Research question

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Research question

Post by Chris21wen »

Does a research factory repair quicker per trun if it has a larger size. E.g say I have two of the same type of reseach factory 0(5) and another 0(10) is they more chance of the larger factory repairing per turn before the smaller?
Mike Solli

RE: Research question

Post by Mike Solli »

I believe so. But, I also believe they repair at the same rate proportionally. That tells me they will both complete repairs about the same time. If I allocate a factory to R&D for a specific airframe, I set it's size to 30 immediately.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I believe so. But, I also believe they repair at the same rate proportionally. That tells me they will both complete repairs about the same time. If I allocate a factory to R&D for a specific airframe, I set it's size to 30 immediately.

That's what I thought and forgot when I started my latest game, thanks. Bang goes my latest plan for researching. I'd thought that I'd set some small i.e 0(5) and some 0(30) so that the 0(5) would repair in short term, I'd leave I'd leave it alone until the 0(30) is fully repaired. Then I'd increase the small one. Idea was I'd alway have something producing research points. Not panning out like that.
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Yeah, I used to think the same thing. There's one factory (Frank I think) that starts with 55 damaged. I left it there and started some other factories where I increased them to 30 each. Right now the size 55 factory is at 32 and the best of the size 30 factories is around 19. That's what I'm basing my answer on.
Created by the amazing Dixie
MrKane

Post by MrKane »

Base on my experience it seems that is not factory size what influence speed of repairing, but difference between size and number repaired factories. Bigger difference means greater chance to repair factory. With each repaired factories that number is smaller and it cause smaller chance to fix next. But this is only my speculations base on observation of my games.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: MrKane

Base on my experience it seems that is not factory size what influence speed of repairing, but difference between size and number repaired factories. Bigger difference means greater chance to repair factory. With each repaired factories that number is smaller and it cause smaller chance to fix next. But this is only my speculations base on observation of my games.

Except that you can have a 0(1) factory sitting there for a long, long time. Better to make it 0(30), it will repair points faster than if you wait until it's 1(0) before you expand to 1(1). I played 2 months doing it a point at a time, and it goes extremely slowly. Expand them as far as you plan to, right away. It will cost you time if you don't.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Correct. The reason for this is that you have the same exact odds of reparing R&D a 0(1) as you do of reparimg one factory of a 0(30). The differecnce is after the one point is repaired, you have to go in and add another point if you want to build it up while with the 30 point you don't have to remember to do that [:)]. Also 30 R&D factory size is the optimum value. Anything over that is not usefull for R&D acceleration.

For more details on this you can check out this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Correct. The reason for this is that you have the same exact odds of reparing R&D a 0(1) as you do of reparimg one factory of a 0(30). The differecnce is after the one point is repaired, you have to go in and add another point if you want to build it up while with the 30 point you don't have to remember to do that [:)]. Also 30 R&D factory size is the optimum value. Anything over that is not usefull for R&D acceleration.

For more details on this you can check out this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3329605

I don't think that's the case. I think it takes longer to repair one point of 0(1) than it does to repair one point of 0(30). I check R&D status daily. I will have to wait several days if I am only increasing the factories by one point per day. This is because the odds for repairing are based on the total size of the factory. The bigger the factory, the greater the odds you'll repair a point. This works in tandem with not getting any research points done until the factory is fully repaired - so while bigger factories will repair an absolute number of points faster, it will be longer before they can (potentially) produce any research points.
alimentary

Post by alimentary »

I don't think that's the case. I think it takes longer to repair one point of 0(1) than it does to repair one point of 0(30).

Correct. It is 30 times more likely that you will repair one point of your 0(30) than that you will repair the one point of your 0(1).

The probability of getting one point repaired on any given day is (total-factory-size)/(days-until-available). If the result is greater than 100% you are guaranteed to repair exactly one point on that day.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”