Looking for german opponent for GC41

For non-server PBEM games, post here to look for an opponent.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

caliJP

Looking for german opponent for GC41

Post by caliJP »

Looking for an opponent that is more interested in going the distance (hopefully) rather than a quick win & out, and likes to keep it closer to reality, avoid too much game cheese

1.07.11beta
Full FoW
Prefer random weather (more real)
No bombing of HQ unless it is part of a stack
No dropping of paratroops in isolated manner just to break supply lines. Paras must be used in combined operations with other troops to achieve a military objective (I guess mostly for me)
No freeing the romanians or huns before T3 by the germans
To prevent a crazy Lvov pocket: germans can't get further east than hex column 56 on T1. This allows bagging most of the soviets along the border, but not the entire SW front before I even move 1 unit!

I can do 4-6 turns a week most of the time.

I am pretty new at this game, specially the soviet side, but I am a quick study :)
JP
caliJP

RE: Looking for german opponent for GC41

Post by caliJP »

I should have said about the last point and column 56: it only applies south of the Axis Limit Line, north of that, no limit.
JP
A game

Post by A game »

I would be interested, except for the restrictions on the Lvov pocket... Considering the Soviets can play ahistoricly and simply run away in 41 I think this handicaps the Axis far to much.

I like the rest of your rules though!

You should be able to find an opponent, seems like a few people are experimenting with the "no Lvov pocket" atm.
caliJP

Post by caliJP »

A game,

As german player, I have limited myself to the smaller pockets on T1 allowed by this rule on three games and was still able to make enough damage to the russians that all three gave up on T10 or before. So I don't think it is very restrictive. I don't run away like mad as soviet, but if my opponent pockets 80-90% of my AGS units before I have a chance to move on T1 because he knows exactly where each unit is, then I don't have anything left to resist. This is why this rule.

I am open to alternate suggestions re: avoiding a crazy T1 opening
JP
A game

Post by A game »

How would you feel about allowing a smaller Lvov pocket?

The restriction of no movement beyond hex 56 stays but the germans can unlock the romanians turn one? So basically allowing access to the Y96 hex column.
caliJP

Post by caliJP »

A game, it seems like it's kind of cheating for the germans to unlock their own allies early. I don't even understand why the game allows it. Of course it's to the germans advantage to get their allies started early, so why freezing them in the first place, but allow to unfreeze early, which everyone is going to want to do?
It should be: if the russians move too close, they unlock the romanians. If the germans move too close they unlock the russians. But not the other way around.
So I would prefer not to allow such gimmicks
JP
A game

Post by A game »

Fair enough, I understand and if the game was balanced better the Lvov pocket would be unnecessary. Anyway Im just getting started with Axis so I think I need the Lvov pocket to provide any credible challenge to my opponent!

Maybe when I have more experience I can try a no Lvov pocket turn 1.
caliJP

Post by caliJP »

Just to be clear, I am not saying no Lvov pocket, if you look at the map, with this you can still bag all the units around Lvov and Kovel.
JP
caliJP

RE: Looking for german opponent for GC41 (CLOSED)

Post by caliJP »

Opponent found
JP

Return to “Opponents Wanted”