purchased several weeks ago..One of my older brothers had a copy of it back in the early 1970's and I well remember playing it.The game I just purchased is a first edition copy printed in 1961....The box is a little worn but the board and pieces are in amazingly good shape.By using the D-Day Vassal module I was able to check and see if all the counters are together.I found three missing counters and have been able to replace them with the spare counters that come with the game.Not too bad overall for a fifty two year old game...I just love these original wargames....As a collector they really appeal to me because they represent the first use of the counter and hex wargame idea....As a hobby wargame designer they are great for me to study...Their beauty is in their simplicity....Could not resist making a post...tried to get a few decent pictures just for the sake of it...slightest movement of the cell phone camera seems to blur the shot.

Headquarters Company
422nd Regiment 106th Division
Sons of World War II Veterans

Missouri_Rebel

RE: AH D-Day

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Thanks for the pics and story.

We had a neighborhood friend when I was a young boy named Lam Van Hi (sp). This is going from a young boys memory of about 8, in '77 or so, but as I recall his stepfather was a soldier in Vietnam and married Lams mom. Lam by this time spoke very good English. We became best friends instantly.

Lams stepfather was very strict. I mean very strict and corporal punishments were given out for the slightest screw up. One of his dad's rule was no one in the house when they weren't home. Living in a time where children stayed home at an early age, we spent the summers hanging out, often in his house when we weren't supposed to.

I remember this like it was yesterday. His s.father played some sort of huge war game that was always set up on table in the living room. One day while we were in his house my older brother was using his phone. Kurt had the phone and was walking to the next room with it, extending the cord at least 15 feet. Well Kurt being the clutz he was brushed the phone cord across this massive game and I remember seeing pieces fly. Lam instantly started crying and being the good friends that we were we left immediately. We didn't see lam for over a month except driving away to places with his folks. Poor kid.

I hadnt thought of that story in years. Sorry to hijack your thread and quite possibly bore you, but Maybe you could answer this for me;

It had to be around '76 or '77. In my head the game was a Vietnam wargame. Were there any Vietnam based games at that time that you know of? If so, do you recall what they were?

Thanks. Again, sorry for the hijack but that old game had me reminiscing.

Mo reb

I just remembered one of the reasons we went over there a lot. His stepfather had a stack of Oui magazines. We called them O-U-I never knowing it was French. Very good articles.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

No problem...I do not mind being hijacked at all...I do not really recall any Vietnam games at that time...That war was still fairly fresh in everyones minds at that time....perhaps someone else might ....Counters flying everywhere does make me think of a hazard I do have right now though....I have a very energetic kitten that likes to bat dice around and chew on counters when he jumps up on the table....[X(]
Headquarters Company

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Yeah. Maybe I just thought it was Vietnam since his dad was a vet. And yes the war was very fresh. Lam was given a hard go many times by some of the kids. My uncle, who is one of the nicest most peace loving guys in the world was in some very bad places when he was a marine in Vietnam. He joined because he didn't want to be drafted into the army, his father being a WWII combat marine vet from the 1st division. I learned later in life through my mother that he hated being around when Lam would come over. I never remembered seeing it but evidently it was something that really bothered him. Odd when you think about the man he is, but I can kind of understand.

Another little bit. That same uncle left vietnam the very same day I was born August 18th 1969 and we were always close because of that I think. He used to say we were both born on that day.

As far as cats? Good luck with that. Scattered counters are bad. Chewed counters make an outside barn cat.

Did it come with the rule book?
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Strange choice of colours for the Axis and Allies!!
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Have made some progress with training the kitten over the past week or so...I have learned to keep all chairs away from the table when I am not around to watch..This helps significantly..Also,I have a little fly swatter that the cat really does not like at all.All I need to do is pick up the swatter and he runs for cover...Unfortunately I am living in an apartment complex right now and have no barn or outbuilding where I could have the cat temporarily reside....[:)] I do have a fairly large yard for an apartment complex and some woods and bushes....He is an indoor outdoor cat....
Headquarters Company

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Trained cats? They're much too spiteful for that kind of conformity.

I see trouble on the horizon. I'm having flashbacks. Run Lam! Run!

Edit. I can't stand using this tablet to type. Errors everywhere. I look like I'm illegitimate. [:D]
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Yes I know what you mean....cats are pretty hard to thoroughly train....Here he is...His name is Rascal......He certainly lives up to his name....

Headquarters Company

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I'm no expert here, but that cat looks like trouble.
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Oh he is trouble alright....extremely playful....likes to attack my feet with full force..will ambush you when you least expect it...
Headquarters Company

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Lol. Thanks again for the pics and keep us updated.
parusski

Post by parusski »

Well sweeteye you have just caused me to get out my copy of D-Day. I sit here in the middle of the night caressing the counters and gently touching...NEVERMIND.[:D]
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Almost forgot to add.....Game did come with a rulebook and charts...Has a very different early edition combat chart.You lay the defenders card over the attackers card and it gives you the odds and correct combat chart to use..As for the colors...typical of early Avalon Hill games...Blue and pink...must not of had a good selection of ink for printing ...
Headquarters Company

dougo33

Post by dougo33 »

The game about Vietnam I remember around that era was from SPI called "Year of the Rat" about the 1972 offensive.

I also played many games of this D-Day game from AH. Thanks for the memories

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

We had a neighborhood friend when I was a young boy named Lam Van Hi (sp). This is going from a young boys memory of about 8, in '77 or so, but as I recall his stepfather was a soldier in Vietnam and married Lams mom. Lam by this time spoke very good English. We became best friends instantly.

Lams stepfather was very strict. I mean very strict and corporal punishments were given out for the slightest screw up. One of his dad's rule was no one in the house when they weren't home. Living in a time where children stayed home at an early age, we spent the summers hanging out, often in his house when we weren't supposed to.

I remember this like it was yesterday. His s.father played some sort of huge war game that was always set up on table in the living room. One day while we were in his house my older brother was using his phone. Kurt had the phone and was walking to the next room with it, extending the cord at least 15 feet. Well Kurt being the clutz he was brushed the phone cord across this massive game and I remember seeing pieces fly. Lam instantly started crying and being the good friends that we were we left immediately. We didn't see lam for over a month except driving away to places with his folks. Poor kid.

I hadnt thought of that story in years. Sorry to hijack your thread and quite possibly bore you, but Maybe you could answer this for me;

It had to be around '76 or '77. In my head the game was a Vietnam wargame. Were there any Vietnam based games at that time that you know of? If so, do you recall what they were?

Mo reb

I just remembered one of the reasons we went over there a lot. His stepfather had a stack of Oui magazines. We called them O-U-I never knowing it was French. Very good articles.
berto

Post by berto »

In the early 1960s, AH D-Day was one of my first war games. (AH Gettysburg was the very first.) I played the thing to death. Ah, the memories.
Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10167
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

That's close to the typical starting set up I used to use :)
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

Yes... I guess you could call my initial German setup kind of typical or perhaps standard.Really have to heavily guard the northeastern coast...Lack of enough German units to guard the whole coastline around the board does not leave you too many options for setup.The Allies get an easy invasion if they choose to invade from the west or south.I chose to invade this time from the southwest in the Bay of Biscay.An area I do not ever remember trying....Once again I have to play against myself..do not have a gaming buddy close by anymore....I still find the game interesting though....

Headquarters Company

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: dougo33

The game about Vietnam I remember around that era was from SPI called "Year of the Rat" about the 1972 offensive.

I also played many games of this D-Day game from AH. Thanks for the memories

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Mo reb

Not sure if I ever knew exactly what the map looked like now that I think of it. That could have been it though. Thanks.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: sweeteye

Almost forgot to add.....Game did come with a rulebook and charts...Has a very different early edition combat chart.You lay the defenders card over the attackers card and it gives you the odds and correct combat chart to use..As for the colors...typical of early Avalon Hill games...Blue and pink...must not of had a good selection of ink for printing ...
They caused such a shock when ANZIO TM came out with a multi cloured map and counter set.
Sadly, AH forgot accuracy in making their games interesting.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
sweeteye

Post by sweeteye »

I have always liked the earliest AH games the best...I have never been one for lots of details in the rules for a game.I like to be able to finish a game out fairly quickly without a lot of fuss....Now the computer can be used to calculate all the fine details of weapons and casualties..some computer games even include blood,guts,and dead bodies all over your screen..In comparison there is only so much you can do with cardboard counters,dice,and a combat chart...If you do try to put in a lot of details to a tabletop board game gameplay slows down to a snails pace.. I like a very basic playing game..
Headquarters Company

Return to “General Discussion”